Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in Moraine, OH

Moraine, OH18 reviews
1. Management: It is very hard to tell if they genuinely don't care about their employees or if they care but they have no motivation to change anything because it is built into their job requirements. The only people that survive here are robots. 2. Work-Life Balance: This company loves to claim they support a healthy work-life balance but their bureaucratic hierarchy-based policies and procedures do the exact opposite. "Goals" outline by the company are more important than anything else, even people. They'd rather fire or push people to quit than develop any of their workers. Employees are treated like extensions of a machine and not the foundation of this company. You don't provide communication services if you don't have Captioning and Communication Assistants that are able to be there. 3.Career Mobility: You have two options, keep your head down and your mouth shut, or butt kiss and play favorites, you're not going anywhere any other way. 4. Punishment vs. Reinforcement: Along with their policies and procedures being poorly designed, this company uses punishments as disciplinary action rather than using reinforces to improve job performance. You can follow all of their rules and procedures for captioning, consistently perform at an exemplary level, and still be punished because of things that are out of your control.
Pros
meet all kinds of people from all walks of life
Cons
Harsh Policies, Inefficient Procedures, little career mobility. impersonal management, can't schedule to save their life, lacking dialogue
The other reviews on here definitely sum up the negatives of this place. But it really is not a horrible job. Rather mind numbing but not stressful. They will literally hire anyone off the dang street lol so if you need something to float you in the meantime while you find something meaningful to do with your life, it's pretty good.
Pros
Decent money for easy work
Cons
Easy to get fired if you dont do your job, boring, center is dull and dingy
This position is great for a student or someone just starting out and looking to get customer service experience. The management team is very positive and open to employee feedback.
Loved the work itself. Management was unprofessional, rude, and just looking for reasons to write you up. Getting anything on your schedule changed is the end of the world. They knew they had bed bugs and continued to do nothing about it.
If you are a CA, its an ok place to work. You can clock in/clock out and the day is over. Never have to take work home. AND as long as you do what is expected (work and dont goof off and dont miss work), it is easy, You may never really have to deal with supervisors. You may rarely even see them. so this is a big plus. It is very hard, though, to be up paid time off. But any advancement comes with little job security and not much more in pay or benefits. Plus, you have to deal with a management culture where goals continuously change, sometimes reversing themselves in a week. The corporate officers do not seem to have a coherent plan on what they want to do to achieve goals. Advice to management is to appreciate the staff at the call centers and recognize what they bring to the business, the money that you make to pay for all the great products and services that you want to provide. Increase pay and paid time off.
I've worked here for close to a year and a half as a captioning assistant. Rarely do they invest in CAs past training, raises are bi-yearly but have a nearly impossible criteria, Thw job itself is cake, but the administrative hoops and inefficiencies handed down from HQ to tge Ohio call center constantly throws wrenches in the gears and frustrates everyone. Local management is nice, but it's very clear that they work in the exact same cold, rigid, non-malleable system you do.
Management was a joke, SO much drama, place was infested with bed bugs and anytime you brought it to managements attention they would try to deny that it was bed bugs.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Bed bugs, drama
I worked here for about 6-7 months and I would never recommend anyone work here longer than that. I still know some people who work there and, unfortunately, things have gotten even worse. The job itself is incredibly dull. You sit at a computer all day listening to phone calls that can be mind-numbing. You are randomly tested everyday by one of the supervisors or team leads. Some of them are very lenient while others give you 0 benefit of the doubt and cut no slack. You are also tested monthly to ensure your speed and accuracy are good enough. You are practically glued to your seat. Anytime you log out (aside from 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch) that time counts against you. Breaks start as soon as you log out so they are really 10 minute breaks (if that). They advertise that you will have some down time to read/color/do puzzles/etc. but you don't because staffing is horrible. The turnover rate is absolutely astronomical. During my time, no less that 100-150 people came and went. People are treated as if they are incredibly disposable - even the ones who are good at the job. Some are fired due to poor performance but many leave because of all of these other factors. They use a point system for attendance. Its relatively fair but, if you call in and the person forgets to write you down, you could get slapped with a no-call no-show. Schedules are unpredictable. You fill out a days off and start time preference sheet but you might as well not because it doesn't really matter unless your seniority is extremely high. All schedules are computer generated so you can - more...
Pros
decent pay, friendly coworkers
Cons
high pressure, poor morale, absent upper management, poor schedule system
This place has the potential to be great, but is run by a bunch of greedy self-centered people. They want to get numbers and look good on paper; they could care less about their people. They see everyone as extremely disposable and often play favorites with the few people they do like. There's always something going wrong with the building we are in. Really a sad, sad place to work at. No upward mobility and very low morale. I could go on, but I will keep it short out of respect for the company.
The job is super easy once you get past the learning curve. You are micromanaged down to the minute, so your 15 min break or 30 min lunch break starts the second you log out of your computer. They kick you off the computer when your scheduled time is up but expect you to stay efficient with your timing, so don’t take bathroom breaks. They drag you away from your computer to tell you your score on a monitor and then you’re short a couple minutes of efficiency. They over staff on all holidays even though those are always the slowest days. You will work every single holiday, you are not allowed to ask for them off, it’s like they expect their staff to not take vacations. Every time off request I submitted that weren’t holidays were denied with no reason given. Upon turning in my two weeks notice I was told I would receive an email for an exit interview, I requested an in person exit interview and neither one happened. They have a very high turnover rate and don’t seem bothered by it. Seems like it’s designed that way on purpose. If you need something temporary, go for it but keep looking elsewhere. And the bathrooms are gross, huge gaps in the stalls so you can see everyone doing their business.
Pros
Easy job, can read in between calls
Cons
No scheduled time off, work every holiday, breaks are a joke, bathroom is terrible
This was the most ridiculous job I have ever had!! It is almost impossible to keep a job at this place and very little of it has to do with the actual job. It's petty things that have nothing to do with if you're doing your job correctly or not. They actually have a person who sits all day and monitors how many times you use the bathroom and if it doesn't meet their standards you get written up. If you have a pen in your hand- not writing but have a pen in your hand- when a supervisor walks by you're written up. If there is a huge accident on the highway and all lanes are shut down, you get written up unless 9 other people are late. If you have a straw in your drink you get written up. If you ask for time off and it's not approved (on the schedule you get a couple days before it starts) you get written up for taking your time. If you dont call in 12 hours in advance, write up. If you put your foot up on the chair that you sit in and dont move from for 8 hours a day, write up. If you want bedbugs this is the place to work. The company has had them since fall. But they "wipe doen the computers and sweep" so that should take care of it. This place does NOT care about its employees at all. If you need a job for a few weeks for a little added income i guess apply, but you wont have the job longer than a couple of months.
Pros
The actual job itself is cake
Cons
Literally everything else. Mgt, lies, schedules, bedbugs
So yeah, everything being said below about the insanity is true. If you're on the clock and not logged on, it's counted against you. "Relief Time" outside of breaks is a nasty drag on your "efficiency". So if you have to go to the bathroom more than once every 2 hours (or more) then your efficiency will drop seriously. The management is a joke. Most of the supervisors are maybe 25. They're nice people, but they're terrible supervisors. Their only job is to catch you breaking rules - and this is often fabricated for some reason. If you're not "chummy" with the supervisors (i.e. inviting them to hangout and supreme brown nosing) then they will pick on you more. The scheduling is a riot. Flexible is not what I would call it. It's supposedly based on seniority, except for when it's based on "maybe I don't like you that much". Getting holidays off is a nightmare. The scheduling is not done in a balanced or fair way in that sense; one CA could be forced to work every holiday even if they requested one off, while another gets every holiday off just because. Changing your schedule is also a mess, since they wait to the literal last second to reveal if your request was granted or not, forcing some people to leave. On the subject of fair, chew on this: every day you get a monitor. If you're above 95 on that monitor, you are GOLD. Below a 90? Not so much. But wait! What if you average out to a 99 over a period of months? It doesn't matter. You can score a 100 on every. single. monitor. and the day you score an 89 they knock your status down. One bad day can absolutely ruin - more...
Pros
Great for immediate short term work
Cons
Did you read what I just wrote?
Nothing to tip. Everything was nice. Managers were nice and fair. Good working environment. Easy job to do.clean working conditions. Quick and easy training process.
There are many rules to everything at CSD and they are not listed in the employee manual so you have to learn them along the way when you do something and later learn it was wrong. Get written up for many things, which can be nit picky. Rules are more important than being a good worker. Good place to get some experience and to know the Deaf culture. Bad place to build experience over long haul. People often leave because of being lied to or through promises not being kept or by being treated badly. Disappointment is common. Also a place of double standards.
Pros
Schedule flexibility, some of the supervisors are helpful.
Cons
Being lied to. Rules are more important. Broken promises. No transparency.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. CSD takes these issues very seriously and we want to improve this type of behavior. As you may know, Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss this further, please reach out to talent@csd.org and we can discuss your concerns in detail.
The job itself is the easiest thing in the entire world. However the admin and management team will make you pull your hair out. They literally walk around with a clipboard looking for problems. They get on you for every little thing you do. They are all unorganized, for example if you ask 1 supervisor some she might say it's correct and the other might say it's not. They are not on the same page and it's annoying. THEY ALSO HAVE BED BUGS!! THEY TALKED TO AN EXTERMINATOR BUT NEVER HIRED ONE. THE BUGS ARE IN THE CUBICLE WALLS!!!!
Pros
Easy Job
Cons
Bed bugs, and terrible management.
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Management - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that the messaging provided is consistent.2) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team walks the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.3) CSD invests heavily in the maintenance of our Centers. Most of our Centers have been operating for over 15 years, so in addition to daily cleaning, we also provide Center upgrades when necessary. In any instances where bugs are reported, we immediately contact an extermination company. CSD does not announce to employees when extermination services are being provided so the assertion that CSD “never hired one” just because this reviewer never saw one is untrue. We are also always open to suggestions to get ahead of any issues before they become real problems.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
I was hired through a Temp Agency and told I would have 3 weeks of training before I started. I found out on my first day that if I did not pass a test they would not keep me. I wish the Temp Agency would of mentioned this to me, as I would of passed on this job. The training was unrealistic, too fast paced, no power point, not enough computer practice and then the test, the first week. Unrealistic goals in training. I left after the first week.
Pros
The friends I met while in training
Cons
The training, pay
20 August 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. CSD is always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of your feedback. We will reach out to the agencies to ensure that the proper information is being shared with potential staffing employees.
I have worked with the company for the past 6 months. The company when I first started felt welcoming and worked with me and supported me. Now the company has grown exponentially and does not care about its employees. It is next to impossible to get off work even when it comes to my kids. They will "let " you off but you get pointed. The sad thing is that the supervisors have so much to do and they dont pay them enough for what is forced upon them. If given the opportunity to advance to administration I would never by any means accept it much less apply. 6 months ago they looked happy, but now they are always just stressed and defeated. Dont work here.
Pros
good pay
Cons
poor management, dont work with schedules
11 September 2018
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are always striving to improve our processes and have taken note of the items you listed that need to be reviewed. At CSD we believe it is important to have the right people in the right roles at all levels who are committed to our core values. It also means we remain responsive to constant changes in the industry while being strategic about our growth and mission. Sometimes this can result in unexpected organizational changes, however, we continue to provide ongoing opportunities for employees to grow, learn and succeed.
I worked for CSD Ohio Relay from May until September 2017. I enjoyed my job even though the customers were rude at times and can cuss you out. Sometimes the conversations are questionable. But you cannot help that. The side by sides will stress you out. They can be done right beside you or electronically so you won't know when it's being done. Two times a month you are surveyed. LOTS of misdials, people arguing that they dialed the right number but didn't. My coworkers were friendly, I can say I made some honest to good friends there. The managers were kind and helpful. But don't call out unless you can do so 12 hours ahead of time. Be back from breaks and lunches on time or be pointed. They add up fast and eight points is terminated. All in all taking and placing calls weren't so bad once you learned the macros. Keep the typing speed and grammar good. Follow a flow of conversation and be transparent.
Pros
Reading or coloring down time, flexible work schedules, incentive overtime, plenty of overtime to grab
Cons
Rude customers, stressful fast pace calls, unrealistic call off time