Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews in Syracuse, NY

Syracuse, NY32 reviews
It's a fine place to work as long as you're willing to sit for a long time and listen to fairly boring conversations. Not a bad job, but long-term I would consider something else.
Work-life balanceWork-life balance at Communication Service for the Deaf is good enough. They work with your schedule and help you out sincerely. Great workplace to be at.
Once you get through training and get some experience, this is a fairly easy job. It does require patience at times and customer service skills are important. You will have down time between calls and you can read, do crosswords, etc. It is very rewarding to know that you are helping deaf, hearing impaired or speech impaired individuals in making phone calls - what is a simple task/ability that the rest of us take for granted.
Not a bad place to work. It’s mindless and easy, co workers are nice, plus there’s a lot of down time to do puzzles, read or whatever. Supervisors are great and help as much as they can. Pretty decent job overall.
Super low pay BUT super cool coworkers and management, flexible scheduling full-time or part-time, awesome support & training, job satisfaction. Love it!
This is a relay service where you are a communication source for the hearing impaired. You relay calls between deaf/hearing or deaf/deaf. Great job for a beginner.
The work that is done through CSD is fulfilling, and it's great to know you are helping people that really need it and providing a way for clients to stay in contact with their loved ones, as well as assisting with their professional needs. The most difficult part of the job was the office politics, including ineffectual management and the lack of appropriate compensation to do multiple aspects of the job above your pay grade.
Pros
Ability to assist people in need.
Cons
Lack of applicable compensation for additional responsibilities.
Relaxed environment management is good opportunity for advancement not much though you can get to a lead position and then it’s not much after unless a supervisor quits or gets fired not a bad place to be though overall could use more hours definitely if overtime was available would be great
The only good this about this place was the hours. Everything else was awful. Management were just same level employees who got a title upgrade. Electronics policy was an absolute crock. Saw people get fired when the person next to them was on their phone constantly (but because they were friends with managers, they didn’t get fired). They treat you like a number and not a human being. Avoid working here! Or... go through the super easy training and leave. Waste their time!
I enjoyed the days I spent there: 18 years. I had good friends there and learned a lot about people skills. I was quiet at first. The people were kind to me. It is constant typing which I enjoyed. We got breaks every two hours. There were a lot of meal celebrations on some holidays. Good pay for working certain holidays.
It's the most mind-numbing job, but it's also the easiest thing ever. You literally just repeat old people conversations 90% of the time, and correct the mistakes the computer makes. ***If you have a bad work ethic or are lazy, THIS IS THE PLACE FOR YOU.***
This job isn’t the worst I have had. It is a very unorganized company. Supervisors in the beginning of your shift will tell you one thing and the supervisors at the end of your shift will tell you another. Most people don’t clean up after themselves, there is alcohol to wipe down your computers so that’s good. As soon as you log off your computer that’s when your break starts and if you’re not back in exactly the amount of time your break is you will get talked to( if it happens again written up) . You get tested every day, and another test once a month that depends on if you keep the job or not . Overall not bad but very stressful.
Pros
Easy
Cons
Have to work every weekend, parking lot is far from building, management
I thought that this would be a great and meaningful job but it turns out, it's just boring repetitive work. You really don't get much of a break and there's this time card that you have to have with you all the time. When you punch in, punch out, you have to write in the times and as well as when your going to the bathroom. It was annoying because the time that you would work wouldn't be added because of the time card. You would even get reduced time on your lunch because you had to punch out, log off the computer, and write on the time card, and even then you would have about 20 minutes to eat and not the full 30. Everyone watches you like a hawk and the computers and desks are always broken. It's dirty and always cold. Would not recommend this place!!
Cons
I can't find a real reason to complain about this job except to possibly say that it's too easy. There are times when it can get boring, but overall it's a good job. They are not difficult, there is no dress code, and no matter where you come from or what you look like you are welcome to work there.
Pros
Great work environment, Good Insurance
Cons
Can be boring, don't really have any team work, kind of lonely...
If you can type over 70 wpm then you are golden. You get your own locker, can sit at any vestibule, and some of the time crochet at your desk or do a word puzzle or even color while waiting for calls.
What you would expect is a typical office job that follows the books exact. dont go if you expect something different and new and exciting. i would have to say the hardest part of the job to deal with is the scheduling and hours. a lot of things are changing with management however and new rules and so on so it might be completely different by the end of the year
They have a high turn over rate if you are perfect on monitors. Always having team leads walk around trying to catch people on their phones or reading. Very hard to get raises and nearly impossible to get the fond points unless you skip breaks. Good for a temporary job until you find something with better pay.
Pros
Paid time off, good hours, relaxed
Cons
Difficult calls & getting penalized for it, treated like kids
Official response from Communication Service for the Deaf
8 October 2018
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. You’ve shared concerns in a few different areas, which we’d like to address individually:1) Quality surveys - One of the management team’s responsibilities is to ensure that the needs of our customers are being met. As part of that responsibility, the management team including Team Leads walk the floor to observe quality standards. This is a function of every contact center - whether that’s CSD or elsewhere.2) Wage Increases - Employees are eligible for salary increases twice a year upon completion of their 90-days of employment with CSD and meeting the certain performance criteria such as work performance, attendance, and quality surveys. 3) Employee Recognition - CSD partners with an employee recognition platform, Fond, for Center Leadership to recognize good performance unique to our Contact Center operations including attendance, efficiency, and quality survey results. Fond Rewards are awarded for doing a job well-done and can be used to redeem things that are memorable, meaningful, and significant to our employees. 4) Treated like Kids - CSD believes it is important to have the right people in the right roles who are committed to our core values. Administrators are promoted from Agent positions and we provide regular training to members of our management team. We will continue to train our management team to ensure that all employees are treated with respect and as adults.Indeed reviews are anonymous but if you would like to discuss any of your concerns in detail, please reach out to talent@csd.org.
Bathroom breaks can literally only be 7 minutes.Very easy to get a write up. The stations where you work at are always filthy dirty every single day. 9/10 people always quit within the second week because it’s so boring. They have this point system where you accumulate points (being late,not online for your entire shift, missing a shift) and if you hit 8 points your automatically fired. Monthly times where you have to be online 98% of the day, for every single month which is the entire shift literally! If you score under you get a write up. This job is NOT WORTH IT.
Pros
Celebrate holidays
Cons
Watched 24, 7/Treat you like little kids, No freedom
Working at this place was a very dark time. Everything there is broken. Depressing phone calls. Bed bugs. Fleas. Eww. Do not work here unless desperate!
Pros
PTO every two weeks
Cons
environment
answering calls all day and re-voicing what you hear in your mic accurate. So that the person who is deaf or hard of hearing gets the correct caption on the CapTel phone. The hardest part of the job is being patient when you have calls that last for hours on end. The most enjoyable part of the job is that they are very flexible with hours and scheduling
Pros
frequent breaks, located right by downtown
Cons
none really
I would not recommend anyone ti work there unlesss they arw faast paced I havent worked in over 30 years and passed but was dismissed cause I wasnt fast enoigj
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
Hars to get hirwd