Communication Service for the Deaf
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Communication Service for the Deaf Employee Reviews for Communications Assistant

Communications Assistant26 reviews
This work environment was unique in that maybe 4 employees sit at work stations waiting for a call. Well you are waiting for a call you cannot use the Internet or a cellphone. Only read. You may go an entire shift with no call/work. This explains the very low hourly pay.
Pros
Lots of free time, good if you're a student with homework.
Cons
Nothing to do all shift, no work. Low pay, strange work environment. No access to internet or phones all day.
The company does not care about, nor value their employees in the slightest. Astonishingly high turnover rate due to downright awful management and irrational policies. Just one example of an absurd policy off the top of my head is that you gain points by missing a shift. You hit 10 points, and you are gone with no reasoning. That makes some sense, yes. However, even if you let them know of your absence weeks or months in advance, they will give you points, which are very difficult to get rid of. Car breaks down and you have no ride to work for the day? Doesn’t matter, you’re still getting points. Sick with the flu? More points for you. Even if the center manager values you, if you unknowingly break a company policy, they cannot do anything to keep you as the higher ups above the center manager do not care about you. The only good thing I can say about working here is that it is a great work environment filled with many nice and quite friendly coworkers and supervisors. Unfortunately, senseless management from the higher ups will absolutely ruin the experience and ultimately the potential CSD could have. I highly recommend avoiding this place at all costs.
Once you get through training and get some experience, this is a fairly easy job. It does require patience at times and customer service skills are important. You will have down time between calls and you can read, do crosswords, etc. It is very rewarding to know that you are helping deaf, hearing impaired or speech impaired individuals in making phone calls - what is a simple task/ability that the rest of us take for granted.
Not a bad place to work. It’s mindless and easy, co workers are nice, plus there’s a lot of down time to do puzzles, read or whatever. Supervisors are great and help as much as they can. Pretty decent job overall.
Super low pay BUT super cool coworkers and management, flexible scheduling full-time or part-time, awesome support & training, job satisfaction. Love it!
Very relaxed about appearance, including tattoos, piercings, and hair color, which is nice, but that’s about it.
Super high turnover rate, constantly training new people and still not having enough on the floor.

Ridiculously harsh tardy policy (treating being 4 minutes late the same as being 30 minutes late). Lure you in with the belief that schedule will be flexible then give you terrible hours and make it impossible to change. Told things in training to have someone turn around and tell me that’s wrong. Treated poorly if you have “points” and make it hard to get them off your record. Punished for being sick and too poor to go to the doctor.

It’s an easy job, but it’s not the envitonment they try to make it out to be.
Management and supervisor are not on the same page. I was fired for listening to my supervisor and told “you should’ve asked me”, racist employees and management, lie about flexibility , HR sucks and will just repeat what management said and not listen to your complaints. Then they’ll say we wish you luck and stop responding. Lastly, they don’t fully even train you but expect you to know everything. They’re favorites and if you can work anywhere else DO
Management is desperate to keep employees yet doesn't respect the veterans it has. Work policies are poorly communicated throughout the center and you can be graded badly on reviews for things you didn't even know about.
Very rarely there is call content that can be very triggering for victims of trauma or people with high sensitivities, but when you bring this up all you're ever told is "you were told of this in training!" and little to no accommodations are made for you.

Customers will verbally abuse you if they aren't happy with things out of your control and management will do nothing about it.

They promote people will SIGNIFICANTLY less experience (2-3 months of working at a job that requires at least a year to really feel comfortable in) into supervisory jobs over people who have worked there for years and years but are just a LITTLE too outspoken for their tastes.

If you need decent money and very specific, reliable hours, then yeah go for it. But don't go for long term, or you'll need a psych, which their insurance probably won't pay for.
Pros
Good hours, easy job.
Cons
Mentally taxing, bad management.
typical day of work is sitting at chair all day and angry customers and poor management , the hardest part is sitting in same spot all day long with minimal breaks
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Communication Service for the Deaf?
I can't find a real reason to complain about this job except to possibly say that it's too easy. There are times when it can get boring, but overall it's a good job. They are not difficult, there is no dress code, and no matter where you come from or what you look like you are welcome to work there.
Pros
Great work environment, Good Insurance
Cons
Can be boring, don't really have any team work, kind of lonely...
I loved the place, everything and everyone was simply perfect to work with. I usually kept to myself so, I didn't get to talk to many people. While I loved the job. I had family issues going on and was one of the reasons I had to leave. This job was my bubble of freedom!
Pros
Early leave
Cons
Schedules are some-what flexible seniority heavily applies. Great job to improve typing and communication skills. Great community of associates. Most enjoyable part of the job is reading, drawing, etc. between phone calls. Some deaf callers can be very verbally abusive towards you. Little chance for pay increase or advancement unless employed for several years. Coffee machine in break room never worked. Required 15 minute break every 2 hours helps pass the day quickly. Overnight and holiday shifts are not enjoyable but inevitable if you're new at the company. The point / disciplinary system in place for CSD employees is very juvenile.
Pros
15 minute breaks every two hours
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunities. Disciplinary system needs improvement.
In the beginning, I really enjoyed working for this company and what it stood for. After a few years, I got promoted and realized this company is not what I thought it was. The management is so poorly run where it makes the work environment pretty unbearable. The "quality" supervisor is an absolute pervert. I felt so violated being in his presence and any new hire that was female would feel the same way. It came to a point where I did not enjoy going to work and ended up leaving. I will say if you are looking for something part-time, this job would be well suited especially if you are a student. You are allowed to read and do homework in between calls and if you work later on in the evening call traffic slows down significantly so you don't have to deal with much plus management is gone in the later evening so you don't have to deal with any of them unless you get surveyed. The management and how they run things are what makes the job not worth the time in my opinion. If you are looking for something for job advancement this would not be a good job for you since they only care about body count.
Pros
Can leave a little earlier if call traffic dies down
Cons
quality supervisor is a perv
By far, this was the most rewarding place I have worked. By working here, I was able to hone and develop skills I need for further advance in the workforce.

Of course, there are some callers that don't respect your, and there are some businesses that hear "relay call" and don't understand that a deaf individual is trying to reach them. It is important to remain calm while working at Relay.

Typically, try to arrive a few minutes prior to the start of your shift so the computers can boot up and start working. You'll get to choose a cubical, read quietly, talk quietly, or do homework. I highly recommend this job for those that want to work through school.

MN Relay is a 24/7 hour operation, so there are plenty of options for schedules. The downside to this, however, is that MN Relay is on a sonority-first basis. The people that have been there the longest get to pick what schedule they want. The new hires have to take what is given to them. Swapping shifts is easy, though.
Pros
relaxed environment, supportive staff
Cons
low pay, poor advancement opportunities
I would not recommend anyone ti work there unlesss they arw faast paced
I havent worked in over 30 years and passed but was dismissed cause I wasnt fast enoigj
Pros
Good paying job
Cons
Hars to get hirwd
I worked for CSD Ohio Relay from May until September 2017. I enjoyed my job even though the customers were rude at times and can cuss you out.

Sometimes the conversations are questionable. But you cannot help that.

The side by sides will stress you out. They can be done right beside you or electronically so you won't know when it's being done. Two times a month you are surveyed.

LOTS of misdials, people arguing that they dialed the right number but didn't.

My coworkers were friendly, I can say I made some honest to good friends there. The managers were kind and helpful. But don't call out unless you can do so 12 hours ahead of time. Be back from breaks and lunches on time or be pointed. They add up fast and eight points is terminated.

All in all taking and placing calls weren't so bad once you learned the macros. Keep the typing speed and grammar good. Follow a flow of conversation and be transparent.
Pros
Reading or coloring down time, flexible work schedules, incentive overtime, plenty of overtime to grab
Cons
Rude customers, stressful fast pace calls, unrealistic call off time
value timeliness, unlimited paid time off. learned to relay calls. customer service provided to people who are deaf or hard of hearing. too many mis-dialed numbers
This job is very simple once you get the hang of the macros. It's super flexible with when you want to work, but other than that there's not much keeping people here. The pay is low and if you are going to be on the phone you may as well just take a job that pays $5 more at another call center in the area.
Pros
Co workers, easy, can read/etc. on downtime
Cons
Management, no electronics allowed (even calculators), low pay
I only worked here a short time but they will only accommodate you in training and on the floor. If you are visually impaired you'll be expected to pass a test as if you are totally blind. You WILL NOT be accommodated for testing AT ALL. It is stressful so you need to be mentally prepared to be surveyed and tested all the time for the FCC.
Pros
kind coworkers, understanding management
Cons
stressful, mentally draining, uncertain hours, lack of accommodations, for the disabled unable to tell the difference between light disability and severe
The people at work are nice (your coworkers and management), but the callers rarely are. They take you for granted, quite often swear at you, and you have to relay everything exactly as said and typed (which is easier said than done). I love helping people and doing basic customer service, but you really don't seem to feel like you can do that here. If you're going to work for CSD, apply as a Captioning Assistant. You can't transfer until both departments are at capacity, and with such a high turnover rate, they never are.

If you like to be robotic and just do the same thing over and over and over again, and things don't get to you? Take this job. But if you like to feel like you're helping people, and like you're actually a person, and like you're doing something worthwhile (and if callers -- more often than not, honestly -- getting incredibly annoyed and angry at you can get to you)? Don't take this job. Please.
I'm able to work full time and go to school full time due to the ease at which CSD does their schedules. They're open 24 hours, and you can work anywhere between 16 and 40 hours a week. There are also overtime hours often available.