Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Loved working here good environment good people.
Checkout Operator/online shop assistant. (Former Employee) –  Putaruru, Waikato11 November 2019
I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.
Good company
Retail Assistance (Current Employee) –  Mount Roskill, Auckland4 November 2019
Friendly nature and I have to improve my skills .it s a busiest store but good culture and environment .people very friendly and help full person.they giving me good suggestion and good knowledge. That's useful for my future
Okay workplace, not great, not terrible
Online Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland30 October 2019
From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.
Supportive and Productive experience
Staff (Former Employee) –  Bethlehem, Bay of Plenty28 October 2019
The time spent working with Countdown was a really cool experience, getting the hang of the work wasn't hard at all, and the staff were very supportive and helpful with everything.
Can be very "high school"
Customer Service assistant (Former Employee) –  Redwoodtown, Marlborough25 October 2019
In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.
fun workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Upper Hutt, Wellington21 October 2019
since I have been working at countdown I have learned a lot about customer service and have managed to create and have conversations with strangers easier than before. The hardest part of the job is when all the customers come into shop and there is not enough people on checkout but we manage to get through it professionally. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and be able to make peoples day by talking to them and seeing how they are.
productive and fun workplace
Long Life Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tikipunga, Northland16 September 2019
It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked
Great company to work for!
Meat Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashburton, Canterbury17 August 2019
Great place to work if you're wanting to climb the ladder. Great leadership and training programs.

Fair wage, good team environment.

Team discount of 5% plus bonus places where we can use our team discount such as VTNZ, gyms, discounts on life insurance etc.
Pros
Fair wage, staff discounts
Good working environment
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Paeroa, Waikato3 August 2019
The staff are nice and friendly. Multi cultured environment. On a typical day at work i start at 9am and get on with my tasks, greet and interact with customers through the day. I have learned a lot more about retail business, the products they sell and some of the laws that applies to the company and the consumers. I enjoy interacting with people the most and the hardest part of the job is dealing with customers goes mental when they are shopping.
Pros
Free hot drinks and breakfast (cereals), smoko area is tidy
They lack in communication. Always short staffed.
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty31 July 2019
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
Terrible, unskilled Senior Management!
Property (Former Employee) –  Support Office25 July 2019
Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line!
I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Terrible senior management
Work
Duty Manager/Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland21 June 2019
You have to push yourself forward but if you have Department Managers that only believe in themselves you wont get anywhere. It depends on each Store, if your lucky to get a Store Manager who encourages his/her team to excel then your in a good Store. If your in a Store that the Manager that has already chosen his specific team then your stuffed UNLESS you fight it and go over his head
Wsge wise, very good but make sure you get paid for your value and check every week
There will be drama at all stores, you have to choose to ignore it or be among it
Pros
Good wage. Can meet long life friends. In the right store awesome encouragement
Cons
Drama, Self absorbed Dept Managers, gossip, hours can be weird
Never again
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Levin, Manawatu-Wanganui27 May 2019
I was casual and hardly given any shifts, people that started working there after me were offered permanent shifts.
Certain people were allowed on certain (easy tills).
Didn't feel welcomed at all.
Would never go back there or the company ever again.
Pros
Nothing I can think of
Cons
Too many
work place always offers challenge
Retail Customer Service/Office (Former Employee) –  Helensville New Zealand29 April 2019
Days at work started in the cash office doing shop set up & pay roll and would continue on the shop floor doing customer service, checkouts & lotto Having worked across all areas in the shop from office, floor work, supervising checkouts and working as a Duty Manager I always had diversity in my work day
Pros
always something new to learn
Productive and fun workplace
Online Assistant (Former Employee) –  Browns Bay, Auckland11 April 2019
My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.
Pros
Challenging job have to hit targets
Cons
Productive and good team work
Bakery Assistant & packer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury11 April 2019
I am happy working for countdown bakery department. Countdown progressive company gave a good opportunities for working bakery department
and learning how to make bread and cakes, muffins and also good customer services as well. Always nice and tidy up for bakery department and shop too. Log on and off on time. Be quickly and also be polite for the stuff and the customers everytime. Listen very carefully when people say to me.
I would like to move on Auckland next. Keep working bakery department because I will move to Auckland with my family next month.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Flexible hours
General
Online Shopping assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin South, New Zealand21 March 2019
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Was ok But Managers Screwed Up
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Wanganui8 March 2019
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
Very nice when workplace with positive people.
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki21 January 2019
I most enjoyed my co workers as they were very helpful and I can confidently say at the end of the day I’m left feelings more positive than I did coming in.
Was an interesting experience
SENIOR DELICATESSAN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Papakura, Auckland5 January 2019
A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
didnt agree with my migraines at the time

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.