Countdown NZ Supermarkets

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

New Zealand383 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

good first job

Pretty good place to work, and nice to have a discount but 5% isn’t much. just paid minimum wage, but job is mostly quite relaxed but you are expected to work pretty fast. sometimes there is free food like cookies in the staff room but not often.

Average but good place for first time job

Good lace for a first part time job in high school. Management can be quite lazy and rude and have no problem making you work as many shifts as possible but sit in their office doing nothing. Discount is alright but nothing much.

fun and great place

great place with great peopleAs a shy person who had to come out of my shell and serve people, I initially loved it because it was a wonderful place for me to learn new skills and boost my confidence. I was with CD for three years, however I recently left due to terrible management.er

Good place to start work/learn skills and knowledge

I loved it in the beginning it was a fun environment for me learning new skills and bringing out my confidence as I was a shy person so having to come out of my shell and serve customers was awesome. I have been with CD for 3 years but have recently gave it up because of poor management.

Pros

Staff discount

good culture

The deli is always busy.making sure to clean up everything as it causes sickness to the workplace environment.hardest past of the job is to make sure that u use the right techique to pull out hot chicken from oven as it can cause danger, and hazard. I really enjoy the people i wok with, and the customers

fun workplace

lovely staff and fun workplace there are many jobs that you can find the right one that fits with you, theyre great to staff and they really look after their staff, plenty of opportunities to develop your career

Fun place

Countdown is a fun place to work at. The staff there are really help full and the management is really good. It is quite relaxing but can be stressful when busy.

Pros

Nice staff, good management

Meh

A typical day of work means coming in and being assigned a section. I learned how to work hard under pressure, sure, but it felt like management didn't care about you as long as the quotas were being made for the night. Workplace culture was terrible, with one manager always openly playing favourites. The hardest part of the job was the back-to-back hours...it meant a lack of sleep and eventually a lack of a social life trying to find sleep whenever possible (especially for parents). The most enjoyable part of the job was the friendships made while working on the floor, as the people there who made up the team were some of the most down-to-earth, humble, amazing people I've worked with to date. It's easy money, but wouldn't recommend in the long run.

fun workplace

really good place to work, loved the atmosphere and everyone I met. definitely recommend to others to work here, cery enjoyable place to work. good management as well

Eh

Working here was alright but, I did have trouble with upper management once requesting to lower my hours as I had a full-time contract. This is because I was going to start attending school but the manager was hard to work with in terms of changing hours. It took him about a few weeks to let me re-write my contract which did not help.

Pros

Long breaks, Helpful staff

Cons

Not recommended for students looking for long hours

Stressful and Uninteresting

Management doesn't care about the workload on staff. They just blindly follow company's orders and requirements. Total head office control on shop work. No care about Health and Safety just talk. Staff intimidation and threats frequent.

Pros

Free snacks in staffroom

Cons

Stress, long hours, intimidation

It is what you make of it

Overall a great company to work for. Very proactive with safety and career opportunities are there for the taking. Decent wages, workplace culture depends on management

Pros

Fair wages and opportunities for development

Cons

Hours are not family friendly

Great people, but understaffed

Working in the online department is a very fast paced environment, as it is always understaffed on weekends leading to some team members not being able to take all their breaks. Staff are all very friendly and helpful

Stable Job

Easy work, the people I worked with were awesome. I worked Nightfill stacking shelves once the store closed so didn't really have anything to do with customers

Pros

discount on shopping

Cons

at times understaffed

Good workplace but very hard work

Pros: great people to work with, decent payCons: Very long hours ( I work about 10 hours each shift ), VERY UNDERSTAFFED, makes it very difficult to work in produce as 1 person at my store works each shift so it’s a huge amount of heavy lifting for the entire shift and lots of multitasking and back and fourths and getting things done, 10 hours seems like a lot of time but it’s not enough to get my workload done all by myself. I come home still stressed about my day at work. They refuse to hire new people and I don’t understand why, They can definitely afford it.

loved it

Was great. Challenging but great working environment. had lots of fun and made lots of friends. management was helpful and really looked out for me heh

Productive and keeps you busy.

A job I never wanted to leave. If you have a strong mindset to do the work and go home, then you’re already winning. Bonus: the people you work with (depending where you’re situated) was the best thing. The support you get is unreal, you’ll feel like you never want to leave. Know your co-workers, get a long and communication goes a long way in this company. Maybe a bit political - but opinions can vary at some point. It’s just the best.

Pros

- Co-workers got your back, Paid well, No stress, Relaxing, Building experiences, Learn different things or different roles

Overworked and underpaid

Countdown may pay well for a supermarket job but that's no excuse for all the times I've cried because of this place. Not only because of the customers but because of the overwhelming stress and pressure. After working across multiple stores it's always the same. Poor management, understaffed and the staff that are there are poorly trained. Most managers prefer to hide in the office or go home early instead of being in their department and supporting their team.

Cons

Stressful and negative work environment

Managers are quick to bite your head off when you make a mistake and most of our staff are feeling like they would rather leave than bring up how we are being treated to higher management. They run it like the army when most of our staff are teenagers wanting to make some money who are not going to work here long term.

Average Experience

Worked for Countdown NZ for almost 2 years in the checkouts department and my experience was kind of average. I was always allocated to stay on checkouts and rarely ever got a chance to do other duties and if I did closing shifts I had to stay open on checkout while my supervisors stayed at self checkouts and refused to open another lane to ease the congestion.Pros - It's good if you're a student or someone who wants to work flexible hours- Having the ability to transition into a supervisors role and get your ASL- Being able to work in other department if you wanted to, for example: deli, seafood or chilled foods.- Staff discount- Free parkingCons- Terrible management- SupervisorsAlways give breaks early to try and get it over with, they are rude especially if you make mistakes - instead of correcting the situation they make you feel like rubbish and they hardly ever rotate staff to ensure they're doing other duties. Mostly being kept at checkouts scanning.- Poor pay, I was getting below minimum wage.

Pros

Staff discount, flexible hours, ability to pick up available shifts

Cons

Terrible management, unsupportive supervisors, terrible pay.

Productive and good place

I joined this company in November 2021. And I found it is a good place for starting a job in New Zealand. Currently, I am a student and doing part-time there. So it is a pretty good experience working there. The colleagues are supportive and helpful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?