Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Good punch of people and environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Auckland12 June 2018
It was really good for me since it was my first job and they provide us good training and work experience. People are so friendly and helpful when I struggle or lost.
Pros
Get discount when you do your shopping
Cons
40 hours / week
management
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/DELI/SEAFOOD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato4 June 2018
issues with fairness and how situations are handled by senior staff.
being spoken down to by senior staff as if our job doesnt matter, being asked to do jobs on top of usual work and expected to complete them but wont be paid if we work past contracted hours.
Workplace
Fresh Foods Assistant (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland4 June 2018
My duty includes to fill the load in my own department and keep the department tidy at all times. Do the face up of the products at all times. Stag the products nicely in the relevant cages.
Pros
free food for team
Cons
short shifts per day
Productive and Interactive
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelston, Auckland18 May 2018
From my previous experience in Countdown I felt it added growth to my personal and professional development. As a checkout operator we are constantly engaging and interacting with customers, which aids in enhancing ones leadership qualities, confidence, communication skills, ability to build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks to name a few. My time and experience has served as a solid foundation for progression into more advanced roles. The hardest part is dealing with rude customers, however I remain calm and still show love and kindness because I strive to put the needs of others before myself in my work and outside of work. The most enjoyable part is being apart of a positive team culture where you can be yourself, feel valued and establish and maintain relationships with customers and colleagues. It would be a great honor to be a part of a team like countdowns again.
Pros
Relationships and Free food
Cons
Standing for long shifts
Fun and quirky job
Packager (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury18 May 2018
For an all day/overnight job, it was fun and great time for communicating. Considering it happens annually, it’s a quick and subtle job. Best done at home around family members.
Pros
Free food when the job is done
Cons
No cons, just laughs
productive and a fun place to work
Night Fill Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Whakatane, Bay of Plenty7 May 2018
I really enjoy my job and I believe I am very good at it. I run a tight team and I always strive to complete any tasks given. I believe that I have great team skills and leadership skills.
Comfortable Place to Work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 May 2018
Countdown Supermarkets was a comfortable place to work with understanding and helpful management. I learned how to handle cash and engage positively with customers.
Pros
Flexible work hours, understanding of mental health
always busy, and taking care of our customers
Deli assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury28 April 2018
The deli is always busy.
making sure to clean up everything as it causes sickness to the workplace environment.
hardest past of the job is to make sure that u use the right techique to pull out hot chicken from oven as it can cause danger, and hazard. I really enjoy the people i wok with, and the customers
Pros
always have somthing to do
Cons
certain areas of the job can be very hygenic
Good Place to shop
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty22 April 2018
Countdown Greerton has a warm and welcoming vibe. I shop there because the staff is friendly and it's easy to find my way around the store. I enjoy shopping here because it is convenient for where i live
Countdown The Valley
Online Shopping Manager (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki22 April 2018
Work was busy. Plenty of customers to shop for in Online Department. I learnt a lot by how to manage a department of 16-20 people. Management is there but most of them didn't really help as they didn't really know about the department. I knew more.
I enjoyed the people at the store. Hardest part of the job was trying to find workers to help with the busy work load and management not helping
Pros
Discount in store
Cons
Long hours never did my contracted we were too busy

Want to know more about Countdown NZ Supermarkets?

Ask a question
the people working with are awesome
online shopper (Current Employee) –  Timaru, Canterbury15 April 2018
5 am start 5 days a week going round picking customers orders for delivery or pick up. i have my own shift on sundays. making sure orders are correct and done on time
Pros
christmas club
Cons
far too long hours
Fast paced and a lot to do.
Checkout Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago13 April 2018
Countdown has a lot of benefits, good pay, Staff Discount card (very handy). Can easily make friends and can pick up heaps of extra shifts as needed. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with angry customers.
Pros
Free food in staff room, staff discount cards, heaps of extra shifts
Free lunch
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland4 April 2018
I’m good working and hard working and friendly and face do face always on time and I got more experience and and I can work any department and make sure customers happy
Pros
Share lunch
Cons
Long hour
Good team work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato29 March 2018
Good place to work as a team member. And also very friendly atmosphere really enjoying those who are passionate...good package for the starters..Really good to get study more about industry.
Pros
Good friendly atmosphere to work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Motueka, Tasman28 March 2018
Countdown is a great place to work, the staff are fantastic and the management understanding. The job was very enjoyable for me.

The job is not hard at all, the most difficult thing you will experience is unsavoury customers.

It is a great job for a student.
Pros
Great Co-Workers
Very stressful and not enough staff!
Nightfill (Current Employee) –  Mosgiel, Otago19 March 2018
only having 3 people to do an entire stores worth of filling is imposible And then Still Get scalded for it not getting done management is pathetic at the best of times do not recommend at all
Pros
friendly teamates
Cons
garbage managment and not enough staff
good fun and learn lots
Liquor Manager (Former Employee) –  Browns Bay, Auckland18 March 2018
it's good fun and enjoyable work place and all manger are supportive as i was fresh in this department and still i run this department very smooth and achieved all sale and health and safety target
Fun place to work.
Checkout operator, Front Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pukekohe, Auckland17 March 2018
Countdown supermarket was a great place to work.
Obviously a lot of people interaction which I enjoy.
I worked in many areas of the supermarket but mainly customer service an checkouts.
Pros
Meeting people. Helping people
Cons
None that I can really think of
Too clicky for me
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  Putaruru, Waikato13 March 2018
I wouldn't recommend for any body to wok in a small town store franchise. Being new in the workplace is hard enough, let alone in a town where everybody knows everybody and is talking bad behind backs. I found that a lot of the time there was two to five different sets of rules for certain people and you feel almost shunned. I will say no more
Pros
good pay
Cons
inconsistant
Fun workplace
Price Integrity Manager (Current Employee) –  Three kings Auckland8 March 2018
Nice and good environmental to work in. Sometimes is quite stressful to work. But at the end when you get things done it isrelaxing and you feel happy about it.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.