Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

New Zealand306 reviews
fun place to work apart from the drams that was going on
the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.
productive
very on and off. in this job it is very productive and hard at times but it is a very good first job. it is also a great job to meet new people and make new mates.
n/a
Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed
You will come across of a lot of upset customers, so as a supervisor I will be their first person to contact. I had no problem with sorting out disputes because I believe I have the patience for it.
End of an era sadly.
Its has been with very mixed emotions that I have had to give up my job due to my move. Not something I wanted to do but had to be done. I had hoped to stay with the company but it doesn't look like that will happen.
I have enjoyed my time working with countdown for the past 33yrs. I have meet so many people across my time here and made alot of friends. The last 3yrs have been the best working as a Masterdata specialist.
Enjoyable part of job
The most enjoyable thing about working with Countdown is meeting new people from all backgrounds and making life-long friendships with employees from all departments within the supermarket.
Leilablackler
Countdown is a good and fair company to work for countdown have a good work environment nice staff members always give good instructions and always give you a fair go
Happy workplace which has table tennis table for recreation
Good bosses , good staff , happy environment , free breakfast provided , free tea and coffee get together at lunch ,milestone celebration with gift and lunch for staff
Hard workplace
Tiring and difficult working environment, hard labor. Generally, good people to work with but the overall workload is quite excessive compared to other places of work.
Loved !
Really loved working there, it was good that I had a lot of opportunities to work in other departments and didn’t stay at checkouts all the time. I mostly did work the 12:00 and after shifts and always on weekends
Potential to go further with a great attitude toward the job
Countdown is a fun place to work. If you have the right attitude toward your work mates and customers being top priority, you will do well and go further with whatever you are seeking in job satisfaction.
Pros
One card, staff card discount, part of a team.
Cons
Not enough space in the Gisborne store
Easy Going
An easy going place to work, simple job with clear expectations but unfortunately under staffed so big work load. Paid well but was pushed to do more hours than I wanted to do so we could get the job done
Typical day
Ā typical day was meet and greet customers keeping your area clean and putting groceries back on the shelf but I was offered to other jobs within the company when it was slow
Good if your desperate for a job, otherwise I wouldn't recommend.
Good staff to work with, friendly and helpful. Fairly unorganized company overall, stressful place to work if you like structure and routine. Hours can change from week to week.
Books and News paper
Working in Countdown Supermarket in Nelson impressed me to deal with customer first priorities focus, highly attention to Health and safety issue and value of culture. and then abide by company policies.
longlife assistant
was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time
Pros
managment treats over Christmas and New year
Productive and fun workplace
You really feel supported being a part of this team. The customers are usually friendly and you start to recognise the locals. Breaks were regular and there were always a large variety of lunch options to either buy in store, or walk up to the staff room and be treated to donuts, coffee and chips, etc.
Productive and fun work place
I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........
Overall Good
As a student, was a great part time job, that was accessible, and also both challenging and carefree.
Staff are friendly and do their best to make it an enjoyable environment.
Decent pay for stacking shelves
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair.

My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself.

As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Toxic and Unpleasant work environment
Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at.
Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.