Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

fast paced
Nightfill Crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato29 July 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job is facing and getting a full face up. the hardest part of the job is filling a isle on your own in under a hour with a big load.
Pros
getting a full face up
Cons
not enough hours
Department manager with lack of knowledge . Can't manage putting pressure on team making team stay after 6:30 even after they finish their shift
Long Life Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington8 July 2018
Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s.
Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism
Pros
Harassing managers, no respect
productive but dramatic workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty3 July 2018
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.
Pros
often free food upstairs
Cons
understaffed
Terrible Middle Management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dargaville, Northland2 July 2018
Terrible Middle Management.
Sweep customer complaints under the rug.
Monopoly attitude. Customers dont really matter because they "have to shop with us"
Pros
'Nothing
Cons
Casual contracts - made replaceable at any given moment.
Ups and downs, ups dont outweigh the downs so i have to leave
Checkout operator (Current Employee) –  Motueka, Tasman23 June 2018
Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.
Pros
Meet some truly amazing people.
Cons
Not enough hours and terrible management
Energizing, productive
Bakers Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland12 June 2018
Countdown was fun and gave me alot of experience within the woolworths range. Helped provide income on a weekly basis, the environment was productive and energizing to work in.
Good punch of people and environment
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Auckland12 June 2018
It was really good for me since it was my first job and they provide us good training and work experience. People are so friendly and helpful when I struggle or lost.
Pros
Get discount when you do your shopping
Cons
40 hours / week
management
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/DELI/SEAFOOD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato4 June 2018
issues with fairness and how situations are handled by senior staff.
being spoken down to by senior staff as if our job doesnt matter, being asked to do jobs on top of usual work and expected to complete them but wont be paid if we work past contracted hours.
Workplace
Fresh Foods Assistant (Part time) (Current Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland4 June 2018
My duty includes to fill the load in my own department and keep the department tidy at all times. Do the face up of the products at all times. Stag the products nicely in the relevant cages.
Pros
free food for team
Cons
short shifts per day
Productive and Interactive
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelston, Auckland18 May 2018
From my previous experience in Countdown I felt it added growth to my personal and professional development. As a checkout operator we are constantly engaging and interacting with customers, which aids in enhancing ones leadership qualities, confidence, communication skills, ability to build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks to name a few. My time and experience has served as a solid foundation for progression into more advanced roles. The hardest part is dealing with rude customers, however I remain calm and still show love and kindness because I strive to put the needs of others before myself in my work and outside of work. The most enjoyable part is being apart of a positive team culture where you can be yourself, feel valued and establish and maintain relationships with customers and colleagues. It would be a great honor to be a part of a team like countdowns again.
Pros
Relationships and Free food
Cons
Standing for long shifts
Fun and quirky job
Packager (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury18 May 2018
For an all day/overnight job, it was fun and great time for communicating. Considering it happens annually, it’s a quick and subtle job. Best done at home around family members.
Pros
Free food when the job is done
Cons
No cons, just laughs
productive and a fun place to work
Night Fill Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Whakatane, Bay of Plenty7 May 2018
I really enjoy my job and I believe I am very good at it. I run a tight team and I always strive to complete any tasks given. I believe that I have great team skills and leadership skills.
Comfortable Place to Work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 May 2018
Countdown Supermarkets was a comfortable place to work with understanding and helpful management. I learned how to handle cash and engage positively with customers.
Pros
Flexible work hours, understanding of mental health
always busy, and taking care of our customers
Deli assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch City, Canterbury28 April 2018
The deli is always busy.
making sure to clean up everything as it causes sickness to the workplace environment.
hardest past of the job is to make sure that u use the right techique to pull out hot chicken from oven as it can cause danger, and hazard. I really enjoy the people i wok with, and the customers
Pros
always have somthing to do
Cons
certain areas of the job can be very hygenic
Good Place to shop
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty22 April 2018
Countdown Greerton has a warm and welcoming vibe. I shop there because the staff is friendly and it's easy to find my way around the store. I enjoy shopping here because it is convenient for where i live
Countdown The Valley
Online Shopping Manager (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki22 April 2018
Work was busy. Plenty of customers to shop for in Online Department. I learnt a lot by how to manage a department of 16-20 people. Management is there but most of them didn't really help as they didn't really know about the department. I knew more.
I enjoyed the people at the store. Hardest part of the job was trying to find workers to help with the busy work load and management not helping
Pros
Discount in store
Cons
Long hours never did my contracted we were too busy
the people working with are awesome
online shopper (Current Employee) –  Timaru, Canterbury15 April 2018
5 am start 5 days a week going round picking customers orders for delivery or pick up. i have my own shift on sundays. making sure orders are correct and done on time
Pros
christmas club
Cons
far too long hours
Fast paced and a lot to do.
Checkout Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Dunedin, Otago13 April 2018
Countdown has a lot of benefits, good pay, Staff Discount card (very handy). Can easily make friends and can pick up heaps of extra shifts as needed. The hardest part of the job would be dealing with angry customers.
Pros
Free food in staff room, staff discount cards, heaps of extra shifts
Free lunch
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland4 April 2018
I’m good working and hard working and friendly and face do face always on time and I got more experience and and I can work any department and make sure customers happy
Pros
Share lunch
Cons
Long hour
Good team work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato29 March 2018
Good place to work as a team member. And also very friendly atmosphere really enjoying those who are passionate...good package for the starters..Really good to get study more about industry.
Pros
Good friendly atmosphere to work
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.