Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Productive and good team work
Bakery Assistant & packer (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury11 April 2019
I am happy working for countdown bakery department. Countdown progressive company gave a good opportunities for working bakery department
and learning how to make bread and cakes, muffins and also good customer services as well. Always nice and tidy up for bakery department and shop too. Log on and off on time. Be quickly and also be polite for the stuff and the customers everytime. Listen very carefully when people say to me.
I would like to move on Auckland next. Keep working bakery department because I will move to Auckland with my family next month.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Flexible hours
General
Online Shopping assistant (Former Employee) –  Dunedin South, New Zealand21 March 2019
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Was ok But Managers Screwed Up
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Wanganui8 March 2019
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
Very nice when workplace with positive people.
Deli Assistant (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki21 January 2019
I most enjoyed my co workers as they were very helpful and I can confidently say at the end of the day I’m left feelings more positive than I did coming in.
Was an interesting experience
SENIOR DELICATESSAN ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Papakura, Auckland5 January 2019
A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
didnt agree with my migraines at the time
All depends on managment
Baker (Former Employee) –  Auckland4 January 2019
It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics
good place to work
Produce Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland2 January 2019
Have no issues with Countdown, good and fun place to work , customers focus alot of training for Management staff , also individual training for your team. we try and go out and do alot for the community, fundraising, sausage sizzle . also social event for team to relax outside of work. Employee of the month awards and saftey hero of the month awards , also long service awards and lunch to staff
Pros
great team morale, customers focus
Cons
long hours, no staff
fun place to work
Night Fill - Team Member (Former Employee) –  Auckland, NZ9 December 2018
very busy environment to work in makes it fun for me when im busy k
love my job its fun to interact with customers it is tough at times by I managed.
Management was okay but could improve
Pros
shift suited my timetable with school
Cons
low pay rate
Great after school/weekend job for students
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Waikato19 November 2018
I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Too much gossip and catty staff
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Manukau City10 November 2018
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Enjoyable work place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland9 November 2018
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had.
Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.
Not good for too hardworking employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Papatoetoe, Auckland24 October 2018
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.
okay
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Lynfield, Auckland16 October 2018
the hardest job i had on a typical day was to keep customers happy and also the team happy and making sure your day ends good. the most important part is to keep yourself happy and to know you had a good or bad day at work.
Pros
breaks
Friendly working environment
Check-out Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashburton South8 October 2018
Friendly working environment
Great customer interaction
Did not use any of my skills and found it not to satisfy my need to work in a area where I could use my skills
Pros
Informal environment
Cons
no challanges
productive
Trolley return and Checkouts (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland4 October 2018
easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.
It's fun and the workers kindly serve the customers
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland2 October 2018
It is the best stores in New Zealand and I enjoy the service and everything about this store. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and I'll enjoy it too.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Great team and great environment
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/ CHECKOUT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland26 September 2018
I enjoyed working with customers and being around people who truly care for the needs of the customers was amazing. I learnt a lot such as the importance of store policies and the fundamental aspects of laws in New Zealand that has to do with cigarettes and alcohol. Maintaining a great working ethic was a norm and being able to be confident in my job taught me to be bold and meet targets. The thing i most enjoyed about my job was those I worked with at checkouts and how we were a family who truly cared for one another and just enjoyed working together.
Pros
Great team
Receptive Work
Night Fill (Former Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland19 September 2018
Good staff repetitive easy work and nice pay. Break times were fair and work was easy to get into just be fast as soon as you get into the job because the supervisor wants you to finish things as fast as you can so that by 6.30 the store will be ready for customers.
Pros
Nice Pay, Good working environment, Easy work
Cons
Boring and Repetetive
Enjoyable place to work.
Grocery Assistant/Store Person (Former Employee) –  Morrinsville, Waikato16 September 2018
When I first started I would just go into the store and start restocking shelves.
After time I was given a position as storeperson.
Check all Inward goods, unload trucks.
Load trolleys for workers to restock shelves.
There was some heavy lifting but I didn't mind.
Check temperatures in Chiller and Freezer rooms in storeroom.
Help stock shelves in store.
I learned how to use an RF scanner became computer illiterate, also gained my F Endorsed forklift licence.
The hardest part of the job was when I first started I had a problem with heights but overcame this in time.
The most enjoyable was interacting with customers.
Pros
Interacting with customers.
Cons
A small amount of heavy lifting.
nice environment, friendly and easy going staff, great job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Paeroa, Waikato25 August 2018
had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.