Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Great after school/weekend job for students
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Waikato19 November 2018
I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Too much gossip and catty staff
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Manukau City10 November 2018
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Enjoyable work place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland9 November 2018
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had.
Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.
Not good for too hardworking employees
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Papatoetoe, Auckland24 October 2018
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.
okay
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Lynfield, Auckland16 October 2018
the hardest job i had on a typical day was to keep customers happy and also the team happy and making sure your day ends good. the most important part is to keep yourself happy and to know you had a good or bad day at work.
Pros
breaks
Friendly working environment
Check-out Operator (Former Employee) –  Ashburton South8 October 2018
Friendly working environment
Great customer interaction
Did not use any of my skills and found it not to satisfy my need to work in a area where I could use my skills
Pros
Informal environment
Cons
no challanges
productive
Trolley return and Checkouts (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland4 October 2018
easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.
It's fun and the workers kindly serve the customers
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland2 October 2018
It is the best stores in New Zealand and I enjoy the service and everything about this store. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and I'll enjoy it too.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Great team and great environment
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/ CHECKOUT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland26 September 2018
I enjoyed working with customers and being around people who truly care for the needs of the customers was amazing. I learnt a lot such as the importance of store policies and the fundamental aspects of laws in New Zealand that has to do with cigarettes and alcohol. Maintaining a great working ethic was a norm and being able to be confident in my job taught me to be bold and meet targets. The thing i most enjoyed about my job was those I worked with at checkouts and how we were a family who truly cared for one another and just enjoyed working together.
Pros
Great team
Receptive Work
Night Fill (Former Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland19 September 2018
Good staff repetitive easy work and nice pay. Break times were fair and work was easy to get into just be fast as soon as you get into the job because the supervisor wants you to finish things as fast as you can so that by 6.30 the store will be ready for customers.
Pros
Nice Pay, Good working environment, Easy work
Cons
Boring and Repetetive
Enjoyable place to work.
Grocery Assistant/Store Person (Former Employee) –  Morrinsville, Waikato16 September 2018
When I first started I would just go into the store and start restocking shelves.
After time I was given a position as storeperson.
Check all Inward goods, unload trucks.
Load trolleys for workers to restock shelves.
There was some heavy lifting but I didn't mind.
Check temperatures in Chiller and Freezer rooms in storeroom.
Help stock shelves in store.
I learned how to use an RF scanner became computer illiterate, also gained my F Endorsed forklift licence.
The hardest part of the job was when I first started I had a problem with heights but overcame this in time.
The most enjoyable was interacting with customers.
Pros
Interacting with customers.
Cons
A small amount of heavy lifting.
nice environment, friendly and easy going staff, great job
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Paeroa, Waikato25 August 2018
had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.
Fast-Paced and fun work place
CHECKOUT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Wainuiomata, Wellington16 August 2018
The people were mostly fantastic to work with and the work itself was straight forward, fast-paced and mostly easy to complete.

I really liked that they offered the chance to take further courses to gain certificates and improve yourself. On top of this they also have other services to help their employees through life. I really feel they were fantastic in the way they looked after their employees.

Though they had wonderful opportunities I think some of the management could have been more supportive and on the ball as sometimes the lack of decisions or support from them affected the success of the job.
Pros
Staff discounts, free staff lunches on occasions, other services offered
Cons
Lack of staff
Productive and easy-going workplace
Checkout Position/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty14 August 2018
A day's work contained support from the team members throughout the whole store, especially during peak hours.
As a checkout operator, checkouts is a prioritised department during peak hours and every time we were overwhelmed with customers we were backed up by most of the store employees. The management team did what they can and ensure that we were working in the most efficient way while make sure we were fine to work. Overall Countdown provided experience that would be essential for future work.
Pros
Lovely team work
Cons
Shift times were unclear sometimes
fast paced
Nightfill Crew (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato29 July 2018
the most enjoyable part of the job is facing and getting a full face up. the hardest part of the job is filling a isle on your own in under a hour with a big load.
Pros
getting a full face up
Cons
not enough hours
Department manager with lack of knowledge . Can't manage putting pressure on team making team stay after 6:30 even after they finish their shift
Long Life Assistant (Current Employee) –  Lower Hutt City, Wellington8 July 2018
Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s.
Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism
Pros
Harassing managers, no respect
productive but dramatic workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty3 July 2018
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.
Pros
often free food upstairs
Cons
understaffed
Terrible Middle Management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Dargaville, Northland2 July 2018
Terrible Middle Management.
Sweep customer complaints under the rug.
Monopoly attitude. Customers dont really matter because they "have to shop with us"
Pros
'Nothing
Cons
Casual contracts - made replaceable at any given moment.
Ups and downs, ups dont outweigh the downs so i have to leave
Checkout operator (Current Employee) –  Motueka, Tasman23 June 2018
Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.
Pros
Meet some truly amazing people.
Cons
Not enough hours and terrible management
Energizing, productive
Bakers Assistant, (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland12 June 2018
Countdown was fun and gave me alot of experience within the woolworths range. Helped provide income on a weekly basis, the environment was productive and energizing to work in.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.