Countdown NZ Supermarkets logo
Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Busy good bonuses.

After working for a year at Countdown you pay will becom the living wage $21.15. After 8 months of working there my lay went up 40 cents. Always extra hours laying around and can also learn and take opportunities in different departments.

Pros

Pay rise after a year

Cons

Busy work load

Don’t work at Countdown if you want to be valued

Easy flowing job, Good Diverse range of people, can be stressful if you let it. Would not recommend working at countdown if you want to be valued. You always are treated like a piece of dirt by store management & regional management. No growth within the company unless the store management take a liking to you and you do a lot of greasing up to them. They really don’t care about there staff only they’re “customers” and profit margins.

Poor management

A typical shift will be unloading a lot of pallets having to drop them in the aisles, cut and face up alone. Worse part is no one can help you when you’re struggling, you get given 4 aisles to do alone if done on time get given more work, the management is very BAD, they don’t appreciate the hard work of cod workers, unfairness. The workplace culture too much gossip, and no English is spoken on floor which is a must, the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different kinds of people you work with who become good friends, when we have to stay back we don’t get paid extra, the pay is bad.. you either get the right pay or most of the time underpaid.

Pros

Meet good workers

Stressful

Started as a alright job but each year just gets harder and harder. With hours being cut regularly your just expected to do more to cover it. They say safety is first but neglect the fact that reducing team makes it harder to remain safe. Polices get changed back and forth all depending on what manager you talk to.

Pros

Some stores put on free lunches everynow and then.

Cons

Expected to work like a slave and give up any free time on there whim.

Fun, nice people

Loved my experience there. would go back if needed. Lovely staff and very easy some days but some days are obviously going to be harder than others. 8/10 experience

Cons

long hours some days when busy / up to 12 hours

fun workplace that takes care of the employees

countdown was my favourite job i had as i was young going in and everyone helped me out and looked after me. i spent 3 years at Countdown and the experience was amazing meeting people of different cultures and ages being able to get an insight on other peoples lives

Pros

everyone helped everyone

Cons

some customers come in with bad moods

Would not recommend

It's difficult to think of something positive about my time here when I was not adequately trained to do the job I was hired to do, and picked on by managers when I struggled to complete the work of three people on my own. Would not recommend

Pros

Free hot cross buns in the staff room

Cons

Poor staff management, toxic work environment

Good people, Fun job

I wasn't too happy with the department I was working in and I found it difficult to switch to another department because there was no one available to take over my position. I found some of the workers to be quite rude at times but the majority were cool. It felt like I was apart of a family.

Pros

Good people, Free food in the break room, Chocolate gifts on Easter.

Cons

Long hours, Heavy lifting.

Very clicky unfriendly staff

I was not properly support in my role at countdown Greymouth.When I had issues with staff not following Managers instructions nothing was done.A lot of pressure put on me to perform at the best and have section looking fabulous. Which is hard when other team members would listen and Managers don't support yoy

Cons

Short staffed

Growth and fun working in countdown

Its a nice company to work with. Management is really helpfull and efficient. Work life and personal life balance is good. Company is very focussed on health and safety issues.

Good

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Weekend work

Easy

Lovely staff easy to talk to with everyone. Morning shift not as busy but some days could be. Self packing check the expire dates and check if nothing is broken.

Pros

Nothing free

Cons

Easy hours

Loved it

A great place to work met alot of great people co-workers & customers. Had I not have moved I'd still have been apart of the team if I got the choice to work there again I would.

Pros

Staff discounts.

Cool, would work there again if under different management

Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been

Pros

Meeting people

Atmosphere

Countdown as Progressive group of companies, are very fair and trustful organizations. You will enjoy your day to day task and life balance . Dont hesitate your self to apply any role over here.

Pros

Free coffee or tea available

Cons

Depending on you normal hours or overtime

A very Friendly team . good atmosphere.

I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.

Pros

Free lunch

Pleasant, but short

I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward

Cons

Lack of time to get to know my coworkers

Positive and compatitive workplce

Its great working at countdown Meadowlands but its been too long over there, so need bit of change to grow more and achieve my goals. Made too many good friends, but need get out of my comfort Zone.

Pros

Free Fruits, Tv, coffee and bread

Cons

Cant see my growth as nobody is leaving

Good

Good service excellent team they are very helpful with Costomer service the workers they smile all the time and so friendly It’s easy for me to go shopping it’s close to my place l just walk 5 minutes to the shop. Countdown they have a good products

Pros

Costomer

Cons

Costomer

Good teammates

The team and the management was amazing. It is a fun place to work, everybody was very helpful. The work is fast -paced so need to learn to be fast as soon as possible.

It's a very good super market

I want to work in countdown super market because it's a very good company, and I show the stuff are enjoy during their duty time to serve the customer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets