Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Good team work
Baker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato29 March 2018
Good place to work as a team member. And also very friendly atmosphere really enjoying those who are passionate...good package for the starters..Really good to get study more about industry.
Pros
Good friendly atmosphere to work
Cons
Very stressful and not enough staff!
Nightfill (Current Employee) –  Mosgiel, Otago19 March 2018
only having 3 people to do an entire stores worth of filling is imposible And then Still Get scalded for it not getting done management is pathetic at the best of times do not recommend at all
Pros
friendly teamates
Cons
garbage managment and not enough staff
Love to be part of company
Assistant LONG LIFE (Current Employee) –  New Zealand26 February 2018
Best supermarket, reason behind always ready to help customers. According to me company is not humble or kind only with customer but also take care the employed people who so ever working in there.
Good work environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Katikati, Bay of Plenty20 February 2018
I found countdown a good environment to work an always learnt more. Any issues I felt comfortable being able to talk with management an be resolved, new policies within the store we explained to me clearly
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Trolleys when raining
productive, secure and helpful
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki3 February 2018
i enjoyed working here when I was there and only left due the store closing and having first child at the sametime. i wish to re enter the workforce now that my family is older
Pros
secure job and flexibility
Cons
cant think of any
fun and chill
Night Filler (Former Employee) –  Sylvia Park, Auckland18 December 2017
on a typical night, I would log on for the night and make my way to the back storage where I would pick up a pallet of groceries and drop them off to their appointed aisle
Cons
busy during Christmas and new years
It is a really best platform for learning something and i'm enjoying my work
fresh food assistance (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland14 December 2017
I always want to be bright future in this company.
The main reason behind my enjoyment is the management of company and i'm learning new things every single day.
All staff members of my store are very friendly and helpful.
Horrible workplace. Unprofessional management.
Long life assistant nights (Former Employee) –  Huntly, Waikato8 December 2017
Horrible supervisors. Main management blows complaints under the table and acts as though nothing has happened. Very racist working environment. Supervisors make the work place a horrible environment and are extremely useless when I comes to taking up responsibility. Extremely lazy. Management is horrible. Several complaints have been made about a specific supervisor and the main boss says he knew nothing about it. The work environment is split into different cultures by the supervisor and make it an extremely uncomfortable workplace. Would not advise anyone to work as a Longlife assistant. I have left due to the horrible experience working there.
Pros
Some staff were supportive (1 person)
Cons
Unprofessional Supervisors managements, Horrible experience. Very racist working environment ( by supervisors/ management.)
A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.
Checkout manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland6 December 2017
It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.
Work together as team
Assistant Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland5 December 2017
I love working together like team members and and learning more experience for future and be happy and keep smile do everyone at work and help for some one want your help i love share with someone if u don’t have lunch and work hard
Pros
Free 🥗
Cons
Work long hour
Fast paced and mostly fun
Seafood Assistant (Former Employee) –  Westgate, Auckland29 November 2017
I loved almost everyday working in this store. It changed so much over the 7 years I worked there. Had many different Store Managers- while they were all very efficient store managers. The best by far, is the current one. Andrew Lethbridge. He runs his team with an open door and open personality. There is nothing you couldn't go to him about. He will always try his best to guide you, support and encourage you to give it your best. He certainly helped me to become who and where I am today.
Pros
All the team are very close and we've all become like family.
Cons
Cutting hours and short staffed
Fun workplace
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Botany Downs, Auckland6 November 2017
By far the best job worked at, co-workers we’re very kind and friendly. If made a mistake wasn’t judged, always given an opportunity to learn from mistake and work towards knowing how to handle situations. Customers weren’t all good but had a good team of support. Fun environment and enjoyed the pressure of a busy day.
Pros
Good team, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, standing long periods of time
fun at work
check out operator (Former Employee) –  countdown lower hutt2 November 2017
i got to learn how to handle money using cash and eftpos cards. also i got to always meet all new customers, learning all types of products we have in the shop. how to be gentle with few products while packing in the bags.
Pros
staff ndiscounts
Cons
shift hours
It lokks good to me because every time i go shopping at countdown it makes me wanna work there
Packing (Former Employee) –  Tinwald Ashburton30 October 2017
I want to work in countdown because I love packing and unpacking stuff and also working with others and helping other people to find stuff what they looking for
Catty environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Rotorua, Bay of Plenty12 October 2017
Worked there as a teenager and it was horrible! One supervisor would tell you to do something a certain way and the other would suggest you do something completely different, I was expected to know everything when it'd been my first job ever as a checkout operator and co-workers would constantly gossip in front of me and customers, it was disgusting and they seriously need to learn basic HR. Overall, I'd say only had a handful of co-workers that were pleasant the 7 months I worked there.

I just remember 2 supervisors that worked there went out of their way to be completely textbook, narcissistic, sociopathic, headcases for no reason, the only reason I even gave the job a 2 star rating was cos I changed supervisors that was extremely nice to me.
Pros
Good hours, good pay (for a teenager), re-training, not having to deal with the same nightmarish supervisor everyday.
Cons
Extremely awful HR, bullying.
Working at countdown looks good for me
Countdown (Former Employee) –  Ashburton allenton26 September 2017
I am a year 11 at Ashburton college I would like to work at countdown because I like packing and unpacking stuff and also I like working with other people
There's never nothing to do.
Check Out Operator (Former Employee) –  Kaikohe, Northland18 September 2017
Communication, preparing in advance, great customer skills, quick thinking, great eye contact, a beautiful smile are all key factors to a great day. Keeps management of your backside:).

The working environment is diverse and flexible if you have potential to advance, take the oppotunity presented.

The hardest part of the day is disgruntal, angry customers, remembering eye contact and empathy, not saying sorry but saying it in form of Empathy and trying not to swear because your honest.

Some Managers were on real power trips/ very amusing while, others were good teachers but all passionate about their jobs,
at the end of their day they got their work done. From start to fiinish was always enjoyable, there was never a dole moment.
Pros
5% Discount on your groceries
Cons
Standing long hours and disgruntal customers.
Fun and Ideal
Nightfill Assistant (Former Employee) –  Papanui, Canterbury15 September 2017
This job was very ideal for me i am a bit overwhelmed at time and i was not too good at english at the time, but the people in the night fill team made me feel welcome and made it easy for me to do what what was needed to be done.
Fun place to work, friendly staff, good work environment.
Pharmaceutical Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland10 September 2017
Really good place to work for people looking for a their first job. Countdown Pay's well and give you the opportunity to move up to a higher position in the company. Staff are very nice and very accepting. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches, Good pay, opportunity to move to higher position in company.
Awesome workplace
Nightfill (Former Employee) –  Gisborne7 August 2017
Typical night would consist of dragging pallets out on the shop floor,dropping products down correct aisles and in a timely manner.Then break time,smoko, coffee, back on the shop floor opening boxes and filling shelves . Easy work , just requires physicality and the ability to be repetitive. Breaks were good, vibe was good, management awesome and made many friends :)
Pros
Good team mates, friends, and management and pay.
Cons
Physical, Repetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.