Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Review

Good if your desperate for a job, otherwise I wouldn't recommend.

9 February 2020
Good staff to work with, friendly and helpful. Fairly unorganized company overall, stressful place to work if you like structure and routine. Hours can change from week to week.
4 June 2018
Same role
Fresh Foods Assistant (Part time) (Current Employee) - Greenlane, Auckland
My duty includes to fill the load in my own department and keep the department tidy at all times. Do the face up of the products at all times. Stag the products nicely in the relevant cages.
Pros
free food for team
Cons
short shifts per day
9 February 2018
Same role
Fresh Foods Assistant (Current Employee) - Dunedin, Otago
I work in the deli & there is not enough staff to get through the required work load - making it impossible to do your job to an acceptable standard without having to skip breaks, start early or finish late (all without pay). This is because it is "not in the budget" to have the amount of rostered shifts & staff that we need.
It is very common to have to work down a person, do double shifts & work on your days off, because if someone is sick or on annual leave there is no staff to cover them. If you don't help out the department manager will be expected to work all the extra shifts, without ever having a day off - & they already have to work excessively long days because even when everyone is there we are understaffed & the work has to get done somehow. Several deli managers from stores in the area have quit due to burn out.

It seems to be the same story no matter which department you work in, & staff morale is low. People are exhausted & have had enough.

This used to be a great company to work for, but not anymore.
Pros
Slightly higher pay rate than other supermarkets
Cons
Not enough staff & staff fatigue
14 January 2020
Same location
Assistant Longlife Manager (Former Employee) - Warkworth Town District, Auckland
Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at.
Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.