Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Loved my experience there. would go back if needed. Lovely staff and very easy some days but some days are obviously going to be harder than others. 8/10 experience
Cons
long hours some days when busy / up to 12 hours
A typical shift will be unloading a lot of pallets having to drop them in the aisles, cut and face up alone. Worse part is no one can help you when you’re struggling, you get given 4 aisles to do alone if done on time get given more work, the management is very BAD, they don’t appreciate the hard work of cod workers, unfairness. The workplace culture too much gossip, and no English is spoken on floor which is a must, the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different kinds of people you work with who become good friends, when we have to stay back we don’t get paid extra, the pay is bad.. you either get the right pay or most of the time underpaid.
Pros
Meet good workers
Cons
Started as a alright job but each year just gets harder and harder. With hours being cut regularly your just expected to do more to cover it. They say safety is first but neglect the fact that reducing team makes it harder to remain safe. Polices get changed back and forth all depending on what manager you talk to.
Pros
Some stores put on free lunches everynow and then.
Cons
Expected to work like a slave and give up any free time on there whim.
countdown was my favourite job i had as i was young going in and everyone helped me out and looked after me. i spent 3 years at Countdown and the experience was amazing meeting people of different cultures and ages being able to get an insight on other peoples lives
Pros
everyone helped everyone
Cons
some customers come in with bad moods
It's difficult to think of something positive about my time here when I was not adequately trained to do the job I was hired to do, and picked on by managers when I struggled to complete the work of three people on my own. Would not recommend
Pros
Free hot cross buns in the staff room
Cons
Poor staff management, toxic work environment
I wasn't too happy with the department I was working in and I found it difficult to switch to another department because there was no one available to take over my position. I found some of the workers to be quite rude at times but the majority were cool. It felt like I was apart of a family.
Pros
Good people, Free food in the break room, Chocolate gifts on Easter.
Cons
Long hours, Heavy lifting.
I was not properly support in my role at countdown Greymouth.When I had issues with staff not following Managers instructions nothing was done.A lot of pressure put on me to perform at the best and have section looking fabulous. Which is hard when other team members would listen and Managers don't support yoy
Cons
Short staffed
Its a nice company to work with. Management is really helpfull and efficient. Work life and personal life balance is good. Company is very focussed on health and safety issues.
I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Lovely staff easy to talk to with everyone. Morning shift not as busy but some days could be. Self packing check the expire dates and check if nothing is broken.
Pros
Nothing free
Cons
Easy hours
A great place to work met alot of great people co-workers & customers. Had I not have moved I'd still have been apart of the team if I got the choice to work there again I would.
Pros
Staff discounts.
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Countdown as Progressive group of companies, are very fair and trustful organizations. You will enjoy your day to day task and life balance . Dont hesitate your self to apply any role over here.
Pros
Free coffee or tea available
Cons
Depending on you normal hours or overtime
I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward
Cons
Lack of time to get to know my coworkers
Its great working at countdown Meadowlands but its been too long over there, so need bit of change to grow more and achieve my goals. Made too many good friends, but need get out of my comfort Zone.
Pros
Free Fruits, Tv, coffee and bread
Cons
Cant see my growth as nobody is leaving
Good service excellent team they are very helpful with Costomer service the workers they smile all the time and so friendly It’s easy for me to go shopping it’s close to my place l just walk 5 minutes to the shop. Countdown they have a good products
Pros
Costomer
Cons
Costomer
I want to work in countdown super market because it's a very good company, and I show the stuff are enjoy during their duty time to serve the customer.
Good environment and friendly staff. Gain more knowledge about customer service. Great specials and deals weekly . Fast and friendly service. Always helpful
I have worked at Countdown Claudelands for 1 year and 3 months, Overall hands on and fun experience working here. Over the time working at Countdown I have learned multiple on going tasks daily and overall the experience was enjoyable.
Working at Countdown is fun for a first time job or a part time job and especially if your young. It's fun meeting new people everyday standing at the checkouts, you get to see alot of action and alot of fun and cheerful things. The coworkers at Manurewa countdown were so easy to get along with and I would recommend it to any easy going, friendly, bubbly person.