Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Stable Job

Easy work, the people I worked with were awesome. I worked Nightfill stacking shelves once the store closed so didn't really have anything to do with customers

Pros

discount on shopping

Cons

at times understaffed

Good workplace but very hard work

Pros: great people to work with, decent payCons: Very long hours ( I work about 10 hours each shift ), VERY UNDERSTAFFED, makes it very difficult to work in produce as 1 person at my store works each shift so it’s a huge amount of heavy lifting for the entire shift and lots of multitasking and back and fourths and getting things done, 10 hours seems like a lot of time but it’s not enough to get my workload done all by myself. I come home still stressed about my day at work. They refuse to hire new people and I don’t understand why, They can definitely afford it.

loved it

Was great. Challenging but great working environment. had lots of fun and made lots of friends. management was helpful and really looked out for me heh

Productive and keeps you busy.

A job I never wanted to leave. If you have a strong mindset to do the work and go home, then you’re already winning. Bonus: the people you work with (depending where you’re situated) was the best thing. The support you get is unreal, you’ll feel like you never want to leave. Know your co-workers, get a long and communication goes a long way in this company. Maybe a bit political - but opinions can vary at some point. It’s just the best.

Pros

- Co-workers got your back, Paid well, No stress, Relaxing, Building experiences, Learn different things or different roles

Overworked and underpaid

Countdown may pay well for a supermarket job but that's no excuse for all the times I've cried because of this place. Not only because of the customers but because of the overwhelming stress and pressure. After working across multiple stores it's always the same. Poor management, understaffed and the staff that are there are poorly trained. Most managers prefer to hide in the office or go home early instead of being in their department and supporting their team.

Cons

Stressful and negative work environment

Managers are quick to bite your head off when you make a mistake and most of our staff are feeling like they would rather leave than bring up how we are being treated to higher management. They run it like the army when most of our staff are teenagers wanting to make some money who are not going to work here long term.

Average Experience

Worked for Countdown NZ for almost 2 years in the checkouts department and my experience was kind of average. I was always allocated to stay on checkouts and rarely ever got a chance to do other duties and if I did closing shifts I had to stay open on checkout while my supervisors stayed at self checkouts and refused to open another lane to ease the congestion.Pros - It's good if you're a student or someone who wants to work flexible hours- Having the ability to transition into a supervisors role and get your ASL- Being able to work in other department if you wanted to, for example: deli, seafood or chilled foods.- Staff discount- Free parkingCons- Terrible management- SupervisorsAlways give breaks early to try and get it over with, they are rude especially if you make mistakes - instead of correcting the situation they make you feel like rubbish and they hardly ever rotate staff to ensure they're doing other duties. Mostly being kept at checkouts scanning.- Poor pay, I was getting below minimum wage.

Pros

Staff discount, flexible hours, ability to pick up available shifts

Cons

Terrible management, unsupportive supervisors, terrible pay.

Productive and good place

I joined this company in November 2021. And I found it is a good place for starting a job in New Zealand. Currently, I am a student and doing part-time there. So it is a pretty good experience working there. The colleagues are supportive and helpful.

Fun but stressful

The people/ team definitely make the workplace a lot morebearable. The pay is good enough to meet current living cost but could be more especially for nightf-fill team (seeing as we work odd hours).My issue is with management. There is no appreciation of what is done during the night by the night staff. You can definitely progress to the top but you wouldn't want to in this company unless you have a strong mindset and you don't want to have a social life.Its a great place to get started but then I would recommend just doing your contracted hours. You give them an inch they take a mile. Very high expectations with very little training. You get thrown into the deep end and you are expected to learn fast on your feet so then you can work more hours so to avoid hiring more people.

produce worker

The management can be sometimes slow but will execute what was asked. The environment is good to work in and is a good place if you want good money and hours and to develop good work experience

Pros

free food discount card

Cons

Some stores need key cards to access the break room

Understaffed & busy

Not enough staff so expected to do over your hours to cover others during covid. Not much training as everything is rushed & then get in trouble for not knowing things that weren’t taught

Pros

5% staff discount

Cons

Long hours, lack of training

Family work place

Countdown can be a place where when you’re working it becomes like a family environment. Everyone’s nice to each other, helps each other etc. i didn’t have a good experience before but looking back the people I was working with and bump into when I do my shopping are those who make the workplace a place that’s worth coming to work in. Just a bundle of positive energy from certain people.

Fun work, your shifts go really fast!

At time’s it’s pretty fast passed at checkout and can be stressful, a little bit of stress is healthy. I find my team great to work with, they are very patient and understanding. It’s a great work atmosphere! I’ve been there 9 month’s now and enjoy my shifts.

Terrible place to work

Working the the deli was like being back in high school. Favouritism, no positive reinforcement and management that breaks conduct. I worked there for a year I was shocked by the rudeness of the deli management and the levels of wastage produced everyday. We had the option to donate left over food on our scanners not once was it used. Not even for the fresh made sandwiches that got thrown out every night, because no one wanted to pay full price for them after they stopped reducing them. Because they were losing money, Countdown really doesn’t care about its employees.

Pros

Cons

Bad Management, Ridiculous workloads and little to no benefits other than 5% off shopping

Ok for first job

After 3 years with the company I still felt unappreciated. Good pocket money for being a student.Storeroom was the only enjoyable aspect of the company.

Stressful

Night shift was fast paced and ever changing (rules wise). Not much appreciation for those that busted their foo foo during the night to have the shop looking good the next day. Interesting enough they had plenty to say if it weren’t done and completed on time

Enjoy the staff & customers company

Loved working for countdown, the staff and some department managers were awesome, but sadly have to leave to move to aussey for the birth of my first grandson, but I'm still looking for part-time job at Woolworths, with the experience I have is hard to get. I also worked for countdown Mt Eden she was and still is awesome and the whole shop staff and management is awesome, Il work their anytime if I didn't have to leave.

Very understaffed.

Very understaffed and pressured to work all the time. Management is appalling in my store. Don't want to deal with issues you have and only like staff that agree with them.

Pros

Lunches

Cons

Not enough staff

Overall good Nice atmosphere.I like to work here

all goodStaff very co operative, atmosphere is friendly, all supportive.Homely and helping staff. Very much encourage people and manager. All kind of facility available in store, every one is good in behaviour, all are supportive.

Pros

yes tea, coffee, fruits, bread butter and jam provided

Cons

Yes you if you want more extra hours to work, you can

Less staff too much work. Doing three people's jobs

Need to be stubborn to stick with company. Plus need to be like greasing to progress further. Working with staff is alright. But be careful who you make your work friends.

Pros

Free lunches on odd occasions

Cons

Less staff.

Fun, family feel, supportive, can be stressful, not enough pay

I've been working here almost 10 years now and would say it can be good, the people you work with make the working environment great, it sometimes can get very stressful and fast paced, some Countdowns are too clicky and can definitely have a bad impact on the working environment with favouritism etc. The pros are the staff discounts, you can have some fun at work and I think it's a great way to learn people skills and customer service, You are able to move up if you are wanting to work your way up as there's a decent amount of opportunities. Can have a lot of issues with staffing and can lead to being overworked- especially working during lockdowns etc it gets very hectic, on the other side they can be very flexible with after school care or appointments you need to attend to and can work around you if needed.

Pros

staff discount, flexible, fun, meet new people, learn new skills

Cons

Staffing, Management can be Clicky, Sometimes not enough training is given, Pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?