Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews in Dunedin, Otago

Dunedin, Otago5 reviews
Countdown Dunedin Central - good productive busy, place
It is a good busy place to be working in. Meet lots of different people especially in cruise ship season. Always something to do, good environment to be in
General
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Awesome job
Always enjoyed my team and the costumers, never felt like i was clocking into work even on stress full days because the work was consistent and everyone helped everyone
Pros
People, friends and well organised work
Understaffed & Overworked
I work in the deli & there is not enough staff to get through the required work load - making it impossible to do your job to an acceptable standard without having to skip breaks, start early or finish late (all without pay). This is because it is "not in the budget" to have the amount of rostered shifts & staff that we need.
It is very common to have to work down a person, do double shifts & work on your days off, because if someone is sick or on annual leave there is no staff to cover them. If you don't help out the department manager will be expected to work all the extra shifts, without ever having a day off - & they already have to work excessively long days because even when everyone is there we are understaffed & the work has to get done somehow. Several deli managers from stores in the area have quit due to burn out.

It seems to be the same story no matter which department you work in, & staff morale is low. People are exhausted & have had enough.

This used to be a great company to work for, but not anymore.
Pros
Slightly higher pay rate than other supermarkets
Cons
Not enough staff & staff fatigue
Friendly bunch of people to work with was respected and taken seriously
Working at countdown super market was a good job I had well I was at high school in Mosgiel NZ.
There I would restock the shielves, organise the crates as they arrived, crush cardboard and lots more.

After a year doing that I had the opportunity to be trained on the till. This meant that I gained extra shifts as I continued with being grocery boy as well as surving customers on the till.

Since then I have completed a National Certificate in carpentry and have been on the tools ever sinse I left school 6 years ago.
Pros
5% store discount, locked in shifts and on a contract
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.