Countdown NZ Supermarkets

Assistant29 reviews
New Zealand29 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

good first job

Pretty good place to work, and nice to have a discount but 5% isn’t much. just paid minimum wage, but job is mostly quite relaxed but you are expected to work pretty fast. sometimes there is free food like cookies in the staff room but not often.

Fun place

Countdown is a fun place to work at. The staff there are really help full and the management is really good. It is quite relaxing but can be stressful when busy.

Pros

Nice staff, good management

Great people, but understaffed

Working in the online department is a very fast paced environment, as it is always understaffed on weekends leading to some team members not being able to take all their breaks. Staff are all very friendly and helpful

Productive and keeps you busy.

A job I never wanted to leave. If you have a strong mindset to do the work and go home, then you’re already winning. Bonus: the people you work with (depending where you’re situated) was the best thing. The support you get is unreal, you’ll feel like you never want to leave. Know your co-workers, get a long and communication goes a long way in this company. Maybe a bit political - but opinions can vary at some point. It’s just the best.

Pros

- Co-workers got your back, Paid well, No stress, Relaxing, Building experiences, Learn different things or different roles

Stressful and negative work environment

Managers are quick to bite your head off when you make a mistake and most of our staff are feeling like they would rather leave than bring up how we are being treated to higher management. They run it like the army when most of our staff are teenagers wanting to make some money who are not going to work here long term.

Productive and good place

I joined this company in November 2021. And I found it is a good place for starting a job in New Zealand. Currently, I am a student and doing part-time there. So it is a pretty good experience working there. The colleagues are supportive and helpful.

Understaffed & busy

Not enough staff so expected to do over your hours to cover others during covid. Not much training as everything is rushed & then get in trouble for not knowing things that weren’t taught

Pros

5% staff discount

Cons

Long hours, lack of training

Overall good Nice atmosphere.I like to work here

all goodStaff very co operative, atmosphere is friendly, all supportive.Homely and helping staff. Very much encourage people and manager. All kind of facility available in store, every one is good in behaviour, all are supportive.

Pros

yes tea, coffee, fruits, bread butter and jam provided

Cons

Yes you if you want more extra hours to work, you can

Very cooperative, lovely collegues

Company never pay good money however all my colleagues bring their families to work togetherAlmost of employees blamed the company never satisfied but employees take their friends, siblings to work together.

Pros

Free lunch

Poor management

A typical shift will be unloading a lot of pallets having to drop them in the aisles, cut and face up alone. Worse part is no one can help you when you’re struggling, you get given 4 aisles to do alone if done on time get given more work, the management is very BAD, they don’t appreciate the hard work of cod workers, unfairness. The workplace culture too much gossip, and no English is spoken on floor which is a must, the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different kinds of people you work with who become good friends, when we have to stay back we don’t get paid extra, the pay is bad.. you either get the right pay or most of the time underpaid.

Pros

Meet good workers

Fun, nice people

Loved my experience there. would go back if needed. Lovely staff and very easy some days but some days are obviously going to be harder than others. 8/10 experience

Cons

long hours some days when busy / up to 12 hours

Very clicky unfriendly staff

I was not properly support in my role at countdown Greymouth.When I had issues with staff not following Managers instructions nothing was done.A lot of pressure put on me to perform at the best and have section looking fabulous. Which is hard when other team members would listen and Managers don't support yoy

Cons

Short staffed

longlife assistant

was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time

Pros

managment treats over Christmas and New year

Cons

Productive and fun work place

I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........

Decent pay for stacking shelves

Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair. My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself. As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).

Pros

Long breaks, somewhat casual

Cons

Long hours, understaffing, rude management

Immature yet challenging

Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters. The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction. They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional. They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior. Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.

Okay workplace, not great, not terrible

From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.

productive and fun workplace

It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked

Productive and fun workplace

My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.

Pros

Challenging job have to hit targets

Cons

Department manager with lack of knowledge . Can't manage putting pressure on team making team stay after 6:30 even after they finish their shift

Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s. Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism

Pros

Harassing managers, no respect

Cons

Love to be part of company

Best supermarket, reason behind always ready to help customers. According to me company is not humble or kind only with customer but also take care the employed people who so ever working in there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets
  • Assistant
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?