Countdown NZ Supermarkets logo
Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Assistant

3.6Work–Life Balance

Fun, nice people

Loved my experience there. would go back if needed. Lovely staff and very easy some days but some days are obviously going to be harder than others. 8/10 experience

Cons

long hours some days when busy / up to 12 hours

Poor management

A typical shift will be unloading a lot of pallets having to drop them in the aisles, cut and face up alone. Worse part is no one can help you when you’re struggling, you get given 4 aisles to do alone if done on time get given more work, the management is very BAD, they don’t appreciate the hard work of cod workers, unfairness. The workplace culture too much gossip, and no English is spoken on floor which is a must, the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting different kinds of people you work with who become good friends, when we have to stay back we don’t get paid extra, the pay is bad.. you either get the right pay or most of the time underpaid.

Pros

Meet good workers

Very clicky unfriendly staff

I was not properly support in my role at countdown Greymouth.When I had issues with staff not following Managers instructions nothing was done.A lot of pressure put on me to perform at the best and have section looking fabulous. Which is hard when other team members would listen and Managers don't support yoy

Cons

Short staffed

longlife assistant

was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time

Pros

managment treats over Christmas and New year

Cons

Productive and fun work place

I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........

Decent pay for stacking shelves

Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair. My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself. As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).

Pros

Long breaks, somewhat casual

Cons

Long hours, understaffing, rude management

Immature yet challenging

Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters. The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction. They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional. They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior. Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.

Okay workplace, not great, not terrible

From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.

productive and fun workplace

It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked

Productive and fun workplace

My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.

Pros

Challenging job have to hit targets

Cons

Department manager with lack of knowledge . Can't manage putting pressure on team making team stay after 6:30 even after they finish their shift

Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s. Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism

Pros

Harassing managers, no respect

Cons

Love to be part of company

Best supermarket, reason behind always ready to help customers. According to me company is not humble or kind only with customer but also take care the employed people who so ever working in there.

very friendly and productive enviroment

Very fun environment to work at. Understanding management with respect to every culture. Online assistant itself is a challenging and fun working atmosphere. It's a great privilege to work under Progressive Distribution.

it is interesting and energetic to work with countdown supermarket

working with countdown New Zealand supermarket is quite a new experience for me. working in this dynamic environment would surely provide me an opportunity to explore and enhance my skills and assist me in a brighter career ahead

Pros

dynamic environment, healthy breaks

Cons

countdown is big company for working.

i am working as long life assistant in a countdown. my duties are lifting, the boxes and filling all the items in store.The team member are really nice, they always ready to help.

okay working environment. people were over bearing but overall it was an okay working experience

I learned a lot from my co workers, very stable and steady minded. some people were quite snobby and overbearingly rude. wage could be better for such a hands on job. enjoyed most days at work. i was always laughing.

Cons

Long hours, ratchet pay.

Enjoyed the job and the people

working night shifts i enjoyed it as it wasn't so busy in store but working some day shifts was different but also didn't mind it as customers that needed help i loved to see the smile on their face when i could find the groceries they needed especially when they were busy minding their children or an elderly person not being able to reach it on the shelf.

Pros

more hours offered

Cons

not enough notice to do shifts

Awesome management loved working within this company

i liked being an employee at countdown i enjoyed being part of a team i worked evenings and sometimes days. i want to find something in a similar role.

Pros

staff cards

Cons

N/a

Countdown

Working for this company gave me the opportunity to learn more skills and add to my knowledge base. My co-workers were very supportive but there was no team work with the others that did not want to be around us.

Good place to work. Great Staff

I enjoyed working at countdown. Very busy place but still had time for a laugh with other team members plus the management were fair and usually came down to work along side us.

Pros

good group of people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets