Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Assistant

Assistant17 reviews
New Zealand17 reviews
I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........
was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time
Pros
managment treats over Christmas and New year
Cons
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair.

My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself.

As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters.
The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction.

They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional.

They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior.

Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.
From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.
It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked
My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.
Pros
Challenging job have to hit targets
Cons
Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s.
Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism
Pros
Harassing managers, no respect
Cons
Best supermarket, reason behind always ready to help customers. According to me company is not humble or kind only with customer but also take care the employed people who so ever working in there.
Very fun environment to work at. Understanding management with respect to every culture. Online assistant itself is a challenging and fun working atmosphere. It's a great privilege to work under Progressive Distribution.
working with countdown New Zealand supermarket is quite a new experience for me. working in this dynamic environment would surely provide me an opportunity to explore and enhance my skills and assist me in a brighter career ahead
Pros
dynamic environment, healthy breaks
Cons
i am working as long life assistant in a countdown. my duties are lifting, the boxes and filling all the items in store.The team member are really nice, they always ready to help.
I learned a lot from my co workers, very stable and steady minded. some people were quite snobby and overbearingly rude. wage could be better for such a hands on job. enjoyed most days at work. i was always laughing.
Cons
Long hours, ratchet pay.
working night shifts i enjoyed it as it wasn't so busy in store but working some day shifts was different but also didn't mind it as customers that needed help i loved to see the smile on their face when i could find the groceries they needed especially when they were busy minding their children or an elderly person not being able to reach it on the shelf.
Pros
more hours offered
Cons
not enough notice to do shifts
i liked being an employee at countdown i enjoyed being part of a team i worked evenings and sometimes days. i want to find something in a similar role.
Pros
staff cards
Cons
N/a
Working for this company gave me the opportunity to learn more skills and add to my knowledge base. My co-workers were very supportive but there was no team work with the others that did not want to be around us.
I enjoyed working at countdown. Very busy place but still had time for a laugh with other team members plus the management were fair and usually came down to work along side us.
Pros
good group of people