Countdown NZ Supermarkets

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Cashier

Typical day
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland16 February 2020
Ā typical day was meet and greet customers keeping your area clean and putting groceries back on the shelf but I was offered to other jobs within the company when it was slow
Productive and fun workplace
Checkout assistant (Former Employee) –  Browns Bay, Auckland2 February 2020
You really feel supported being a part of this team. The customers are usually friendly and you start to recognise the locals. Breaks were regular and there were always a large variety of lunch options to either buy in store, or walk up to the staff room and be treated to donuts, coffee and chips, etc.
A good/fun store to work in.
A good family/ team environment to work in.
My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness.
A fun team to work with as well.
Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management.
Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave.
Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.
Loved working here good environment good people.
Checkout Operator/online shop assistant. (Former Employee) –  Putaruru, Waikato11 November 2019
I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.
fun workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Upper Hutt, Wellington21 October 2019
since I have been working at countdown I have learned a lot about customer service and have managed to create and have conversations with strangers easier than before. The hardest part of the job is when all the customers come into shop and there is not enough people on checkout but we manage to get through it professionally. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and be able to make peoples day by talking to them and seeing how they are.
They lack in communication. Always short staffed.
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty31 July 2019
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
Never again
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Levin, Manawatu-Wanganui27 May 2019
I was casual and hardly given any shifts, people that started working there after me were offered permanent shifts.
Certain people were allowed on certain (easy tills).
Didn't feel welcomed at all.
Would never go back there or the company ever again.
Pros
Nothing I can think of
Cons
Too many
Was ok But Managers Screwed Up
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Wanganui8 March 2019
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
Great after school/weekend job for students
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, Waikato19 November 2018
I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Too much gossip and catty staff
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Manukau City10 November 2018
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Enjoyable work place
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland9 November 2018
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had.
Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.
okay
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Lynfield, Auckland16 October 2018
the hardest job i had on a typical day was to keep customers happy and also the team happy and making sure your day ends good. the most important part is to keep yourself happy and to know you had a good or bad day at work.
Pros
breaks
Cons
Great team and great environment
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/ CHECKOUT SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Greenlane, Auckland26 September 2018
I enjoyed working with customers and being around people who truly care for the needs of the customers was amazing. I learnt a lot such as the importance of store policies and the fundamental aspects of laws in New Zealand that has to do with cigarettes and alcohol. Maintaining a great working ethic was a norm and being able to be confident in my job taught me to be bold and meet targets. The thing i most enjoyed about my job was those I worked with at checkouts and how we were a family who truly cared for one another and just enjoyed working together.
Pros
Great team
productive but dramatic workplace
Checkout Operator (Current Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty3 July 2018
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.
Pros
often free food upstairs
Cons
understaffed
Ups and downs, ups dont outweigh the downs so i have to leave
Checkout operator (Current Employee) –  Motueka, Tasman23 June 2018
Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.
Pros
Meet some truly amazing people.
Cons
Not enough hours and terrible management
management
CHECKOUT OPERATOR/DELI/SEAFOOD ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato4 June 2018
issues with fairness and how situations are handled by senior staff.
being spoken down to by senior staff as if our job doesnt matter, being asked to do jobs on top of usual work and expected to complete them but wont be paid if we work past contracted hours.
Productive and Interactive
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelston, Auckland18 May 2018
From my previous experience in Countdown I felt it added growth to my personal and professional development. As a checkout operator we are constantly engaging and interacting with customers, which aids in enhancing ones leadership qualities, confidence, communication skills, ability to build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks to name a few. My time and experience has served as a solid foundation for progression into more advanced roles. The hardest part is dealing with rude customers, however I remain calm and still show love and kindness because I strive to put the needs of others before myself in my work and outside of work. The most enjoyable part is being apart of a positive team culture where you can be yourself, feel valued and establish and maintain relationships with customers and colleagues. It would be a great honor to be a part of a team like countdowns again.
Pros
Relationships and Free food
Cons
Standing for long shifts
Comfortable Place to Work
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato2 May 2018
Countdown Supermarkets was a comfortable place to work with understanding and helpful management. I learned how to handle cash and engage positively with customers.
Pros
Flexible work hours, understanding of mental health
Good Place to shop
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Tauranga, Bay of Plenty22 April 2018
Countdown Greerton has a warm and welcoming vibe. I shop there because the staff is friendly and it's easy to find my way around the store. I enjoy shopping here because it is convenient for where i live
Good work environment
Checkout Operator (Former Employee) –  Katikati, Bay of Plenty20 February 2018
I found countdown a good environment to work an always learnt more. Any issues I felt comfortable being able to talk with management an be resolved, new policies within the store we explained to me clearly
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Trolleys when raining

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.