Countdown NZ Supermarkets

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Cashier

Cashier90 reviews
New Zealand90 reviews

3.5Work–Life Balance

Average but good place for first time job

Good lace for a first part time job in high school. Management can be quite lazy and rude and have no problem making you work as many shifts as possible but sit in their office doing nothing. Discount is alright but nothing much.

fun and great place

great place with great peopleAs a shy person who had to come out of my shell and serve people, I initially loved it because it was a wonderful place for me to learn new skills and boost my confidence. I was with CD for three years, however I recently left due to terrible management.er

Good place to start work/learn skills and knowledge

I loved it in the beginning it was a fun environment for me learning new skills and bringing out my confidence as I was a shy person so having to come out of my shell and serve customers was awesome. I have been with CD for 3 years but have recently gave it up because of poor management.

Pros

Staff discount

fun workplace

lovely staff and fun workplace there are many jobs that you can find the right one that fits with you, theyre great to staff and they really look after their staff, plenty of opportunities to develop your career

fun workplace

really good place to work, loved the atmosphere and everyone I met. definitely recommend to others to work here, cery enjoyable place to work. good management as well

Average Experience

Worked for Countdown NZ for almost 2 years in the checkouts department and my experience was kind of average. I was always allocated to stay on checkouts and rarely ever got a chance to do other duties and if I did closing shifts I had to stay open on checkout while my supervisors stayed at self checkouts and refused to open another lane to ease the congestion.Pros - It's good if you're a student or someone who wants to work flexible hours- Having the ability to transition into a supervisors role and get your ASL- Being able to work in other department if you wanted to, for example: deli, seafood or chilled foods.- Staff discount- Free parkingCons- Terrible management- SupervisorsAlways give breaks early to try and get it over with, they are rude especially if you make mistakes - instead of correcting the situation they make you feel like rubbish and they hardly ever rotate staff to ensure they're doing other duties. Mostly being kept at checkouts scanning.- Poor pay, I was getting below minimum wage.

Pros

Staff discount, flexible hours, ability to pick up available shifts

Cons

Terrible management, unsupportive supervisors, terrible pay.

Fun work, your shifts go really fast!

At time’s it’s pretty fast passed at checkout and can be stressful, a little bit of stress is healthy. I find my team great to work with, they are very patient and understanding. It’s a great work atmosphere! I’ve been there 9 month’s now and enjoy my shifts.

Very understaffed.

Very understaffed and pressured to work all the time. Management is appalling in my store. Don't want to deal with issues you have and only like staff that agree with them.

Pros

Lunches

Cons

Not enough staff

Less staff too much work. Doing three people's jobs

Need to be stubborn to stick with company. Plus need to be like greasing to progress further. Working with staff is alright. But be careful who you make your work friends.

Pros

Free lunches on odd occasions

Cons

Less staff.

Working at CD was a very big eye opener for me. There was good and not so good things. That's the reality of retail for you.

A typical day at work if you're a checkout operator is expect to do more than being a checkout operator... Here's what I mean. You will be expected to do checkouts, get online orders, trolleys, put back returns, handle money, get ALS to approve alcohol. It varies. But I will say if you're doing checkouts majority of the day expect your legs to hurt so do little leg stretches once in awhile. Yes if you're new you will be trained to a certain extend but expect to do more by yourself. I did learn a lot of patience especially with elderly or getting a ALS to approve alcohol if store is busy and its a very good skill that I lacked but now I've mastered it. Countdown is very moderate to fast paced when it does get busy but other days you'll be waiting at the checkout for awhile. I don't think there was a hardest part or easiest part of the job, I think its more of I'm practicing and I'll get better at them and that's exactly what I did. I believe the most enjoyable time for I think all workers is clocking out. Its the thoughts of " Yes, I did my best today, now I get to rest for the night". And, then the routine continues the next day. Management could be better a little minor things but that was about it. I will say don't take things personal and if you're struggling at something, ask for help or trial it yourself to get better! But the best part of my day was assisting the elderly!

Pros

Easy scanning/technology to get a hang of, a little training to get you started (but don't expect too much, that's when your personal skills come in handy), can work extra hours = more pay, meeting new people.

Cons

Some grumpy people, when its summer trolleys are a pain (drink lots of water/wear a hat)

Stressful work environment

I worked for countdown for over 2 years and they never took me seriously in moving up into a higher position. They made me feel insignificant within the job place and I was just another number in the payroll to them. They don’t respect the staff. And it was hard to take time off even when it’s a family emergency. They make you feel guilty for taking sick days when you are sick and expect you to work over your normal hours every day.

Loved it

A great place to work met alot of great people co-workers & customers. Had I not have moved I'd still have been apart of the team if I got the choice to work there again I would.

Pros

Staff discounts.

A very Friendly team . good atmosphere.

I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.

Pros

Free lunch

Pleasant, but short

I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.

Pros

Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward

Cons

Lack of time to get to know my coworkers

Great Customer Service

Good environment and friendly staff. Gain more knowledge about customer service. Great specials and deals weekly . Fast and friendly service. Always helpful

I recommend working there

Working at Countdown is fun for a first time job or a part time job and especially if your young. It's fun meeting new people everyday standing at the checkouts, you get to see alot of action and alot of fun and cheerful things. The coworkers at Manurewa countdown were so easy to get along with and I would recommend it to any easy going, friendly, bubbly person.

productive

very on and off. in this job it is very productive and hard at times but it is a very good first job. it is also a great job to meet new people and make new mates.

fun place to work apart from the drams that was going on

the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.

n/a

Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed

Enjoyable part of job

The most enjoyable thing about working with Countdown is meeting new people from all backgrounds and making life-long friendships with employees from all departments within the supermarket.

Hard workplace

Tiring and difficult working environment, hard labor. Generally, good people to work with but the overall workload is quite excessive compared to other places of work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets