Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Cashier

I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward
Cons
Lack of time to get to know my coworkers
A great place to work met alot of great people co-workers & customers. Had I not have moved I'd still have been apart of the team if I got the choice to work there again I would.
Pros
Staff discounts.
I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Good environment and friendly staff. Gain more knowledge about customer service. Great specials and deals weekly . Fast and friendly service. Always helpful
Working at Countdown is fun for a first time job or a part time job and especially if your young. It's fun meeting new people everyday standing at the checkouts, you get to see alot of action and alot of fun and cheerful things. The coworkers at Manurewa countdown were so easy to get along with and I would recommend it to any easy going, friendly, bubbly person.
very on and off. in this job it is very productive and hard at times but it is a very good first job. it is also a great job to meet new people and make new mates.
the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.
Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed
The most enjoyable thing about working with Countdown is meeting new people from all backgrounds and making life-long friendships with employees from all departments within the supermarket.
Tiring and difficult working environment, hard labor. Generally, good people to work with but the overall workload is quite excessive compared to other places of work.
It's wonderful place to work. Every day you learn something different. Always keep calm as some customers can bit handful. Be friendly and helpful to staff and customers.
Really loved working there, it was good that I had a lot of opportunities to work in other departments and didn’t stay at checkouts all the time. I mostly did work the 12:00 and after shifts and always on weekends
Ā typical day was meet and greet customers keeping your area clean and putting groceries back on the shelf but I was offered to other jobs within the company when it was slow
You really feel supported being a part of this team. The customers are usually friendly and you start to recognise the locals. Breaks were regular and there were always a large variety of lunch options to either buy in store, or walk up to the staff room and be treated to donuts, coffee and chips, etc.
Very welcoming and nice people. Learned valuable life skills in negotiating and how to deal with different types of people. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, but was worth it!
It was a good job but most time there were a lot of things that could have been better. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a really friendly team members to work and get along with.
A good family/ team environment to work in. My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness. A fun team to work with as well. Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management. Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave. Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.
I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.
since I have been working at countdown I have learned a lot about customer service and have managed to create and have conversations with strangers easier than before. The hardest part of the job is when all the customers come into shop and there is not enough people on checkout but we manage to get through it professionally. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and be able to make peoples day by talking to them and seeing how they are.
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
This is the place where an individual can start and flourish there career. As a supermarket it has different branches where you can utilize your skills and can learn new.