Countdown NZ Supermarkets

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Checkout Manager

productive, secure and helpful
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Plymouth, Taranaki3 February 2018
i enjoyed working here when I was there and only left due the store closing and having first child at the sametime. i wish to re enter the workforce now that my family is older
Pros
secure job and flexibility
Cons
cant think of any
A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.
Checkout manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, Auckland6 December 2017
It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.
Busy fun workplace
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Auckland NZ9 August 2017
I started off as a checkout operator and worked myself up to checkout supervisor. I was in charge of opening the shop in the mornings, sorting out rosters, ordering products behind counter and loads of money handling. I loved this job i got to meet different customers everyday and make them happy with awsome customer services. But you do get the difficult customers too but thats my challenge try make each customer happy. Loved it
Cons
Early starts
Awesome workplace
Service Manager,, Checkout &Chilled Manager, (Former Employee) –  Bay of Plenty31 May 2017
A typical day revolved everyday around the customer,cleanliness and ensuring that the customers visit was always a pleasant one.
The hours were great and any issues were always resolved quickly and efficiently
Less than ideal
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato8 March 2017
My manager manipulated people into shifts. I was forced to stop sport because of it. However the pay at 19 an hour was great I had hours to put me through uni
Fun and enjoyable work place
Checkout supervisor (Former Employee) –  Pukekohe, Auckland7 February 2017
Learnt to become a supervisor and being in charge of many staff members from a young age, Difficult customers became a overall challenge, but also had good interaction with the customers that became regulars in the store.
Pros
free dinners
Cons
late nights on Saturday and Sundays.
Great place as a stepping stone
Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland2 April 2016
My days in Countdown are generally busy as it is in the central city. I've learnt a lot about management and have practiced my people skills in my days there. It has been an excellent stepping stone for my career.
Great place
Checkout 2Ic and supervisor (Former Employee) –  New Brighton, Canterbury6 March 2016
This placement was one of my favourite due to the customers who were like family to me, knowing most of them through the good and bad times after the earthquakes, where we bandied around as a community.
fun staff
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Manukau City, N23 September 2015
Fun place to work staff were great often understaffed though.the best part of working at countdown was my co workers just an all round good bunch of people never really interacted with management but had no problems so perhaps that was a good thing
Pros
friendly co workers and flexible hours
Cons
often understaffed
Great team environment
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  North Shore, Auckland.14 June 2015
Countdown was a great first job for me and the staff that worked there made it all the better. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction and seeing myself progress within a job (checkout operator to checkout supervisor). I would supervise a number of staff and deal with complaints and queries that a normal checkout operator may not be able to deal with.
Pros
Lively staff, great management.
Cons
Very irregular hours.
Productive and Fun enviroment
Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hamilton4 May 2015
A typical day at work consists of lots of smiles from co-workers the management. I have learned how to have great communication and Customer service skills, I have learned how to be polite and courteous to customers that have any sort of problem and customers who i cannot authorise sales of tobacco and alcohol to because of the rules and laws around those sales.

Management are great but there downfall is not offering extra shifts to the staff who continuously ask for extra hours.

The hardest part of the job is definitely the difficult customers who get upset if they cannot find what they are looking for, or the customers that come in with the wrong kind of ID for alcohol and tobacco purchases or the customers who get upset when refused the sale.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely meeting all the different people who come through the supermarket and all the things you learn from the stories they tell you.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
Not enough hours offered
fun
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wainuiomata Lower Hutt6 August 2014
No two days were the same i enjoyed the serving the customers. the most hardest part was telling people they didnt have enough money to buy there food.
Pros
the pay
Cons
the long hours
Enjoyable place to work surrounded by all different attitudes
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, New Zealand28 April 2014
The typical day I had with Count Down Supermarket, was when I discovered a shortage in one of my check-out drawers. I had to run the surveillance video cameras and interviewed the operator. It was sad to let go of so called a good worker on something like stealing and I had learnt more how to stay alert at all time. The management of the business was very fair and the co workers were sharing ideas and help each other when in needed.
The hardest part of my job was when I could not achieve any of my customer's products satisfaction and the most enjoyable part was when I learned something new every day
Pros
Recognition rewarded
Cons
Promoted for tasks accomplishment
working in a team environment
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Morrinsville Waikato New Zealand28 April 2014
working in retail there was not many typical days.
I enjoyed dealing with lots of people and knowing that sometimes just going the extra distance to help customers would make there day. I enjoyed the team environment and training my staff members to work with me to make for a smooth shift ready to attack anything that would come our way.
Pros
beeing appreciated for the hard work you put in.
Cons
sometimes trying to find staff to fill in shifts for the weekends
My Job
CHECKOUT SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Invercargill24 February 2014
I enjoy working at countdown i have been there for a lengthy amunt of time i am looking for a new challange and more hours as they are not able to offer me anymore than i am doin.
Checkoput Supervisor
Checkout Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Hastings,5 November 2013
I enjoyed the day to day contact with regular customers who came to shop,

Managing staff and rosters, filling shifts, Closing the shop for the night or opening in the morning

Hardest part was satisfying customers, staff and bosses equally
Pros
Meeting new and different people everyday
Cons
Sometime very long days
Productive and fun at work
Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Auckland city23 March 2013
My typical day very fast and enjoyable. Everyday I meet too many different type of people so always exited to go for work. Our service needs to be fast so become quit challenging and main thing team work is most important in my job. Every person is co-operative and lead us. Management team are quit helpful. Sometime getting bed customer experience as well. But i love to working at checkout. My superior always teach me if i do something wrong. And we have made a friendly atmosphere at our work place so our customer also quit good and become regular.
Pros
provide free milk, coffee, and tea.
Cons
quit suitable shift
countdown
checkout supervisor (Current Employee) –  redwoodtown blenheim26 November 2012
i love my job and the people , the only thing is i would love more hours, my co workers are awesome and i get along with everyone at work , the hardest part of my job is sometimes getting the odd angry customer but i deal with the best i can.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
not enough hours
Countdown working environment
Checkout Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Northcote5 November 2012
The task as a checkout supervisor in Countdown, I'm responsibility to run the shift with minimum of 4 staffs and 12 staffs the max. I am responsibility of make sure all the staffs are provide great customer service to customers. When there is any mistake of price or any other issue of the products, it is my job to make sure give customer the correct products, and any refunds with refund policy. It is also my responsibility to authorized the sales of alcohol to customer.

From this position, I have learned how to deal with different kind of customers with different way. I have become more independent when some difficult customer. There is always customers that had intoxicated or without their ID and trying to purchase alcohol. When I refused to sell alcohol to them, some of customers will abuse with offense language, or physical. And I have learned to manage to deal with them with professional and polite way. I also have learned how to finish my task in efficient way, sometime, I had tried have short staffs working during the peak hours, and I always manage to deal with the peak hours with short staff with most customers are satisfy with the service.

The most enjoyable part of the job is I'm able to work with the team with fun and team work. My co-workers always willing to help when I needed them, we always helping each others. Also, I'm enjoy the moment with regular customers, it just made me feel like im belong the company, and that place.
Pros
5% staff discount with any purchase except cigarette and also dicksmiith, christmas lunch
Cons
hard to control while is peak hours
I think that COuntdown Westport needs to improve on Customer service
Checkout supervisor (Former Employee) –  westport new zealand8 September 2012
I loved my job, being a supervisor of the Checkouts was great. I loved having to ask people for their identification for buying of alcohol and smokes. I took that responsibilty very seriously
Pros
learning about self confidence to stand my grounds
Cons
no management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.