Countdown NZ Supermarkets logo
Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Checkout Manager

3.6Work–Life Balance

You will come across of a lot of upset customers, so as a supervisor I will be their first person to contact. I had no problem with sorting out disputes because I believe I have the patience for it.

Happy workplace which has table tennis table for recreation

Good bosses , good staff , happy environment , free breakfast provided , free tea and coffee get together at lunch ,milestone celebration with gift and lunch for staff

Fast-Paced and fun work place

The people were mostly fantastic to work with and the work itself was straight forward, fast-paced and mostly easy to complete. I really liked that they offered the chance to take further courses to gain certificates and improve yourself. On top of this they also have other services to help their employees through life. I really feel they were fantastic in the way they looked after their employees. Though they had wonderful opportunities I think some of the management could have been more supportive and on the ball as sometimes the lack of decisions or support from them affected the success of the job.

Pros

Staff discounts, free staff lunches on occasions, other services offered

Cons

Lack of staff

productive, secure and helpful

i enjoyed working here when I was there and only left due the store closing and having first child at the sametime. i wish to re enter the workforce now that my family is older

Pros

secure job and flexibility

Cons

cant think of any

A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.

It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.

Busy fun workplace

I started off as a checkout operator and worked myself up to checkout supervisor. I was in charge of opening the shop in the mornings, sorting out rosters, ordering products behind counter and loads of money handling. I loved this job i got to meet different customers everyday and make them happy with awsome customer services. But you do get the difficult customers too but thats my challenge try make each customer happy. Loved it

Cons

Early starts

Awesome workplace

A typical day revolved everyday around the customer,cleanliness and ensuring that the customers visit was always a pleasant one. The hours were great and any issues were always resolved quickly and efficiently

Less than ideal

My manager manipulated people into shifts. I was forced to stop sport because of it. However the pay at 19 an hour was great I had hours to put me through uni

Fun and enjoyable work place

Learnt to become a supervisor and being in charge of many staff members from a young age, Difficult customers became a overall challenge, but also had good interaction with the customers that became regulars in the store.

Pros

free dinners

Cons

late nights on Saturday and Sundays.

Great place as a stepping stone

My days in Countdown are generally busy as it is in the central city. I've learnt a lot about management and have practiced my people skills in my days there. It has been an excellent stepping stone for my career.

Great place

This placement was one of my favourite due to the customers who were like family to me, knowing most of them through the good and bad times after the earthquakes, where we bandied around as a community.

fun staff

Fun place to work staff were great often understaffed though.the best part of working at countdown was my co workers just an all round good bunch of people never really interacted with management but had no problems so perhaps that was a good thing

Pros

friendly co workers and flexible hours

Cons

often understaffed

Great team environment

Countdown was a great first job for me and the staff that worked there made it all the better. The most enjoyable part of the job was the customer interaction and seeing myself progress within a job (checkout operator to checkout supervisor). I would supervise a number of staff and deal with complaints and queries that a normal checkout operator may not be able to deal with.

Pros

Lively staff, great management.

Cons

Very irregular hours.

Productive and Fun enviroment

A typical day at work consists of lots of smiles from co-workers the management. I have learned how to have great communication and Customer service skills, I have learned how to be polite and courteous to customers that have any sort of problem and customers who i cannot authorise sales of tobacco and alcohol to because of the rules and laws around those sales. Management are great but there downfall is not offering extra shifts to the staff who continuously ask for extra hours. The hardest part of the job is definitely the difficult customers who get upset if they cannot find what they are looking for, or the customers that come in with the wrong kind of ID for alcohol and tobacco purchases or the customers who get upset when refused the sale. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely meeting all the different people who come through the supermarket and all the things you learn from the stories they tell you.

Pros

Great Salary

Cons

Not enough hours offered

fun

No two days were the same i enjoyed the serving the customers. the most hardest part was telling people they didnt have enough money to buy there food.

Pros

the pay

Cons

the long hours

Enjoyable place to work surrounded by all different attitudes

The typical day I had with Count Down Supermarket, was when I discovered a shortage in one of my check-out drawers. I had to run the surveillance video cameras and interviewed the operator. It was sad to let go of so called a good worker on something like stealing and I had learnt more how to stay alert at all time. The management of the business was very fair and the co workers were sharing ideas and help each other when in needed. The hardest part of my job was when I could not achieve any of my customer's products satisfaction and the most enjoyable part was when I learned something new every day

Pros

Recognition rewarded

Cons

Promoted for tasks accomplishment

working in a team environment

working in retail there was not many typical days. I enjoyed dealing with lots of people and knowing that sometimes just going the extra distance to help customers would make there day. I enjoyed the team environment and training my staff members to work with me to make for a smooth shift ready to attack anything that would come our way.

Pros

beeing appreciated for the hard work you put in.

Cons

sometimes trying to find staff to fill in shifts for the weekends

My Job

I enjoy working at countdown i have been there for a lengthy amunt of time i am looking for a new challange and more hours as they are not able to offer me anymore than i am doin.

Checkoput Supervisor

I enjoyed the day to day contact with regular customers who came to shop, Managing staff and rosters, filling shifts, Closing the shop for the night or opening in the morning Hardest part was satisfying customers, staff and bosses equally

Pros

Meeting new and different people everyday

Cons

Sometime very long days

Productive and fun at work

My typical day very fast and enjoyable. Everyday I meet too many different type of people so always exited to go for work. Our service needs to be fast so become quit challenging and main thing team work is most important in my job. Every person is co-operative and lead us. Management team are quit helpful. Sometime getting bed customer experience as well. But i love to working at checkout. My superior always teach me if i do something wrong. And we have made a friendly atmosphere at our work place so our customer also quit good and become regular.

Pros

provide free milk, coffee, and tea.

Cons

quit suitable shift

countdown

i love my job and the people , the only thing is i would love more hours, my co workers are awesome and i get along with everyone at work , the hardest part of my job is sometimes getting the odd angry customer but i deal with the best i can.

Pros

staff discount

Cons

not enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets