Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Started as a alright job but each year just gets harder and harder. With hours being cut regularly your just expected to do more to cover it. They say safety is first but neglect the fact that reducing team makes it harder to remain safe. Polices get changed back and forth all depending on what manager you talk to.
Pros
Some stores put on free lunches everynow and then.
Cons
Expected to work like a slave and give up any free time on there whim.
I was not properly support in my role at countdown Greymouth.When I had issues with staff not following Managers instructions nothing was done.A lot of pressure put on me to perform at the best and have section looking fabulous. Which is hard when other team members would listen and Managers don't support yoy
Cons
Short staffed
Its a nice company to work with. Management is really helpfull and efficient. Work life and personal life balance is good. Company is very focussed on health and safety issues.
Lovely staff easy to talk to with everyone. Morning shift not as busy but some days could be. Self packing check the expire dates and check if nothing is broken.
Pros
Nothing free
Cons
Easy hours
A great place to work met alot of great people co-workers & customers. Had I not have moved I'd still have been apart of the team if I got the choice to work there again I would.
Pros
Staff discounts.
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward
Cons
Lack of time to get to know my coworkers
I want to work in countdown super market because it's a very good company, and I show the stuff are enjoy during their duty time to serve the customer.
Good environment and friendly staff. Gain more knowledge about customer service. Great specials and deals weekly . Fast and friendly service. Always helpful
I have worked at Countdown Claudelands for 1 year and 3 months, Overall hands on and fun experience working here. Over the time working at Countdown I have learned multiple on going tasks daily and overall the experience was enjoyable.
Working at Countdown is fun for a first time job or a part time job and especially if your young. It's fun meeting new people everyday standing at the checkouts, you get to see alot of action and alot of fun and cheerful things. The coworkers at Manurewa countdown were so easy to get along with and I would recommend it to any easy going, friendly, bubbly person.
I worked at the airport Countdown through school every Friday, I did not get paid for doing this but got NCEA level 2 credits instead. I worked for a job experience and learned a lot while being there. They have a great cultural workplace and are very friendly with customers. I learned time management as well as staying on my feet throughout the day. A typical day would be really busy stocking new products and throwing out old ones but its part of the job and isn't too bad.
It was fun working at cowntdown supermarket as i was supervisor i really enjoyed working with them good payrates nd my job was really very well over there
Pros
Good payrates
Cons
Stressful
i am grateful and thankful for the opportunity i receive to work learn and grow in my career at countdown.i would recommend young people to work for countdown to learn the culture and enviornment.
very on and off. in this job it is very productive and hard at times but it is a very good first job. it is also a great job to meet new people and make new mates.
the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.
Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed
You will come across of a lot of upset customers, so as a supervisor I will be their first person to contact. I had no problem with sorting out disputes because I believe I have the patience for it.
Its has been with very mixed emotions that I have had to give up my job due to my move. Not something I wanted to do but had to be done. I had hoped to stay with the company but it doesn't look like that will happen. I have enjoyed my time working with countdown for the past 33yrs. I have meet so many people across my time here and made alot of friends. The last 3yrs have been the best working as a Masterdata specialist.