Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Job Security & Advancement reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Its a nice company to work with. Management is really helpfull and efficient. Work life and personal life balance is good. Company is very focussed on health and safety issues.
I wish I could have stayed on longer, as I was having a good time and getting to know my fellow co-workers. Other than that, it was rather straightforward. When customers came up to my till or asked me questions about where to find something, I was always happy to help out and serve them to the best of my ability.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, good hours, straightfoward
Cons
Lack of time to get to know my coworkers
I have worked at Countdown Claudelands for 1 year and 3 months, Overall hands on and fun experience working here. Over the time working at Countdown I have learned multiple on going tasks daily and overall the experience was enjoyable.
i am grateful and thankful for the opportunity i receive to work learn and grow in my career at countdown.i would recommend young people to work for countdown to learn the culture and enviornment.
You will come across of a lot of upset customers, so as a supervisor I will be their first person to contact. I had no problem with sorting out disputes because I believe I have the patience for it.
Really loved working there, it was good that I had a lot of opportunities to work in other departments and didn’t stay at checkouts all the time. I mostly did work the 12:00 and after shifts and always on weekends
I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.
In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.
I was casual and hardly given any shifts, people that started working there after me were offered permanent shifts. Certain people were allowed on certain (easy tills). Didn't feel welcomed at all. Would never go back there or the company ever again.
Pros
Nothing I can think of
Cons
Too many
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Friendly working environment Great customer interaction Did not use any of my skills and found it not to satisfy my need to work in a area where I could use my skills
Pros
Informal environment
Cons
no challanges
Countdown was fun and gave me alot of experience within the woolworths range. Helped provide income on a weekly basis, the environment was productive and energizing to work in.
As a young woman this was a great start into retail Being a supermarket I was able to work in difgerwnt departments and learn new things. Many happy memories.
Pros
Money
Cons
Work load
Good workplace great food based environment. Work based section has some faults but team work is needed to succeed to let the company move forward with better references.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Workers constantly being pressured to come to work without enough off days
Everyday was a learning experience, had worked in chill department and later on moved to sea food. enjoyed my time in northcote countdown. but i loved the time i spent in johnsonville countdown it was my most memorable experience.
Very fun environment to work at. Understanding management with respect to every culture. Online assistant itself is a challenging and fun working atmosphere. It's a great privilege to work under Progressive Distribution.
Countdown works hard to keep the employees safe and happy. The workplace culture is friendly and typical of a supermarket. Countdown gave me the opportunity to learn butchery and taught me a wide range of skills and gave me lots of experience with working with others.
Really good place to work for people looking for a their first job. Countdown Pay's well and give you the opportunity to move up to a higher position in the company. Staff are very nice and very accepting. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches, Good pay, opportunity to move to higher position in company.
Cons
I worked in Ambika engineering after my graduation, it was a nice experience for me. I learned many things like how to work in group and to manage the things also I learned how to work in under pressure.
as I had only just finished college as a first job this built up my customer service skills and help me build self confidence and I learnt a lot working here specially with cash handling and supervising
Pros
customer service
Cons
was on minimum wage at the time really struggled