Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Management reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Its a nice company to work with. Management is really helpfull and efficient. Work life and personal life balance is good. Company is very focussed on health and safety issues.
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
I worked at the airport Countdown through school every Friday, I did not get paid for doing this but got NCEA level 2 credits instead. I worked for a job experience and learned a lot while being there. They have a great cultural workplace and are very friendly with customers. I learned time management as well as staying on my feet throughout the day. A typical day would be really busy stocking new products and throwing out old ones but its part of the job and isn't too bad.
the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair. My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself. As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at. Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.
Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters. The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction. They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional. They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior. Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.
A good family/ team environment to work in. My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness. A fun team to work with as well. Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management. Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave. Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.
In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Countdown NZ Supermarkets?
It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line! I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Terrible senior management
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
didnt agree with my migraines at the time
It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics
Have no issues with Countdown, good and fun place to work , customers focus alot of training for Management staff , also individual training for your team. we try and go out and do alot for the community, fundraising, sausage sizzle . also social event for team to relax outside of work. Employee of the month awards and saftey hero of the month awards , also long service awards and lunch to staff
Pros
great team morale, customers focus
Cons
long hours, no staff
very busy environment to work in makes it fun for me when im busy k love my job its fun to interact with customers it is tough at times by I managed. Management was okay but could improve
Pros
shift suited my timetable with school
Cons
low pay rate
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had. Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.