Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Management reviews

New Zealand313 reviews
I worked at the airport Countdown through school every Friday, I did not get paid for doing this but got NCEA level 2 credits instead. I worked for a job experience and learned a lot while being there. They have a great cultural workplace and are very friendly with customers. I learned time management as well as staying on my feet throughout the day. A typical day would be really busy stocking new products and throwing out old ones but its part of the job and isn't too bad.
the people that are employed there at countdown Hastings are just wonderful, loved working with such energtic and family orientated group of people. Management could be better than other that it was a great place to work.
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair.

My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself.

As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at.
Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.
Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters.
The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction.
They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional.

They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior.

Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.
A good family/ team environment to work in.
My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness.

A fun team to work with as well.

Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management.
Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave.

Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.
In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.
It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line!
I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Terrible senior management
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
didnt agree with my migraines at the time
It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics
Have no issues with Countdown, good and fun place to work , customers focus alot of training for Management staff , also individual training for your team. we try and go out and do alot for the community, fundraising, sausage sizzle . also social event for team to relax outside of work. Employee of the month awards and saftey hero of the month awards , also long service awards and lunch to staff
Pros
great team morale, customers focus
Cons
long hours, no staff
very busy environment to work in makes it fun for me when im busy k
love my job its fun to interact with customers it is tough at times by I managed.

Management was okay but could improve
Pros
shift suited my timetable with school
Cons
low pay rate
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had.
Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.
easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.
had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.