Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Management reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.
easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.
had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.
The people were mostly fantastic to work with and the work itself was straight forward, fast-paced and mostly easy to complete. I really liked that they offered the chance to take further courses to gain certificates and improve yourself. On top of this they also have other services to help their employees through life. I really feel they were fantastic in the way they looked after their employees. Though they had wonderful opportunities I think some of the management could have been more supportive and on the ball as sometimes the lack of decisions or support from them affected the success of the job.
Pros
Staff discounts, free staff lunches on occasions, other services offered
Cons
Lack of staff
A day's work contained support from the team members throughout the whole store, especially during peak hours. As a checkout operator, checkouts is a prioritised department during peak hours and every time we were overwhelmed with customers we were backed up by most of the store employees. The management team did what they can and ensure that we were working in the most efficient way while make sure we were fine to work. Overall Countdown provided experience that would be essential for future work.
Pros
Lovely team work
Cons
Shift times were unclear sometimes
Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s. Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism
Pros
Harassing managers, no respect
Cons
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.
Pros
often free food upstairs
Cons
understaffed
Terrible Middle Management. Sweep customer complaints under the rug. Monopoly attitude. Customers dont really matter because they "have to shop with us"
Pros
'Nothing
Cons
Casual contracts - made replaceable at any given moment.
Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.
Pros
Meet some truly amazing people.
Cons
Not enough hours and terrible management
issues with fairness and how situations are handled by senior staff. being spoken down to by senior staff as if our job doesnt matter, being asked to do jobs on top of usual work and expected to complete them but wont be paid if we work past contracted hours.
Countdown Supermarkets was a comfortable place to work with understanding and helpful management. I learned how to handle cash and engage positively with customers.
Pros
Flexible work hours, understanding of mental health
Work was busy. Plenty of customers to shop for in Online Department. I learnt a lot by how to manage a department of 16-20 people. Management is there but most of them didn't really help as they didn't really know about the department. I knew more. I enjoyed the people at the store. Hardest part of the job was trying to find workers to help with the busy work load and management not helping
Pros
Discount in store
Cons
Long hours never did my contracted we were too busy
only having 3 people to do an entire stores worth of filling is imposible And then Still Get scalded for it not getting done management is pathetic at the best of times do not recommend at all
Pros
friendly teamates
Cons
garbage managment and not enough staff
I found countdown a good environment to work an always learnt more. Any issues I felt comfortable being able to talk with management an be resolved, new policies within the store we explained to me clearly
Pros
Team environment
Cons
Trolleys when raining
had a few management issues as we were going through a lot of staff members because we were expected to do so much in a little time with hardly any staff available.
I work in the deli & there is not enough staff to get through the required work load - making it impossible to do your job to an acceptable standard without having to skip breaks, start early or finish late (all without pay). This is because it is "not in the budget" to have the amount of rostered shifts & staff that we need. It is very common to have to work down a person, do double shifts & work on your days off, because if someone is sick or on annual leave there is no staff to cover them. If you don't help out the department manager will be expected to work all the extra shifts, without ever having a day off - & they already have to work excessively long days because even when everyone is there we are understaffed & the work has to get done somehow. Several deli managers from stores in the area have quit due to burn out. It seems to be the same story no matter which department you work in, & staff morale is low. People are exhausted & have had enough. This used to be a great company to work for, but not anymore.
Pros
Slightly higher pay rate than other supermarkets
Cons
Not enough staff & staff fatigue
Really not applicable here as this supermarket is in New Zealand I did five part time shifts, enjoyed working as a team, work mates helpful & friendly it was a good atmostphere at work . Management were on the shop floor and very approachable if we had any difficultys (Personal or job related) Hardest part of the job was when it went very quiet, I think all the staff prefered a busy day & the best part was when it was buzzing with customers as nice to have a friendly chat & your shift flys by too. I honestly enjoyed supermarket work, it's a busy job at weekends but it really is a great opportunity to study & improve your position if you want to, & you are willing to put in the time
Pros
You had discount on your personal shopping
Cons
Dragging the trolleys in if it was too quiet
Very fun environment to work at. Understanding management with respect to every culture. Online assistant itself is a challenging and fun working atmosphere. It's a great privilege to work under Progressive Distribution.
My experience at Countdown Pukekohe South has been both enjoyable and very tough. Nearly every day i have to do overtime as there is so much to do in my shift and i have do it by myself. Management is OK. I get on with them pretty well and as long as I do what needs to be done they're happy. The workplace in the bakery at Countdown Pukekohe South is alright. We have good days and bad days at work but we get the job done. The hardest part of the job is trying to do the huge work load we have in our hours as we all want to go home but we all know we need to get the job done. The best part of the job is when we learn from the management that we beat the budget for the week and the year before because it tells us that for all the problems we have we are still doing a good job.
Cons
A typical day at work is steady you'll either get patches of it's really busy or really quiet depending on what sales they currently having. I've learned a lot on the job. Management is fair and always listens to what you have to say. The workplace is good, you can make really good friends from there.