Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Management reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
I always want to be bright future in this company. The main reason behind my enjoyment is the management of company and i'm learning new things every single day. All staff members of my store are very friendly and helpful.
Horrible supervisors. Main management blows complaints under the table and acts as though nothing has happened. Very racist working environment. Supervisors make the work place a horrible environment and are extremely useless when I comes to taking up responsibility. Extremely lazy. Management is horrible. Several complaints have been made about a specific supervisor and the main boss says he knew nothing about it. The work environment is split into different cultures by the supervisor and make it an extremely uncomfortable workplace. Would not advise anyone to work as a Longlife assistant. I have left due to the horrible experience working there.
Pros
Some staff were supportive (1 person)
Cons
Unprofessional Supervisors managements, Horrible experience. Very racist working environment ( by supervisors/ management.)
They will take advantage if you let them - i am rostered on for 28 hours a week but sometimes work 60 hours as they constantly want me to cover and will guilt me into doing it and try to force me by saying no one else can work and if i say no they get annoyed at me. One of the departments i work in everyone is so catty both to me and each other, it's worse than high school and it is a horrible environment to be in. The other department is a lot nicer and i have friends there. Pay is good and it is easy to pick up and drop hours if your circumstance changes.
It's been good working and gaining knowledge on how to deal with customers and people working with you. Downside is the management is not organised with stuffs shift and does not care about health and safety.
Cons
I want to work in countdown because I love packing and unpacking stuff and also working with others and helping other people to find stuff what they looking for
Cons
Worked there as a teenager and it was horrible! One supervisor would tell you to do something a certain way and the other would suggest you do something completely different, I was expected to know everything when it'd been my first job ever as a checkout operator and co-workers would constantly gossip in front of me and customers, it was disgusting and they seriously need to learn basic HR. Overall, I'd say only had a handful of co-workers that were pleasant the 7 months I worked there. I just remember 2 supervisors that worked there went out of their way to be completely textbook, narcissistic, sociopathic, headcases for no reason, the only reason I even gave the job a 2 star rating was cos I changed supervisors that was extremely nice to me.
Pros
Good hours, good pay (for a teenager), re-training, not having to deal with the same nightmarish supervisor everyday.
Cons
Extremely awful HR, bullying.
management is awesome learn may new things related to customer service friendly environment employees security is their first priority good salary outcome
Pros
awesome enviornment
Cons
Communication, preparing in advance, great customer skills, quick thinking, great eye contact, a beautiful smile are all key factors to a great day. Keeps management of your backside:). The working environment is diverse and flexible if you have potential to advance, take the oppotunity presented. The hardest part of the day is disgruntal, angry customers, remembering eye contact and empathy, not saying sorry but saying it in form of Empathy and trying not to swear because your honest. Some Managers were on real power trips/ very amusing while, others were good teachers but all passionate about their jobs, at the end of their day they got their work done. From start to fiinish was always enjoyable, there was never a dole moment.
Pros
5% Discount on your groceries
Cons
Standing long hours and disgruntal customers.
This job is underpayed and not looked at enough, the amount of work that needs to be done under a deadline does not add up to the amount that you should of been payed, a lot of the time we only had 3 people to work the whole shop and management still required us to finish the load and to face up as well with vigorous loads, I don't know if this comes down to poor management or just pure laziness but this is a huge roll that needs to be recognised.
Pros
Can't say any
Cons
Not payed enough for the amount of work done
Always challenging and rewarding meeting new people, I learnt a lot of new things for example gap scans, temperatures, meat caps, printing out gap scans on the computer, and a new way of the running in the deli. Management were very helpful and mostly friendly. The workplace was multi-cultural and fun. The hardest part of the job for me was the cold freezer, and the enjoyable part was the cool staff.
Pros
now and then free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Typical night would consist of dragging pallets out on the shop floor,dropping products down correct aisles and in a timely manner.Then break time,smoko, coffee, back on the shop floor opening boxes and filling shelves . Easy work , just requires physicality and the ability to be repetitive. Breaks were good, vibe was good, management awesome and made many friends :)
Pros
Good team mates, friends, and management and pay.
Cons
Physical, Repetitive
Stocking shelves, helping customers. We learn new things all the time. Management is great at the moment depends on the managers you get. Culture is so diverse in our store. Meeting up with the bosses expectations. The most enjoyable things are the people I work with and when we can help a customer.
Pros
the people you work with
Cons
shortage of hours
New town was the best but I got a transfer to porirua and sorry to say this store is run by a storemanager who lies and is a bully .. bad people go
Pros
Free fruit for nite fill
Cons
Bad management back stabbing team members who like back side licking!
Countdown Supermarkets was an amazing place to work, staff were friendly and always willing to help each other. The work hours were at times long, but with a good team, duties were always carried out efficiently and with a smile. Customer care was a primary priority, and in my time there I learnt many skills such as communication and time management. Every staff member at Countdown Supermarkets worked well and to the best of their capabilities which meant the work duties were never tedious.
Structured, productive Learnt new forms of communication via instore shoppers through to online communicating with customers Thinking on your feet, problem solving Knowledge of products Management supportive Team environment healthy and productive Hardest part of job ....for me was when I left to go to Australia I would still,be working within Countdown Online Most enjoyable Team, job satisfaction and opportunities to move up within the structure of the workplace
Pros
Managers support
Workplace nd people are amazing. Management isnt that bad but so unorganised everything done last minute. Pay rates less than what we get payed. Customers make your day.
Cons
Less hours
It's a good place to work if you want to get into management and boss the workers round pretending you know how to do their job and giving them unrealistic tasks.
Pros
Secure job, not bad money
Cons
Bad management, confusing and excessive systems of doing things
No such thing as a typical day at work. My role varied from recruitment to performance management to training as well as completion of roles within departments such as daily processes, office and payroll and customer service. Most enjoyable part of the job is dealing with customers and team. Hardest part is being accountable for the store 24/7.
Would recommend this place to work to anyone willing to learn, staff are friendly management is good its a good supermarket to work for good attitude.
Pros
Celebrate long service members with free lunch, team incentives
Cons
I appreciated the learning opportunities provided. Management wasn't ideal and workload was over the top expectations. I wouldn't recommend working there if you wish to go up in the ranks, it is very hard to get appreciation.