Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Management reviews

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same
Pros
Nice people to work with
Cons
Weekend work
Countdown used to be a fun place to work but over the years with staff shortages there is a lot more pressure and stress involved. There are too many employed in upper management level and not enough staff at the core working level.
Pros
Most staff are friendly, everyone trying their best always
Cons
long hours, heavy lifing, short-staffed, lack of training, unrealistic timeframes to complete tasks
This was my first job, I had a lot of fun at this place. I was a grocery assistant, thus my role involved stocking the shelves. Each shift began and ended with a team meeting in the storeroom. My colleagues made this job enjoyable but I eventually had to leave because I was only 15/16 at the time and management would constantly extend my shifts from 10pm finish to 11pm which meant I never got home until after midnight on school nights.
Pros
Great team and environment
Cons
Late hours
There was no typical day working at a supermarket. Everyday started at a different time. I learned how to deal with people who were difficult to serve and had no idea how to treat the operator who was serving them. The management of the company I suppose was fine as I don't have anywhere else in a similar position to compare them with. All the staff were friendly towards each other and we got on well. I suppose the most difficult part of the job was determining the age of the younger customers who were buying alcohol and tobacco. The most enjoyable part would be talking and serving customers who we got to know and treated us with respect.
Pros
5% discount on our groceries with the occasional day at 10%
Cons
On feet all day and low wages.
Lovely place to work got on well with everyone management team were great supportive encouraged me to my full potential
Pros
Discount cards for staff members
Cons
Short staffed and long hours
It's an ok place if you don't mind middle management taking their frustrations on anyone below them. Being denied of entitled breaks. Stand over tactics
The hardest part of the job was time management. Ensuring all daily tasks were done in a timely manner and providing customer, particularly when other members were absent proved challenging at times.
I love the work, but over the years it's been getting harder and and less staff to with or to help. Co-workers i've worked with are very polite and loving. Everyday is always a challenge for myself as i run the second biggest department in a supermarket and only me, as for other departments they have 2 or more. The hardest thing is to try and do our daily routines and extra when you only have 9 hours, but i always stay back to try and finish, but it just drains me out, especially if i have to go and pick my daughter etc. I love the people i work along side and our day to day customers even our locals. Always an honor to serve them. Management needs alot of work, but most of them are really good to work with. I've learned alot from this job from the day i started till now and still learning.
Pros
Special events
Cons
very long hours
Typical day standing at the checkout cleaning tills, waiting for customers, serving customers. Management awesome, they interact with staff Hardest part of this job would be trying not to die from long hours of standing
Awful work environment. Really loved my job, but then a new manager came in and my feelings changed. Gossip galore and the most ridiculous management, not only in my department but throughout the store. Went to my superiors with issues and was constantly let down and swept under the rug. So glad that I've been given the opportunity to get out. So disappointed with the way I was treated working here. Would not recommend to ANYONE.
Pros
Pay was more than minimum
Cons
Poor management, lack of respect for workers
Awesome place to work friendly staff. I learned to be quick at putting things on shelves. I learned an eye for detail. My co workers were ok they were younger thsn me. The hardest part of the job was time management and stress levels. The most enjoyable part was going to work each night.
Pros
discounts
Cons
I been working with countdown for passed 10years now and I have learn so much things as I been opportunity with this company..it's great place to work with a great management and team...I have seen my career with countdown ahead.I have delpoe new skill in me...Hardworking always pays up with respect and regiosnes towards you..give me more opportunity to make Decision on my own for the shop...
Pros
our values, our principles, our love toward customer, every cents counts, productive, areas a.
Cons
Long hours are been paid and thankyou is giving with respect to you
My days in Countdown are generally busy as it is in the central city. I've learnt a lot about management and have practiced my people skills in my days there. It has been an excellent stepping stone for my career.
Friendly staff and management. Yes can be enjoyable if you are a people person can be a busy day time goes fast. Training is provided trained in different parts of the store so you are able to be adaptable at all time,
Pros
friendly store to work for
Cons
busy always on the go
It's the worst job I've done in my life, it's non-stop, there's always something to do. Managmemt is usually down hill in most stores. Gossip is high. Some stores sell old products that shouldn't be sold. I don't see how it can be fun. It's non stop cleaning, re stocking and serving. Not such a good pay rate, i don't think this job is worth $18 an hour let alone $15.69. Thumbs down for me.
Pros
Break time
Cons
Always get called in though I'm not a casual, Get pressure from manager, too much gossip, not great.
In a supermarket chain, it was different, I had dealt with different ethnctists, and the staff were fantistic, along side with the dept Managers, always willing to assist when need.
Skills Acquired: Time Management Working under pressure Team Work Customer Service Inventory Management Communication
Pros
Get to work in several departments
Cons
Not relevant to my field
i happy to work with your company. there management system is very good. all co- workers behavior is very cooperative. i love work here because wages system is very nice. i learned lot of communication skills.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
A typical day at work would involve scanning and bagging goods for the customer, as well as trolley collection from trolley bays in the car park, cleaning around and on the checkouts and returning misplaced items within the store. I learnt how to strategise well at Countdown and further enhance my problem-solving skills for when any sitaution would come up, whether it be a problem with bagging items or a customer query or complaint. Management at Countdown was good, and I was always told what I was expected to do. The co-workers I worked around were friendly and helpful when I required peer assistance. The hardest part of the job at Countdown was having to stand for long periods of time which could become exhausting, but after having a break it was fine. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing friendly customers that are satisfied with the service of Countdown.
Pros
Good support among peers
Cons
Long periods of time standing
It was good to start off as a first job, but got boring after a while as everyone wasn't to enthusiastic about work. which brought my motivation down. The job was easy, and the management was not good. they lacked motivating skills and also communication.
Pros
2 lunch breaks
Cons
very short hours, pay was not good.
Happy to work overtime and long hours,and I'm a lovely person gun work place with supportive management not all about the numbers but house you personally grow and develop . decent amount of red tape and politics but this is expected of a big company.the most enjoyable part of the job was working alongside my colleagues and learning from them the office started to get crowded as the company grew.
Pros
Free lunch