Countdown NZ Supermarkets

New Zealand373 reviews

Clear
3.5Work–Life Balance
3.5Pay & Benefits

Good workplace but very hard work

Pros: great people to work with, decent payCons: Very long hours ( I work about 10 hours each shift ), VERY UNDERSTAFFED, makes it very difficult to work in produce as 1 person at my store works each shift so it’s a huge amount of heavy lifting for the entire shift and lots of multitasking and back and fourths and getting things done, 10 hours seems like a lot of time but it’s not enough to get my workload done all by myself. I come home still stressed about my day at work. They refuse to hire new people and I don’t understand why, They can definitely afford it.

It is what you make of it

Overall a great company to work for. Very proactive with safety and career opportunities are there for the taking. Decent wages, workplace culture depends on management

Pros

Fair wages and opportunities for development

Cons

Hours are not family friendly

Terrible place to work

Working the the deli was like being back in high school. Favouritism, no positive reinforcement and management that breaks conduct. I worked there for a year I was shocked by the rudeness of the deli management and the levels of wastage produced everyday. We had the option to donate left over food on our scanners not once was it used. Not even for the fresh made sandwiches that got thrown out every night, because no one wanted to pay full price for them after they stopped reducing them. Because they were losing money, Countdown really doesn’t care about its employees.

Pros

Cons

Bad Management, Ridiculous workloads and little to no benefits other than 5% off shopping

Overall good Nice atmosphere.I like to work here

all goodStaff very co operative, atmosphere is friendly, all supportive.Homely and helping staff. Very much encourage people and manager. All kind of facility available in store, every one is good in behaviour, all are supportive.

Pros

yes tea, coffee, fruits, bread butter and jam provided

Cons

Yes you if you want more extra hours to work, you can

Fun place to work, staff are wonderful to work with,Nice and handy to where I live,

I like working at countdown.It's hard work most of the time esp around Xmas, but as a nightime supervisor I try to make it worthwhile for my staff.You can if need too, transfer to other countdowns

Pros

There is on occasion free food for staff, Staff discount on groceries always helps, Great group of people to work with always helps

Cons

Yes it can be long hours, but you can choose the hours you want and always plenty of overtime available

Always taken advantage of

Management refuse to hire new staff. Started with a large team but eventually everyone left to find somewhere better to work. Those who were still working there get taken advantage of and pressured to work even after saying no. Countdown do not value their staff. Management would always tell on you for the most minor reasons and put you down. Had several meetings organised by management bringing the team together saying we weren't performing well enough during peak Christmas time, where in fact we were, only for them to be sitting in the office on their phones doing absolutely nothing. Benefits and job advancement are non existent. Horrible place to work. I do not recommend working here.

Pros

Sometimes decent staff

Cons

Not valued, long hours, understaffed, bad management

Boring and long

Started working there in 2020 and it was fun for a while but now it’s boring and we all have to work in the same ale at a time when there’s about 4-5 people working including the flat deck with the stuff on it, there’s not enough room.

Pros

can be alright some nights

Cons

a very long 3-4 hours

Busy good bonuses.

After working for a year at Countdown you pay will becom the living wage $21.15. After 8 months of working there my lay went up 40 cents. Always extra hours laying around and can also learn and take opportunities in different departments.

Pros

Pay rise after a year

Cons

Busy work load

Stressful

Started as a alright job but each year just gets harder and harder. With hours being cut regularly your just expected to do more to cover it. They say safety is first but neglect the fact that reducing team makes it harder to remain safe. Polices get changed back and forth all depending on what manager you talk to.

Pros

Some stores put on free lunches everynow and then.

Cons

Expected to work like a slave and give up any free time on there whim.

Good people, Fun job

I wasn't too happy with the department I was working in and I found it difficult to switch to another department because there was no one available to take over my position. I found some of the workers to be quite rude at times but the majority were cool. It felt like I was apart of a family.

Pros

Good people, Free food in the break room, Chocolate gifts on Easter.

Cons

Long hours, Heavy lifting.

Good

I enjoyed my time working at CD and progressing my career. One downfall is if your store doesn't meet profit target store managers expect you to cut your hours below your contracted hours. There isn't any good benefits either, only 5% off when I was working there. Also if you work in a management role you are expected to work at least 1 weekend day which interferes with your social life if you are young. Opportunities for over time were good. And the pay doesn't add up. Being a 2IC you expect a higher wage then someone scanning food at the till considering all the extra work you do in a days work and your higher standing in the company but with the minimum wage constantly going up and noone else's salary going up to match that it makes it very disheartening, may aswell demote yourself do less work and basically get paid the same

Pros

Nice people to work with

Cons

Weekend work

Atmosphere

Countdown as Progressive group of companies, are very fair and trustful organizations. You will enjoy your day to day task and life balance . Dont hesitate your self to apply any role over here.

Pros

Free coffee or tea available

Cons

Depending on you normal hours or overtime

A very Friendly team . good atmosphere.

I have been working with countdown around 8-9 months.i feel amazing working with team.There was always something new to learn.vety helpful and supportive people.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

It's a very good super market

I want to work in countdown super market because it's a very good company, and I show the stuff are enjoy during their duty time to serve the customer.

Coutdown Papakura

Working as a Nightfill team member, gives you no real or true benefits. Always working under pressure having to stock the whole night and being put under pressure. Don't forget that you also have to break your back pulling a pallet jack with heavy stock sometimes alone halfway across the store during the starting of your shift. No safety equipment required by the company e.g.. safety boots and poor company management referring to this one store. Overall. Underpaid for the amount of work you do especially working nights

Cons

Long hours Sore after shift Underpay

Very good

It was fun working at cowntdown supermarket as i was supervisor i really enjoyed working with them good payrates nd my job was really very well over there

Pros

Good payrates

Cons

Stressful

n/a

Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed

Happy workplace which has table tennis table for recreation

Good bosses , good staff , happy environment , free breakfast provided , free tea and coffee get together at lunch ,milestone celebration with gift and lunch for staff

Hard workplace

Tiring and difficult working environment, hard labor. Generally, good people to work with but the overall workload is quite excessive compared to other places of work.

Easy Going

An easy going place to work, simple job with clear expectations but unfortunately under staffed so big work load. Paid well but was pushed to do more hours than I wanted to do so we could get the job done

Productive and fun work place

I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets