Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Pay & Benefits reviews

New Zealand308 reviews
n/a
Fast paced, standing for long periods of time in one spot is hard. Customer/staff interaction is good. Patience and a good sense of humour is definitely needed
Very good
It was fun working at cowntdown supermarket as i was supervisor i really enjoyed working with them good payrates nd my job was really very well over there
Pros
Good payrates
Cons
Stressful
Happy workplace which has table tennis table for recreation
Good bosses , good staff , happy environment , free breakfast provided , free tea and coffee get together at lunch ,milestone celebration with gift and lunch for staff
Hard workplace
Tiring and difficult working environment, hard labor. Generally, good people to work with but the overall workload is quite excessive compared to other places of work.
Easy Going
An easy going place to work, simple job with clear expectations but unfortunately under staffed so big work load. Paid well but was pushed to do more hours than I wanted to do so we could get the job done
Productive and fun work place
I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........
Decent pay for stacking shelves
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair.

My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself.

As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Great company to work for!
Great place to work if you're wanting to climb the ladder. Great leadership and training programs.

Fair wage, good team environment.

Team discount of 5% plus bonus places where we can use our team discount such as VTNZ, gyms, discounts on life insurance etc.
Pros
Fair wage, staff discounts
Cons
Terrible, unskilled Senior Management!
Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line!
I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Terrible senior management
General
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
All depends on managment
It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics
Great after school/weekend job for students
I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Not good for too hardworking employees
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.
It's fun and the workers kindly serve the customers
It is the best stores in New Zealand and I enjoy the service and everything about this store. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and I'll enjoy it too.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Good punch of people and environment
It was really good for me since it was my first job and they provide us good training and work experience. People are so friendly and helpful when I struggle or lost.
Pros
Get discount when you do your shopping
Cons
40 hours / week
Workplace
My duty includes to fill the load in my own department and keep the department tidy at all times. Do the face up of the products at all times. Stag the products nicely in the relevant cages.
Pros
free food for team
Cons
short shifts per day
Free lunch
I’m good working and hard working and friendly and face do face always on time and I got more experience and and I can work any department and make sure customers happy
Pros
Share lunch
Cons
Long hour
Great workplace
Good workplace great food based environment. Work based section has some faults but team work is needed to succeed to let the company move forward with better references.
Pros
Long breaks
Cons
Workers constantly being pressured to come to work without enough off days
tough, hardworking but enjoyable workplace
My experience at Countdown Pukekohe South has been both enjoyable and very tough.
Nearly every day i have to do overtime as there is so much to do in my shift and i have do it by myself.

Management is OK. I get on with them pretty well and as long as I do what needs to be done they're happy.

The workplace in the bakery at Countdown Pukekohe South is alright. We have good days and bad days at work but we get the job done.

The hardest part of the job is trying to do the huge work load we have in our hours as we all want to go home but we all know we need to get the job done.
The best part of the job is when we learn from the management that we beat the budget for the week and the year before because it tells us that for all the problems we have we are still doing a good job.
It was Alright
Loved working for a short period of time. Was really difficult to say no to hours when I had to put my studies first. Would hope to get back into working with Countdown again.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Having work over uni
A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.
It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.