Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Leilablackler
Countdown is a good and fair company to work for countdown have a good work environment nice staff members always give good instructions and always give you a fair go
It is a really best platform for learning something and i'm enjoying my work
I always want to be bright future in this company.
The main reason behind my enjoyment is the management of company and i'm learning new things every single day.

All staff members of my store are very friendly and helpful.
productive workplace
I learned great cleaning skills such as using a floor polisher and a scrubber etc. The workplace culture was pretty diversed which i liked. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting the job done most of all.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
early morning hours
Horrible workplace. Unprofessional management.
Horrible supervisors. Main management blows complaints under the table and acts as though nothing has happened. Very racist working environment. Supervisors make the work place a horrible environment and are extremely useless when I comes to taking up responsibility. Extremely lazy. Management is horrible. Several complaints have been made about a specific supervisor and the main boss says he knew nothing about it. The work environment is split into different cultures by the supervisor and make it an extremely uncomfortable workplace. Would not advise anyone to work as a Longlife assistant. I have left due to the horrible experience working there.
Pros
Some staff were supportive (1 person)
Cons
Unprofessional Supervisors managements, Horrible experience. Very racist working environment ( by supervisors/ management.)
A great place to work but salary was not worth the hard work and long hours I work for, and the amount of staff that I was in charge for.
It was a good company to work for if you're a people's person, the pay is not so good for looking after the department with the most staff in the store. I even worked longer hours and not getting paid for.
Work together as team
I love working together like team members and and learning more experience for future and be happy and keep smile do everyone at work and help for some one want your help i love share with someone if u don’t have lunch and work hard
Pros
Free 🥗
Cons
Work long hour
Fast paced and mostly fun
I loved almost everyday working in this store. It changed so much over the 7 years I worked there. Had many different Store Managers- while they were all very efficient store managers. The best by far, is the current one. Andrew Lethbridge. He runs his team with an open door and open personality. There is nothing you couldn't go to him about. He will always try his best to guide you, support and encourage you to give it your best. He certainly helped me to become who and where I am today.
Pros
All the team are very close and we've all become like family.
Cons
Cutting hours and short staffed
good place to wrok
i was there for three years and i thought i needed a change. so i went to ecostream after woods now im looking for new job that suits me and you wont be disspointed
Pros
sometimes free lunches
Cons
Friendly bunch of people to work with was respected and taken seriously
Working at countdown super market was a good job I had well I was at high school in Mosgiel NZ.
There I would restock the shielves, organise the crates as they arrived, crush cardboard and lots more.

After a year doing that I had the opportunity to be trained on the till. This meant that I gained extra shifts as I continued with being grocery boy as well as surving customers on the till.

Since then I have completed a National Certificate in carpentry and have been on the tools ever sinse I left school 6 years ago.
Pros
5% store discount, locked in shifts and on a contract
working in a supermarket
Was an enjoyable place to work, especially because of the people there. One of the few downsides was the repetition of the work and often unreasonable requests from higher up. Overall, was a nice place to work while studying.
Working at countdown is a good job to have especially if you want to be a permanent staff member it has a steady pay if you are not part time or casual.
Pros
Meeting awesome customers
Cons
rostered off when high school students have holidays
Would recommend if you are desperate
They will take advantage if you let them - i am rostered on for 28 hours a week but sometimes work 60 hours as they constantly want me to cover and will guilt me into doing it and try to force me by saying no one else can work and if i say no they get annoyed at me.

One of the departments i work in everyone is so catty both to me and each other, it's worse than high school and it is a horrible environment to be in. The other department is a lot nicer and i have friends there.

Pay is good and it is easy to pick up and drop hours if your circumstance changes.
awesome
i had a great time as countdown was my first paid job. i as a teenager enjoyed my working time at countdown, had a great work enviroment and just enjoyed the company of those working with me. unfortunately i left countdown because of family circumstances but would love the oppotunity to go back there and work again for any countdown, pak n save or any food store and retail store. because i enjoy working with customers and making everyone happy when they go shopping anywhere.
Pros
on time rosters and breaks
Cons
had to leave because of family circumstances
Overall my opinion
Countdown the valley was my very first experience in the work force. My personal opinion was that it wasnt a very friendly place to work, everyone was so judgmental, my work mates were never very nice or polite towards me. The only thing that put me off working there was the people. Hours were ok and pay was good, other than that I found a lot of the people who worked there very unfriendly.
Pros
Pay
Cons
The people that worked there
Great company to work for but run by muppets.
No help is given to those who ask for it and those who work hard are not appreciated. I always felt ignored and like I was just another number and not a employee.
excellent fun work place
really enjoyed was sad when I had to give it up The cost of day care and my husband hours getting cut made it not worth the travelling cost. I was paying more out than what I earned
Pros
happy place
Cons
was happy
Fun workplace
By far the best job worked at, co-workers we’re very kind and friendly. If made a mistake wasn’t judged, always given an opportunity to learn from mistake and work towards knowing how to handle situations. Customers weren’t all good but had a good team of support. Fun environment and enjoyed the pressure of a busy day.
Pros
Good team, friendly staff
Cons
Not enough hours, standing long periods of time
Good first job experience
It's been good working and gaining knowledge on how to deal with customers and people working with you. Downside is the management is not organised with stuffs shift and does not care about health and safety.
fun at work
i got to learn how to handle money using cash and eftpos cards. also i got to always meet all new customers, learning all types of products we have in the shop. how to be gentle with few products while packing in the bags.
Pros
staff ndiscounts
Cons
shift hours
Great place and environment
I enjoyed working there as they were very friendly and welcoming which made the working environment great to work in. The team was also helpful in the training for the role and was always willing to help whenever I had any queries about anything. Also the pay was great and enabled enough money to be saved up to ome to Auz.
Pros
lunch could be at anytime
Cons
Not enough hours
It lokks good to me because every time i go shopping at countdown it makes me wanna work there
I want to work in countdown because I love packing and unpacking stuff and also working with others and helping other people to find stuff what they looking for
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.