Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Leilablackler
Countdown is a good and fair company to work for countdown have a good work environment nice staff members always give good instructions and always give you a fair go
The benefits of Countdown are very good.
Countdown works hard to keep the employees safe and happy.
The workplace culture is friendly and typical of a supermarket.

Countdown gave me the opportunity to learn butchery and taught me a wide range of skills and gave me lots of experience with working with others.
Productive, physical, job
My day would normally start completing first delivery window and orders. Calling customers. Manage staff and any issues,
Fun work place, Hardest part. time line to complete different time windows orders to be 100% supplied can be channelling some times most enjoyable, been active, busy.
Pros
staff discount
Catty environment
Worked there as a teenager and it was horrible! One supervisor would tell you to do something a certain way and the other would suggest you do something completely different, I was expected to know everything when it'd been my first job ever as a checkout operator and co-workers would constantly gossip in front of me and customers, it was disgusting and they seriously need to learn basic HR. Overall, I'd say only had a handful of co-workers that were pleasant the 7 months I worked there.

I just remember 2 supervisors that worked there went out of their way to be completely textbook, narcissistic, sociopathic, headcases for no reason, the only reason I even gave the job a 2 star rating was cos I changed supervisors that was extremely nice to me.
Pros
Good hours, good pay (for a teenager), re-training, not having to deal with the same nightmarish supervisor everyday.
Cons
Extremely awful HR, bullying.
Countdown Dunedin Central - good productive busy, place
It is a good busy place to be working in. Meet lots of different people especially in cruise ship season. Always something to do, good environment to be in
Productive and friendly environment
management is awesome
learn may new things related to customer service

friendly environment

employees security is their first priority

good salary outcome
Pros
awesome enviornment
Cons
Working at countdown looks good for me
I am a year 11 at Ashburton college I would like to work at countdown because I like packing and unpacking stuff and also I like working with other people
very busy but good
I didn't work at countdown that long but the days I did work was really good. I enjoyed the days I did get to work learning is the best part. managers were good I think the hardest part was trying to learn all the veg and fruits but I got the hang of it in the end. the short time I worked their was a good experience for my next job.
Pros
got to learn the vegs and fruits
Cons
short shifts
fun work place
> always a challenge
> learnt something new everyday

> enjoyed working with a friendly team

most enjoyable part of the job was satisfying the customer an making a high standard for the department
There's never nothing to do.
Communication, preparing in advance, great customer skills, quick thinking, great eye contact, a beautiful smile are all key factors to a great day. Keeps management of your backside:).

The working environment is diverse and flexible if you have potential to advance, take the oppotunity presented.

The hardest part of the day is disgruntal, angry customers, remembering eye contact and empathy, not saying sorry but saying it in form of Empathy and trying not to swear because your honest.

Some Managers were on real power trips/ very amusing while, others were good teachers but all passionate about their jobs,

at the end of their day they got their work done. From start to fiinish was always enjoyable, there was never a dole moment.
Pros
5% Discount on your groceries
Cons
Standing long hours and disgruntal customers.
Fun and Ideal
This job was very ideal for me i am a bit overwhelmed at time and i was not too good at english at the time, but the people in the night fill team made me feel welcome and made it easy for me to do what what was needed to be done.
Overly worked for low income
This job is underpayed and not looked at enough, the amount of work that needs to be done under a deadline does not add up to the amount that you should of been payed, a lot of the time we only had 3 people to work the whole shop and management still required us to finish the load and to face up as well with vigorous loads, I don't know if this comes down to poor management or just pure laziness but this is a huge roll that needs to be recognised.
Pros
Can't say any
Cons
Not payed enough for the amount of work done
Fun place to work, friendly staff, good work environment.
Really good place to work for people looking for a their first job. Countdown Pay's well and give you the opportunity to move up to a higher position in the company. Staff are very nice and very accepting. Great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches, Good pay, opportunity to move to higher position in company.
Fast pace job
Being a checkout operator trains you to be fast and think quickly, because you need to know what product is coming next and know if it is suitable to put with different products.
Retailing
I loved my job at Countdown Super Market,I get to meet new people everyday, I do customer service and filling shelves and I worked at the Deli Service as well. I work really well with others and work as a team.
positive or negative feedback black board was helpful
Always challenging and rewarding meeting new people, I learnt a lot of new things for example gap scans, temperatures, meat caps, printing out gap scans on the computer, and a new way of the running in the deli.
Management were very helpful and mostly friendly.

The workplace was multi-cultural and fun.

The hardest part of the job for me was the cold freezer, and the enjoyable part was the cool staff.
Pros
now and then free lunches
Cons
not enough hours
Amazing workplace, Fun and kind community
Countdown, Vogletown,
This supermarket is an amazing environment for all ages and anybody with low work experience.

They have an exceptional community that is both fun and hard working.
Pros
Holiday Benefits
Cons
Over Time work
easy and fun
I worked in the deli, dealing with the cold foods.
I had to fill the cabinets, use the machines to cut and slice the ham and luncheon.

I used the oven, i put the chickens in, i wrapped and packaged them.

i served the customers with customer service.

The most enjoyable part was serving the customers.

The hardest part was dealing with the customer complaints.

I lest there as it was not enough hours.
Pros
serving the customers
Cons
customer complaints
Busy fun workplace
I started off as a checkout operator and worked myself up to checkout supervisor. I was in charge of opening the shop in the mornings, sorting out rosters, ordering products behind counter and loads of money handling. I loved this job i got to meet different customers everyday and make them happy with awsome customer services. But you do get the difficult customers too but thats my challenge try make each customer happy. Loved it
Cons
Early starts
Awesome workplace
Typical night would consist of dragging pallets out on the shop floor,dropping products down correct aisles and in a timely manner.Then break time,smoko, coffee, back on the shop floor opening boxes and filling shelves . Easy work , just requires physicality and the ability to be repetitive. Breaks were good, vibe was good, management awesome and made many friends :)
Pros
Good team mates, friends, and management and pay.
Cons
Physical, Repetitive
Productive and fun friendly atmosphere
Stocking shelves, helping customers. We learn new things all the time. Management is great at the moment depends on the managers you get. Culture is so diverse in our store. Meeting up with the bosses expectations. The most enjoyable things are the people I work with and when we can help a customer.
Pros
the people you work with
Cons
shortage of hours
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.