Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

New Zealand316 reviews
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
An easy going place to work, simple job with clear expectations but unfortunately under staffed so big work load. Paid well but was pushed to do more hours than I wanted to do so we could get the job done
Ā typical day was meet and greet customers keeping your area clean and putting groceries back on the shelf but I was offered to other jobs within the company when it was slow
Good staff to work with, friendly and helpful. Fairly unorganized company overall, stressful place to work if you like structure and routine. Hours can change from week to week.
Working in Countdown Supermarket in Nelson impressed me to deal with customer first priorities focus, highly attention to Health and safety issue and value of culture. and then abide by company policies.
was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time
Pros
managment treats over Christmas and New year
Cons
You really feel supported being a part of this team. The customers are usually friendly and you start to recognise the locals. Breaks were regular and there were always a large variety of lunch options to either buy in store, or walk up to the staff room and be treated to donuts, coffee and chips, etc.
I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........
As a student, was a great part time job, that was accessible, and also both challenging and carefree.
Staff are friendly and do their best to make it an enjoyable environment.
Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair.

My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself.

As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).
Pros
Long breaks, somewhat casual
Cons
Long hours, understaffing, rude management
Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at.
Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.
Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters.
The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction.

They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional.

They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior.

Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.
It was a good job but most time there were a lot of things that could have been better. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a really friendly team members to work and get along with.
A good family/ team environment to work in.
My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness.

A fun team to work with as well.

Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management.

Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave.

Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.
I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.
Friendly nature and I have to improve my skills .it s a busiest store but good culture and environment .people very friendly and help full person.they giving me good suggestion and good knowledge. That's useful for my future
From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.
The time spent working with Countdown was a really cool experience, getting the hang of the work wasn't hard at all, and the staff were very supportive and helpful with everything.
In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.
since I have been working at countdown I have learned a lot about customer service and have managed to create and have conversations with strangers easier than before. The hardest part of the job is when all the customers come into shop and there is not enough people on checkout but we manage to get through it professionally. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and be able to make peoples day by talking to them and seeing how they are.
It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked