Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Busy good bonuses.

After working for a year at Countdown you pay will becom the living wage $21.15. After 8 months of working there my lay went up 40 cents. Always extra hours laying around and can also learn and take opportunities in different departments.

Pros

Pay rise after a year

Cons

Busy work load

Easy Going

An easy going place to work, simple job with clear expectations but unfortunately under staffed so big work load. Paid well but was pushed to do more hours than I wanted to do so we could get the job done

Typical day

Ā typical day was meet and greet customers keeping your area clean and putting groceries back on the shelf but I was offered to other jobs within the company when it was slow

Good if your desperate for a job, otherwise I wouldn't recommend.

Good staff to work with, friendly and helpful. Fairly unorganized company overall, stressful place to work if you like structure and routine. Hours can change from week to week.

Books and News paper

Working in Countdown Supermarket in Nelson impressed me to deal with customer first priorities focus, highly attention to Health and safety issue and value of culture. and then abide by company policies.

longlife assistant

was working night shifts... so job must be done , clean and tidy before customers came in.,Everyone work in a team to get everything done, and there nice atmosphere night time

Pros

managment treats over Christmas and New year

Productive and fun workplace

You really feel supported being a part of this team. The customers are usually friendly and you start to recognise the locals. Breaks were regular and there were always a large variety of lunch options to either buy in store, or walk up to the staff room and be treated to donuts, coffee and chips, etc.

Productive and fun work place

I enjoy working at countdown as it is a fun workplace environment where the people are pleasant to be around, and the benefits are adequate...........

Overall Good

As a student, was a great part time job, that was accessible, and also both challenging and carefree. Staff are friendly and do their best to make it an enjoyable environment.

Decent pay for stacking shelves

Stacking shelves is a fairly easy and stress-free job. My coworkers are nice and helpful, although management is a different story. My manager has a tendency to exhibit rude and unforgiving behaviour towards their underlings. Pay is just above minimum wage, which, for the job, is pretty fair. My typical work day is long and monotonous, although I go home knowing that I have been productive. There are long (15 and 30 minute) breaks, although they are quite limited for the amount of time spent working. The hardest part of the job is the treatment by management (at least for me), and the most enjoyable is the job itself. As far as a high school job or basic part-time job goes, being a Longlife Assistant at Countdown is pretty decent (if you have the resilience to deal with management).

Pros

Long breaks, somewhat casual

Cons

Long hours, understaffing, rude management

Jobs at Countdown NZ Supermarkets

See more jobs

Toxic and Unpleasant work environment

Countdown Warkworth was the worst place I have ever worked at. Toxic culture created by the management including subtle encourage of bullying by the store manager.

Average

Place is great to work if you enjoy working supermarkets I believe it is perfect for those looking at part time, full time and casual pay is pretty good no major complaints

Productive workplace

Very welcoming and nice people. Learned valuable life skills in negotiating and how to deal with different types of people. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with customers. The hardest part of the job was the long hours, but was worth it!

Immature yet challenging

Multiple side eyes, "warnings" other workers kept giving just by asking for help, backstabbing high school-like drama, dysfunctional work rosters. The Managers and nearly every worker seem to have a problem with every new worker, they also don’t even give you a proper introduction. They seem to hang around in packs just to gossip, they have foul mouths and very unprofessional. They need to realise that this isn’t Gucci or Sky City and think they’re so superior. Work value sucks also. Learn about respect , equality and humbleness.

It was a good job but most time there were a lot of things that could have been better. The most enjoyable part of the job was having a really friendly team members to work and get along with.

A good/fun store to work in.

A good family/ team environment to work in. My store was very supportive when family matters came up, or sickness. A fun team to work with as well. Hardest part of job was a lack of staff even after endless attempts were made to area management. Some staff were put under enormous pressure resulting with them having to leave. Staff were employed to do a couple of tasks but would be expected to carry out up to 5 in one day.

Loved working here good environment good people.

I personally loved working at countdown as a checkout operator. Friendly team to work alongside. Really brought me out of my shell as I use to be very shy. Learnt a lot of good skills.

Good company

Friendly nature and I have to improve my skills .it s a busiest store but good culture and environment .people very friendly and help full person.they giving me good suggestion and good knowledge. That's useful for my future

Okay workplace, not great, not terrible

From my personal experience, the environment is generally okay. The stressful and relaxed aspect changes drastically depending on which days and times you work.

Supportive and Productive experience

The time spent working with Countdown was a really cool experience, getting the hang of the work wasn't hard at all, and the staff were very supportive and helpful with everything.

Can be very "high school"

In my own experience working for Countdown there is a bullying nature that starts from management and works its way down. If you are not seen as one of the clique then there is no advancement for you especially if that was promised. Those promises are a way to keep you there and never fulfilling your own personal goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets