Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

New Zealand316 reviews
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Great place to work if you're wanting to climb the ladder. Great leadership and training programs.

Fair wage, good team environment.

Team discount of 5% plus bonus places where we can use our team discount such as VTNZ, gyms, discounts on life insurance etc.
Pros
Fair wage, staff discounts
Cons
The staff are nice and friendly. Multi cultured environment. On a typical day at work i start at 9am and get on with my tasks, greet and interact with customers through the day. I have learned a lot more about retail business, the products they sell and some of the laws that applies to the company and the consumers. I enjoy interacting with people the most and the hardest part of the job is dealing with customers goes mental when they are shopping.
Pros
Free hot drinks and breakfast (cereals), smoko area is tidy
I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.
Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line!
I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Terrible senior management
You have to push yourself forward but if you have Department Managers that only believe in themselves you wont get anywhere. It depends on each Store, if your lucky to get a Store Manager who encourages his/her team to excel then your in a good Store. If your in a Store that the Manager that has already chosen his specific team then your stuffed UNLESS you fight it and go over his head
Wsge wise, very good but make sure you get paid for your value and check every week

There will be drama at all stores, you have to choose to ignore it or be among it
Pros
Good wage. Can meet long life friends. In the right store awesome encouragement
Cons
Drama, Self absorbed Dept Managers, gossip, hours can be weird
I was casual and hardly given any shifts, people that started working there after me were offered permanent shifts.
Certain people were allowed on certain (easy tills).

Didn't feel welcomed at all.

Would never go back there or the company ever again.
Pros
Nothing I can think of
Cons
Too many
Days at work started in the cash office doing shop set up & pay roll and would continue on the shop floor doing customer service, checkouts & lotto Having worked across all areas in the shop from office, floor work, supervising checkouts and working as a Duty Manager I always had diversity in my work day
Pros
always something new to learn
Cons
My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.
Pros
Challenging job have to hit targets
Cons
I am happy working for countdown bakery department. Countdown progressive company gave a good opportunities for working bakery department
and learning how to make bread and cakes, muffins and also good customer services as well. Always nice and tidy up for bakery department and shop too. Log on and off on time. Be quickly and also be polite for the stuff and the customers everytime. Listen very carefully when people say to me.

I would like to move on Auckland next. Keep working bakery department because I will move to Auckland with my family next month.
Pros
Free coffee and tea
Cons
Flexible hours
Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.
Pros
Salary
Cons
some days were longer than others
Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.
Pros
5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter
Cons
Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.
I most enjoyed my co workers as they were very helpful and I can confidently say at the end of the day I’m left feelings more positive than I did coming in.
A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
didnt agree with my migraines at the time
It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Politics
Have no issues with Countdown, good and fun place to work , customers focus alot of training for Management staff , also individual training for your team. we try and go out and do alot for the community, fundraising, sausage sizzle . also social event for team to relax outside of work. Employee of the month awards and saftey hero of the month awards , also long service awards and lunch to staff
Pros
great team morale, customers focus
Cons
long hours, no staff
very busy environment to work in makes it fun for me when im busy k
love my job its fun to interact with customers it is tough at times by I managed.

Management was okay but could improve
Pros
shift suited my timetable with school
Cons
low pay rate
I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.
Pros
Great salary
Cons
Long hours and short breaks
Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.
Cons
Gossips and catty environment
Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had.
Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.
Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.
Pros
free food, good salary
Cons
ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.