Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

New Zealand316 reviews
Love the job and some of the staff, management ok to talk to but talking went in one ear out the other. Meet alot of different nationalities some interesting stories that they have and places they ha e been
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
the hardest job i had on a typical day was to keep customers happy and also the team happy and making sure your day ends good. the most important part is to keep yourself happy and to know you had a good or bad day at work.
Pros
breaks
Friendly working environment
Great customer interaction

Did not use any of my skills and found it not to satisfy my need to work in a area where I could use my skills
Pros
Informal environment
Cons
no challanges
easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.
It is the best stores in New Zealand and I enjoy the service and everything about this store. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and I'll enjoy it too.
Pros
Salary
Cons
I enjoyed working with customers and being around people who truly care for the needs of the customers was amazing. I learnt a lot such as the importance of store policies and the fundamental aspects of laws in New Zealand that has to do with cigarettes and alcohol. Maintaining a great working ethic was a norm and being able to be confident in my job taught me to be bold and meet targets. The thing i most enjoyed about my job was those I worked with at checkouts and how we were a family who truly cared for one another and just enjoyed working together.
Pros
Great team
Good staff repetitive easy work and nice pay. Break times were fair and work was easy to get into just be fast as soon as you get into the job because the supervisor wants you to finish things as fast as you can so that by 6.30 the store will be ready for customers.
Pros
Nice Pay, Good working environment, Easy work
Cons
Boring and Repetetive
When I first started I would just go into the store and start restocking shelves.
After time I was given a position as storeperson.

Check all Inward goods, unload trucks.

Load trolleys for workers to restock shelves.

There was some heavy lifting but I didn't mind.

Check temperatures in Chiller and Freezer rooms in storeroom.

Help stock shelves in store.

I learned how to use an RF scanner became computer illiterate, also gained my F Endorsed forklift licence.

The hardest part of the job was when I first started I had a problem with heights but overcame this in time.

The most enjoyable was interacting with customers.
Pros
Interacting with customers.
Cons
A small amount of heavy lifting.
had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.
The people were mostly fantastic to work with and the work itself was straight forward, fast-paced and mostly easy to complete.

I really liked that they offered the chance to take further courses to gain certificates and improve yourself. On top of this they also have other services to help their employees through life. I really feel they were fantastic in the way they looked after their employees.

Though they had wonderful opportunities I think some of the management could have been more supportive and on the ball as sometimes the lack of decisions or support from them affected the success of the job.
Pros
Staff discounts, free staff lunches on occasions, other services offered
Cons
Lack of staff
A day's work contained support from the team members throughout the whole store, especially during peak hours.
As a checkout operator, checkouts is a prioritised department during peak hours and every time we were overwhelmed with customers we were backed up by most of the store employees. The management team did what they can and ensure that we were working in the most efficient way while make sure we were fine to work. Overall Countdown provided experience that would be essential for future work.
Pros
Lovely team work
Cons
Shift times were unclear sometimes
the most enjoyable part of the job is facing and getting a full face up. the hardest part of the job is filling a isle on your own in under a hour with a big load.
Pros
getting a full face up
Cons
not enough hours
Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s.
Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism
Pros
Harassing managers, no respect
Cons
A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.
Pros
often free food upstairs
Cons
understaffed
Terrible Middle Management.
Sweep customer complaints under the rug.

Monopoly attitude. Customers dont really matter because they "have to shop with us"
Pros
'Nothing
Cons
Casual contracts - made replaceable at any given moment.
Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.
Pros
Meet some truly amazing people.
Cons
Not enough hours and terrible management
Countdown was fun and gave me alot of experience within the woolworths range. Helped provide income on a weekly basis, the environment was productive and energizing to work in.
It was really good for me since it was my first job and they provide us good training and work experience. People are so friendly and helpful when I struggle or lost.
Pros
Get discount when you do your shopping
Cons
40 hours / week
issues with fairness and how situations are handled by senior staff.
being spoken down to by senior staff as if our job doesnt matter, being asked to do jobs on top of usual work and expected to complete them but wont be paid if we work past contracted hours.
My duty includes to fill the load in my own department and keep the department tidy at all times. Do the face up of the products at all times. Stag the products nicely in the relevant cages.
Pros
free food for team
Cons
short shifts per day
From my previous experience in Countdown I felt it added growth to my personal and professional development. As a checkout operator we are constantly engaging and interacting with customers, which aids in enhancing ones leadership qualities, confidence, communication skills, ability to build and maintain friendly, warm relationships or networks to name a few. My time and experience has served as a solid foundation for progression into more advanced roles. The hardest part is dealing with rude customers, however I remain calm and still show love and kindness because I strive to put the needs of others before myself in my work and outside of work. The most enjoyable part is being apart of a positive team culture where you can be yourself, feel valued and establish and maintain relationships with customers and colleagues. It would be a great honor to be a part of a team like countdowns again.
Pros
Relationships and Free food
Cons
Standing for long shifts