Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Busy good bonuses.

After working for a year at Countdown you pay will becom the living wage $21.15. After 8 months of working there my lay went up 40 cents. Always extra hours laying around and can also learn and take opportunities in different departments.

Pros

Pay rise after a year

Cons

Busy work load

fun workplace

since I have been working at countdown I have learned a lot about customer service and have managed to create and have conversations with strangers easier than before. The hardest part of the job is when all the customers come into shop and there is not enough people on checkout but we manage to get through it professionally. The most enjoyable part of this job is being able to meet new people and be able to make peoples day by talking to them and seeing how they are.

productive and fun workplace

It fun workplace you meet new team member or customer if your working in day shift job but sometimes management skill pretty low not enough staff to cover the shift and it hard for manager and team member to finish the job on time.What i have learned over past 4 yrs it that do best as you can to finish the job. sometime when i was supervisor for night-fill always prepare and think of plan when i start work and every plan worked

Great company to work for!

Great place to work if you're wanting to climb the ladder. Great leadership and training programs. Fair wage, good team environment. Team discount of 5% plus bonus places where we can use our team discount such as VTNZ, gyms, discounts on life insurance etc.

Pros

Fair wage, staff discounts

Good working environment

The staff are nice and friendly. Multi cultured environment. On a typical day at work i start at 9am and get on with my tasks, greet and interact with customers through the day. I have learned a lot more about retail business, the products they sell and some of the laws that applies to the company and the consumers. I enjoy interacting with people the most and the hardest part of the job is dealing with customers goes mental when they are shopping.

Pros

Free hot drinks and breakfast (cereals), smoko area is tidy

They lack in communication. Always short staffed.

I think countdown lacks in actually caring about their staff and management is poor. Always short staffed. Expect you to work longer because they are short staffed but won’t actually give you more permanent hours. They have terrible communication throughout the company. They make personal issues come into the work environment when they shouldn’t.they don’t keep to their word offe you hours and then say they can’t give them to you.

Terrible, unskilled Senior Management!

Under the current 2019 regime, many senior managers (and I'm talking GMs here) are clearly out of their depth and have no idea what they are doing. The company is undergoing massive change and all they want are "Yes Men" (and Women). There is no encouragement for loyalty or actual ability to do your job capably - just to tow the line! I would NOT recommend working in the Support Office for at least another 18-24 months, until this MD moves on, along with her team of sycophants

Pros

Good salary and benefits

Cons

Terrible senior management

Work

You have to push yourself forward but if you have Department Managers that only believe in themselves you wont get anywhere. It depends on each Store, if your lucky to get a Store Manager who encourages his/her team to excel then your in a good Store. If your in a Store that the Manager that has already chosen his specific team then your stuffed UNLESS you fight it and go over his head Wsge wise, very good but make sure you get paid for your value and check every week There will be drama at all stores, you have to choose to ignore it or be among it

Pros

Good wage. Can meet long life friends. In the right store awesome encouragement

Cons

Drama, Self absorbed Dept Managers, gossip, hours can be weird

Never again

I was casual and hardly given any shifts, people that started working there after me were offered permanent shifts. Certain people were allowed on certain (easy tills). Didn't feel welcomed at all. Would never go back there or the company ever again.

Pros

Nothing I can think of

Cons

Too many

Fun and enjoying work place

Being a Check out Operator - there were many perks, all your co-workers were around the same age. This made the environment a fun and enjoyable experience. the management team were lovely, they would always give us feedback form in order for them to improve and would always offer to help if we needed. I was checkout operator of the year five months in a row, this boosted my confidence in this job immensely and encouraged myself to carry on. - the only reason I left is that I had to leave in order to go to university in Dunedin

Pros

good company

Jobs at Countdown NZ Supermarkets

See more jobs

work place always offers challenge

Days at work started in the cash office doing shop set up & pay roll and would continue on the shop floor doing customer service, checkouts & lotto Having worked across all areas in the shop from office, floor work, supervising checkouts and working as a Duty Manager I always had diversity in my work day

Pros

always something new to learn

Productive and fun workplace

My typical day of being an online assistant at Countdown was i would clock in and get my trolley ready get my crates and print out my order label and get my scanner gun and then go collect the items for the order and pack and label the bags as follows chiller, frozen and grocery. Then print an invoice for the order and put them in the crate ready for delievery or pick up.

Pros

Challenging job have to hit targets

Cons

Productive and good team work

I am happy working for countdown bakery department. Countdown progressive company gave a good opportunities for working bakery department and learning how to make bread and cakes, muffins and also good customer services as well. Always nice and tidy up for bakery department and shop too. Log on and off on time. Be quickly and also be polite for the stuff and the customers everytime. Listen very carefully when people say to me. I would like to move on Auckland next. Keep working bakery department because I will move to Auckland with my family next month.

Pros

Free coffee and tea

Cons

Flexible hours

General

Countdown is a great place to start off the working life. The staff and management team are all super friendly and easy to get along with. They gave lots of opportunities to try different departments.

Pros

Salary

Cons

some days were longer than others

Was ok But Managers Screwed Up

Co Workers were great, but we had some bad store managers who promised things and never delivered, it's all about pleasing the big boss and the little guys that do all the manual work no one cares about.

Pros

5% of grocerys, Shouts when people left, and Xmas/Easter

Cons

Bad Managers, Unnessecary Changes Which Made Things Worse.

Very nice when workplace with positive people.

I most enjoyed my co workers as they were very helpful and I can confidently say at the end of the day I’m left feelings more positive than I did coming in.

Was an interesting experience

A typical day at work started at 0700 in the Delicatessan and helping start it up from the beginning of the day. I was also one of the workers that was one of the originals who was there the first day it opened. Management was extremely regular and training was sometimes forgotten. I learned a great deal about customer service but found the managerial staff to be lacking in my department. The hardest part of the job was being available due to my migrianes and the most enjoyable part of the job was working my own hours.

Pros

meeting new people

Cons

didnt agree with my migraines at the time

All depends on managment

It’s all depends on managment . If manager is greedy wanna make commission Then good luck guys . To much politics . Salary is kind of ok but to much stress n no body appreciate ur work

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Politics

good place to work

Have no issues with Countdown, good and fun place to work , customers focus alot of training for Management staff , also individual training for your team. we try and go out and do alot for the community, fundraising, sausage sizzle . also social event for team to relax outside of work. Employee of the month awards and saftey hero of the month awards , also long service awards and lunch to staff

Pros

great team morale, customers focus

Cons

long hours, no staff

fun place to work

very busy environment to work in makes it fun for me when im busy k love my job its fun to interact with customers it is tough at times by I managed. Management was okay but could improve

Pros

shift suited my timetable with school

Cons

low pay rate

Great after school/weekend job for students

I worked at Countdown Cambridge on checkouts for over a year (about 15 months) before deciding I wanted to try something new. The environment was mostly friendly which motivated me to work there for so long. The pay was exceptional, especially for a student, and I was able to buy my first car with the money I earned. A typical day would consist of serving customers, cashing out tills, manoeuvring trolleys, taking out the rubbish and other odd jobs. In this job i learned patience, how to engage with customers, how to handle money and get the most out of my job. The hardest part of my job was probably standing on my feel for 6 hours a shift. The most enjoyable part was learning about customers' lives and different experiences, and being able to earn my own money.

Pros

Great salary

Cons

Long hours and short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?