Countdown NZ Supermarkets
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Countdown NZ Supermarkets Employee Reviews

3.6Work–Life Balance

Busy good bonuses.

After working for a year at Countdown you pay will becom the living wage $21.15. After 8 months of working there my lay went up 40 cents. Always extra hours laying around and can also learn and take opportunities in different departments.

Pros

Pay rise after a year

Cons

Busy work load

Too much gossip and catty staff

Staff who gossip way too much in front of customers too which is very unprofessional. Management aren't any better. I've only met a few good people while working here.

Cons

Gossips and catty environment

Enjoyable work place

Usually very full on and busy, filled with lots of cheery faces, which made the overall experience more fun. Always happy to take on other shifts when needed and management were always open to feedback and queries we had. Least enjoyable part was doing the trolleys and bins as it is the responsibility of the checkout operators.

Not good for too hardworking employees

Hardworking employees don't matter to them. They are more like talking and gossiping not doing their job, especially in Papatoetoe branch. Heard employees there and I think there are two ladies has been harassed. The store manager did respond professionally but most of their employees are irresponsible and do nothing but talking and cursing a lot. Not recommend to work there if you are too hardworking - they will bully you. Not talk too much too focusing on work - they will still snub and bullying you. Late is normal to them. Very disappointed to work there.

Pros

free food, good salary

Cons

ignoring hardworking employees and harassment cases.

okay

the hardest job i had on a typical day was to keep customers happy and also the team happy and making sure your day ends good. the most important part is to keep yourself happy and to know you had a good or bad day at work.

Pros

breaks

Friendly working environment

Friendly working environment Great customer interaction Did not use any of my skills and found it not to satisfy my need to work in a area where I could use my skills

Pros

Informal environment

Cons

no challanges

productive

easy to work with good at handling things under pressure. easy to get along with other workers. management team has a way of understanding employeess.

It's fun and the workers kindly serve the customers

It is the best stores in New Zealand and I enjoy the service and everything about this store. The atmosphere is quite enjoyable and I'll enjoy it too.

Pros

Salary

Cons

Great team and great environment

I enjoyed working with customers and being around people who truly care for the needs of the customers was amazing. I learnt a lot such as the importance of store policies and the fundamental aspects of laws in New Zealand that has to do with cigarettes and alcohol. Maintaining a great working ethic was a norm and being able to be confident in my job taught me to be bold and meet targets. The thing i most enjoyed about my job was those I worked with at checkouts and how we were a family who truly cared for one another and just enjoyed working together.

Pros

Great team

Receptive Work

Good staff repetitive easy work and nice pay. Break times were fair and work was easy to get into just be fast as soon as you get into the job because the supervisor wants you to finish things as fast as you can so that by 6.30 the store will be ready for customers.

Pros

Nice Pay, Good working environment, Easy work

Cons

Boring and Repetetive

Jobs at Countdown NZ Supermarkets

See more jobs

Enjoyable place to work.

When I first started I would just go into the store and start restocking shelves. After time I was given a position as storeperson. Check all Inward goods, unload trucks. Load trolleys for workers to restock shelves. There was some heavy lifting but I didn't mind. Check temperatures in Chiller and Freezer rooms in storeroom. Help stock shelves in store. I learned how to use an RF scanner became computer illiterate, also gained my F Endorsed forklift licence. The hardest part of the job was when I first started I had a problem with heights but overcame this in time. The most enjoyable was interacting with customers.

Pros

Interacting with customers.

Cons

A small amount of heavy lifting.

nice environment, friendly and easy going staff, great job

had the best time ever running the meat/seafood department.My staff were awesome, I trained them to know the job as I did and we ran a very clean organised department following policies and procedures both company and health and safety to the letter. We were always busy but well time managed and had a lot of fun. Best job ever and made some awesome long lasting friendships.Also had a great mentor to help me when I did my management training which was great.

Fast-Paced and fun work place

The people were mostly fantastic to work with and the work itself was straight forward, fast-paced and mostly easy to complete. I really liked that they offered the chance to take further courses to gain certificates and improve yourself. On top of this they also have other services to help their employees through life. I really feel they were fantastic in the way they looked after their employees. Though they had wonderful opportunities I think some of the management could have been more supportive and on the ball as sometimes the lack of decisions or support from them affected the success of the job.

Pros

Staff discounts, free staff lunches on occasions, other services offered

Cons

Lack of staff

Productive and easy-going workplace

A day's work contained support from the team members throughout the whole store, especially during peak hours. As a checkout operator, checkouts is a prioritised department during peak hours and every time we were overwhelmed with customers we were backed up by most of the store employees. The management team did what they can and ensure that we were working in the most efficient way while make sure we were fine to work. Overall Countdown provided experience that would be essential for future work.

Pros

Lovely team work

Cons

Shift times were unclear sometimes

fast paced

the most enjoyable part of the job is facing and getting a full face up. the hardest part of the job is filling a isle on your own in under a hour with a big load.

Pros

getting a full face up

Cons

not enough hours

Department manager with lack of knowledge . Can't manage putting pressure on team making team stay after 6:30 even after they finish their shift

Lack of experienced people . broken equipment s like. Flatdeck , pallet jack forcing employee s to work using broken equipment s. Force employee s to stay after 6:30 even they finish their grave yard shift. Racism , high favourism

Pros

Harassing managers, no respect

productive but dramatic workplace

A typical day at work is usually pretty busy, overworking and usually in a rush as management refuses to hire new checkout staff for our constantly growing countdown. The problem with my job is it often gets me down due to so much unnecessary drama and gossip that goes around.

Pros

often free food upstairs

Cons

understaffed

Terrible Middle Management

Terrible Middle Management. Sweep customer complaints under the rug. Monopoly attitude. Customers dont really matter because they "have to shop with us"

Pros

'Nothing

Cons

Casual contracts - made replaceable at any given moment.

Ups and downs, ups dont outweigh the downs so i have to leave

Terrible management who don't listen to anyone when they ask for more hours and just continue hiring more people even though their staff keeps resigning because they are not getting given enough hours to live.

Pros

Meet some truly amazing people.

Cons

Not enough hours and terrible management

Energizing, productive

Countdown was fun and gave me alot of experience within the woolworths range. Helped provide income on a weekly basis, the environment was productive and energizing to work in.

Good punch of people and environment

It was really good for me since it was my first job and they provide us good training and work experience. People are so friendly and helpful when I struggle or lost.

Pros

Get discount when you do your shopping

Cons

40 hours / week

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Countdown NZ Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Countdown NZ Supermarkets