Datacom
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Datacom Employee Reviews

New Zealand14 reviews
Datacom had a diverse variety of clients. Government, local government and private sector. The software developed and used was very diverse. Datacom attracted people from all backgrounds.
great range of technologies to work on, but management is a total let down. does not take their staff well being into consideration. quite happy to throw their staff under the bus. total lack of soft processes. not very innovative when it comes to processes. Datacom has lost it's focus and "family" feel.
Nice place to work and they also now grow the individual depending on the interest and career path one wants to take. There will always be challenges but which company does not have it.
As a member of SMG (server management group) I was involved in a Day to Day BAU operations. I was looking after a several customers - monitoring server environment and implementing new changes. Sometimes I had to go "on-site" to resolve a server or desktop related issues.
I had to take this company to the employment court for wrongful dismissal and won. Before that the project went for two months from inception with very little happening. They used a tool called Mule for Java web-service ᴀᴘɪs, Mules are infertile.
Datacom should spend less money on big flashy buildings at the Auckland viaduct, and more on training their staff.
I was touted as a Subject Matter Expert for a particular technology. I was regularly called upon to front complex Project activities, involving hundreds of thousands of $s. This involved customer facing exchanges, and meeting various senior Company IT Management.

I was portrayed and charged out as an SME, but Datacom would not invest a single penny in my education and training to ensure that i was well capable of fulfilling the role. In essence i was a fraud, and should never have been placed in such a predicament. This despite repeated protestations.

This brought about much stress and angst. They want the moola but they dont want to speculate to accumulate.
Pros
Work lifestyle
Cons
Useless managers lack of training
The environment was sometimes very stressfull or relaxful. I have learnt what its like being a work envirnment from a young age.People are very frendly
Pros
People there are very fri.endly since they were making our app they did what we asked for
Cons
Sometime we would have to be there for longer that we were suppose to be there for.
Flexible work timing, Can work in different domains, can learn new technologies. Free fruits everyday, encourages training and development, good management policies
Pros
Free fruits everyday, flexible work timing, provide training
Datacom allows you to be autonomous and do what you are best at every day.
Colleagues are great and the there is a lot of autonomy and challenge.
Excellent great company for Information Technology.
I loved working at Datacom as an Engineer The culture is wonderful and the in-office perks are cool. From my experience on the Engineering team, I can see that there are lots of opportunities for growth!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Na
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Datacom?
I worked mainly with a small team doing a lot of roll-outs and system imaging. Datacom is a Fantastic company to work for i hope in the future i could get a full time contract.
Typical day was started with contacting customers to arrange times for repairs,then organising into the day routine.
I would greet customers and discuss what was wrong ,LISTEN to the customer and then repair the faults.explaining to the customer what i had done and if any other work was required,

at this time i would order more parts or close the call

Parts were then returned to logistics at the end of the day.

learned how to treat difficult people.

how to organise my day.

a feeling of doing a job well

my co workers were a great bunch , helpful,friendly , and social

the hardest part of the job was stopping for a break, was full on

i found job satisfaction for a completed happy customer, the great people i worked with and of course the pay
Varied jobs and organisations which makes it interesting.
Pros
Heavily subsidised health care for the employee and their family, 37.5 hour weeks, family comes first
Cons
Can't think of any
During my work at Datacom, I learned more on how to be independent. It is "help yourself" culture. Typical day at work is very busy because of high demand from the clients. Each day has its own pressure whether from peers or clients.
Working with my co-workers was a challenging experienced. Hardest part of the job was to lead a small group of individuals and at the same time accomplishing my own tasks.

Most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with their clients.
Pros
Free drinks and snacks during friday
Cons
No Human Resouce Department