Datacom

Datacom Employee Reviews

great place technology wise, terrrible management
sys admin (Current Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington23 September 2019
great range of technologies to work on, but management is a total let down. does not take their staff well being into consideration. quite happy to throw their staff under the bus. total lack of soft processes. not very innovative when it comes to processes. Datacom has lost it's focus and "family" feel.
Productive and busy environment
Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland2 October 2018
As a member of SMG (server management group) I was involved in a Day to Day BAU operations. I was looking after a several customers - monitoring server environment and implementing new changes. Sometimes I had to go "on-site" to resolve a server or desktop related issues.
Wrongful dismissal
Technical Lead (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington23 July 2018
I had to take this company to the employment court for wrongful dismissal and won. Before that the project went for two months from inception with very little happening. They used a tool called Mule for Java web-service ᴀᴘɪs, Mules are infertile.
Most useless, incompetent managers i have ever had the misfortune of working with.
Senior Consultant (Former Employee) –  Auckland7 February 2018
Datacom should spend less money on big flashy buildings at the Auckland viaduct, and more on training their staff.
I was touted as a Subject Matter Expert for a particular technology. I was regularly called upon to front complex Project activities, involving hundreds of thousands of $s. This involved customer facing exchanges, and meeting various senior Company IT Management.
I was portrayed and charged out as an SME, but Datacom would not invest a single penny in my education and training to ensure that i was well capable of fulfilling the role. In essence i was a fraud, and should never have been placed in such a predicament. This despite repeated protestations.
This brought about much stress and angst. They want the moola but they dont want to speculate to accumulate.
Pros
Work lifestyle
Cons
Useless managers lack of training
Its a stressful place to work but people there are very nice
Job experience (Former Employee) –  Wellington City, Wellington14 December 2017
The environment was sometimes very stressfull or relaxful. I have learnt what its like being a work envirnment from a young age.People are very frendly
Pros
People there are very fri.endly since they were making our app they did what we asked for
Cons
Sometime we would have to be there for longer that we were suppose to be there for.
Productive and fun workplace
Senior Test Analyst/Lead (Current Employee) –  Wellington, Wellington28 July 2016
Flexible work timing, Can work in different domains, can learn new technologies. Free fruits everyday, encourages training and development, good management policies
Pros
Free fruits everyday, flexible work timing, provide training
Unique environment with great opportunities for advancement and challenge
Learning and Development Manager (Current Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland1 March 2016
Datacom allows you to be autonomous and do what you are best at every day.
Colleagues are great and the there is a lot of autonomy and challenge.
Excellent Company
SYSTEMS ENGINEER (contractor) (Former Employee) –  Auckland23 February 2016
Excellent great company for Information Technology.
I loved working at Datacom as an Engineer The culture is wonderful and the in-office perks are cool. From my experience on the Engineering team, I can see that there are lots of opportunities for growth!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Na
Contract
Network Service Engineer (Former Employee) –  Wellington23 September 2015
I worked mainly with a small team doing a lot of roll-outs and system imaging. Datacom is a Fantastic company to work for i hope in the future i could get a full time contract.
Great team
Field Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland NZ15 September 2014
Typical day was started with contacting customers to arrange times for repairs,then organising into the day routine.
I would greet customers and discuss what was wrong ,LISTEN to the customer and then repair the faults.explaining to the customer what i had done and if any other work was required,
at this time i would order more parts or close the call
Parts were then returned to logistics at the end of the day.
learned how to treat difficult people.
how to organise my day.
a feeling of doing a job well
my co workers were a great bunch , helpful,friendly , and social
the hardest part of the job was stopping for a break, was full on
i found job satisfaction for a completed happy customer, the great people i worked with and of course the pay
A good organisation to work for
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Wellington10 September 2014
Varied jobs and organisations which makes it interesting.
Pros
Heavily subsidised health care for the employee and their family, 37.5 hour weeks, family comes first
Cons
Can't think of any
Datacom is a very flexible environment but very stressful
Senior/ Lead .NET Developer (Former Employee) –  Wellington, New Zealand10 January 2014
During my work at Datacom, I learned more on how to be independent. It is "help yourself" culture. Typical day at work is very busy because of high demand from the clients. Each day has its own pressure whether from peers or clients.
Working with my co-workers was a challenging experienced. Hardest part of the job was to lead a small group of individuals and at the same time accomplishing my own tasks.

Most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with their clients.
Pros
Free drinks and snacks during friday
Cons
No Human Resouce Department