David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

David Jones
Long time ago that I worked at DJs but it was a lovely time and great staff ,benefits were good too
If I was looking again I would not hesitate to apply
Good for a part-time worker
Part-time worker was good as our shifts were guaranteed but when applying for annual leave, management rarely checks them which is troubling because in the end, they will blame it on you for not doing it "earlier" and tell you to find other employees to take your shift. Long hours and is tiring if you do a 9:30 to 7pm shift. Good pay once you're 20 though. Casuals only get one shift a week in the quieter months though. A lot of talking behind people's backs in the workplace and managers play favourites. This would be fine until they make it too obvious. They will give shifts to those they like and joke around with them during the shifts but will tell you off or order you around if you're not their "favourite". Super unprofessional. Also A LOT of upper management walking around the floors so be ready to dress professionally and be on your best behaviour. I felt like I was working at an office on certain days because it is a very professional workplace. Don't think they are like other retailers where you can slack off. I've only been working here for a little less than a year and the other girls with me want to leave already. We're just tired of the workplace. Same routine, typical rude customers, tiring and nothing new. Wish we had longer breaks since we work an all-day shift.
Not bad at all
Had good memories there. Fast-paced but fun. People who work there are friendly with each other. The pay was good for a student like me at the time. Staff discounts. Can't complain.
Be careful of releasing information
David Jones management can be very two faced and there is barely any support or recognition. for excellent work performance
They need to pay more attention to detail in regards to policies and procedures..
It is very good experience working at David Jones.
I feel very good to work as a sales professional at David Jones. I love the way every staff and managers behave with us and the way they are helpful to me. I like David Jones as my employer company.
Pros
Effective Collaboration and friendly environment
Cons
Sometimes it is so busy
Productive and fun place to work in
It's a great experience working in David Jones. Coworkers are cooperative and managers have been great. They have training for product knowledge and people are willing to help and guide you when you have questions. The only point where you get stressful is selling the Amex Card. It's a valuable card yet the constant pressure of getting it kinda take over the fun side working in David Jones.
Pros
Nice people and they actually give good customer service.
Cons
The constant pressure to sell Amex
A workplace
Not a great environment if you don't have a lot of confidence. People can be quite unwelcoming. Many different aspects though sometimes felt welcome. Quite a few opportunities.
Challenging work environment which becomes stressful at times
work on production issues
always served with new challenge in terms of user reported incidents

overnight batch process is not stable

salary is average
Do not recomend
-Terrible company to work for. You are constantly pressured to sign customers up for credit cards DAILY.

-If you don't get at least 1 card per month your job will be constantly held over your head

-They do not put you on as permanent and only want you when it suits them but expect you to be free all the time

-Managers couldn't care less about your health and wellbeing

-Staff members are stuck up and miserable

-You get no hours (only over Christmas)
Great team and great management, work life balance. Fun environment love the company. Customer service is a priority and they strive to keep customers coming back
Temporary position
Was only there for 3 months as a fill in role till I found another office role
Was never intending to stay in the role long term so cannot say much about it
Wonderful people and supervisors
Taking calls did make the day go so quick
Satisfying helping customer with their queries

Customers often angry but satisfying when you are able to change the situation
Pros
The 20% discount on products
Cons
The customers complaining about the service
Poor management & training
I never received training whilst working for the company. However, I met lovely co- workers, who were willing to assist me whenever possible. Though most staff were friendly, there definitely were unpleasant ones who became irritated when I asked for help. This goes for some managers I encountered as well. Particularly the store manager, who was passive aggressive & hostile. On my first shift I was left unsupervised for 3 hours, and throughout my time of employment it was common for me, along with other staff to work alone within a department. The conditions of the staff room weren’t very sanitary either. In the bag locker room there was a stack of used & mouldy dishes. An awful stench came from that area. Management knew of this, never dealt with it. Miscommunication was also a major issue within the store, which often resulted in tension forming between co-workers. Don’t recommend it.
Pros
Friendly staff. Good discounts and employee benefits.
Cons
Management is strongly disorganised. Understaffed. No training.
Poor - average
David Jones over the years has changed tremendously. In many good and bad ways. You have to be a favourite to get anywhere and there is always push. Job load never gets any easier. I miss the old David Jones
Good company to work for as a concession
Management is very aggressive towards staff so hopefully they change them regularly so the best is to do your job well to avoid stress. As long as job is done well no problems arise. Working for two companies was difficult.
Pros
Safe company, payments on time, good breaks
Cons
Some managers have a power problem
Great Place!
As a logistics assistant. It was a great place to work! Very relaxed job. Learned how to process inventory and help with my organization skills. Definitely recommend.
Christmas Casual
Was a good time. i learnt the most as a sales assistant, and I would work for this company again. Friendly staff, good discounts. The hardest part of the job was managing how many customers come through at Christmas.
Challenging , Dynamic work place with good coffee
Great working with IT and Business. Team is really helpful and understanding.I manage to walk around with all team members. Regional Test Manager has a good vision and leader.
Good
Comfortable working environment Working with David Jones colleagues was a great learning adventure
All colleagues in all departments were very helpful
Good work place with good amenities
A typical workplace with a real push for KPI to keep your hours and job alive.
Most of the team members are very helpful.

Good training with reasonable time to pick up your work speed.

Mostly it 4 hours a day which is productive for business but not for employees because Sydney is too expensive to live and feed your family but with 18-20 hours very difficult to survive as well.

That's why a lot of people come and a lot leave as well.
Toxic environment
I was a casual for just over a year, I was not at uni so I was available full time and worked overtime and did tasks that were for a manager. I constantly asked for a party time contract and showed interest in management. The managers continued to say “we’d be more than happy to give you a part time contract because you work so hard and everyone talks very highly of yos told many times we are creating a part time position specifically for you” after a few months of the “trail” there was no more talk about it. I was told there was no part/full time positions going through n my department they told me they’d give me part time in another department. When the moves happened they told me that they weren’t going to give it to me anymore but make the new manager decide. The new manager quickly had her favourites which is also a problem in at David Jones, iits not what you know it’s who you know. They started to cut back my hours, I did have an incident at work but even finding out from scans that it was not caused by work and having two different doctors clear me for work they still wanted me to fill out more paper work and get another clearance from my doctors. Since leaving I have spoken to my friends who still work there and they are getting bullied, harassed and pressured. The David Jones card itself is a scam and the only reason they care about is because it makes them more money. Some managers bully you into selling a card with zero training or knowledge of the card. The floor is always understaffed and they usually only put staff in area they care more about for example they - more...
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.