David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.
Pros
More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc
Cons
I like to see more David Jones ways.
Very bad experience, incredibly inhuman treatment of by the regional manager. They expect you to always wear and buy a suit even though you are only employed for 25 hours a week, and on two months contract. No black snekears, only leather shoe and you cant sit down or walk around for 10 hour shift. Direct manager are more understanding but the regional manager treat you like garbage. She will confiscate your phone with your credit card in the phone sleeves for having your phone on the desk even though you explained that you were helping the customer looking at the online store earlier.
Toxic work environment where bullying and harassment is a normal everyday practice. Very ageist, class structure in evident between management and sales staff. No prober Work Health and Safety Practices.
You’re just a commodity to them. Despite how loyal you feel towards them and how many times you stay late and do extra work, they don’t care. They’ll exploit that and you get nothing in return. They’ll also tell you what you want to hear and then cut your hours at the drop of a hat. Definitely would never recommend working there
Great opportunity to work with high calibre of young professionals who take great pride in their work. Training and development is second to none and great perks. Lush facilities in a great location. Very fast paced, hard working culture. Only negative is poor work life balance, long hours required here.
Leave never approve according to what you have planned.
Very pushy on selling amex and capture customer emails

Very racist.

Promotion is only for friends
You''ll be disappointed because the management team couldn't care less about you. I guess the coworkers were nice though. The work was super stressful and mostly unrewarding. I'd think twice before applying..
Initially there was a near NO IT culture in David Jones. But the project changed all that. Now they have a sophisticated mobile reporting mechanics, a neat EDW and processes to capture and assimilate data in EDW
Overall a project which effected a 'cultural change' in David Jones.
Pros
Able to impart my skills and experiences - MDM, Data Cycle, Integration (Distributed databases) and of course bring in a consulative approach given my skills
Over the 5 years of working accros all counters at david jones ive had to resign . Management are bizarre and unapproachable. The job is trying to scam people into signing up for a credit card they cannot afford disguised as customer service. Do not go into this rabbit hole unless you want to become mentally ill
Overall I would not recommend working at David Jones. What was once a good work place has become a place of high stress where team members are expected to be perfect. Managers pressure staff to sell credit cards daily. So many team members are trying to get jobs else where so they can quit, even those who have been with the company for 10+ years.
Pros
Decent to good pay, Some very kind fellow workers, Staff discount, Gained experience in many different departments.
Cons
Low staffed or understaffed every single day, casuals are thrown into departments with no training, problematic staff don’t get dealt with, Only 10 minute break in 5 hour shift, managers only care about selling credit cards, managers have bad attitudes, felt like just another number
My place of work for 12 yrs of my life in retail. Had a great rapport with work mates over that time! Management mostly good!
The overall atmosphere was one of great work colleagues, mostly great customers, great department to work in (homewares)!!
Pros
Great workmates, nice customers
Cons
Sometimes not felt appreciated by management!
Worked at Pacific Fair over 2 years, in that time I have never witnessed so much bullying by a group of managers in all my 20 years in customer service. Although I myself (as a concession manager) was only subjugated to 10 times or so of insulting & degrading comments, I witnessed this abhorrent behaviour almost every day. Management reminds me of a group of ex bullied high-schoolers that finally have their revenge on the world! Pay is rubbish and the hours are long (wait till Christmas OMG). Upper level pompous management are equally clueless, visions of grandeur dancng in all their heads. Avoid this place at all costs!!!
1. The work is challenging and that is exactly what makes the job more interesting.
2. Plenty of opportunities to learn on the job.

3. Collaborative value.
Receiving truck deliveries all at the same time and being pushed to make sure that everything is correct and in order, while multiple trucks are trying to unload their delivery and trying to get you to hurry as they have deadlines to meet.
Received little training though, I picked things up pretty quickly. A typical day included stocking shelves and selling Christmas trees. It got quite chaotic at times, especially when there were sales/offers. I found it very enjoyable for a first-time job and wished they had kept me on longer!
everyone's really lovely and easy to get along with including all the managers. It's a close knit atmosphere so everyone knows everything and everyone.
Bad culture from the top down, don’t bother it’s entering the biggest retail recession. Awfully treated from senior management in HO and GMS/CEO. Salaries cut from stores so far so that staff cannot keep up with customer demands and get abused by customers due to not enough staff coverage.
left here cause I had a nervous break down, staff wasn't supported enough as manager changed way to much. otherwise would of been an amazing place to work
Pros
you can move up in your role, good staff benefits and great discounts
Cons
not enough support
Nice environment very friendly staff, helpful, understanding.
The nice part of my job was the early start and earlz finish but the work always the same which I found it a boring after a while.
Tive bons gerentes e aprendi bastante, é uma empresa muito grande, entao muita coisa acontece.
Awful management, too many inexperienced fresh out of school assistant managers on power trips who bully and micro manage hard working staff into leaving.

Also doesn't matter how many KPIs you achieve on sales targets and customer capture, how many thousands of dollars of stock you can sell a day, and how good your customer service is...if you can't sell an AMEX card say goodbye to your job.
Pros
Great discount, great pay, workplace always clean and safe, lovely to work with nice brands, most of the staff is lovely too.
Cons
See review
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.