David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.
Pros
More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc
Cons
I like to see more David Jones ways.
The staff were really friendly and if you got involved there was a lot of training given to you based on what department you were in.
Staff parties were usually just in the food hall but nice that they invested money in the food.

Quite often understaffed particularly after 4pm so you are unable to go on your break in the last 3 hours of the day or have anyone cover you to go to the bathroom.

You have to sell David Jones cards and if you do not sell them you are put through multiple trainings until you are able to sell at least one a month so if you do not like pushing credit cards on people then this is not the place for you.

Was also impossible to move up in the business unless you were exceptional at selling cards, most managers/supervisors came from outside the business
Pros
Training, Staff Parties
Cons
Selling David Jones Cards, Understaffed, Job Advancement
Work for s brand partner within DJs and haven’t in my 30 years of working experienced such a bad culture from David Jones.
In particular the miranda location is disgusting so much gossip not enough work creating the worst culture to be around.
Pros
Discounts on all brands
Cons
Gossip, culture, bad environment, management involved in gossip too, no support
poor management,Double standard, poor teamleadership, low pay. They do not appreciate for your effort and contribution. I won't recommend any job in DJ to my friends as they deserve a better job.
Pros
staff discount? sorry, not to contractor
Cons
poor system, high volume of work and never to be end
I definitely learned a lot by working here. I was lucky enough that my managers really did love me and had a great team I could work with. But they also put a lot of stress on managers who would then put a lot of stress on us.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
selling credit cards, asking to subscribe to emails, entitled customers, pushy managment
Best work place culture. It's a fun place to work at with amazing colleague who always have your back. The amount of things you learn at work is a lot and very beneficial for enhancung your communication skills and boosting your confidence.
Pros
-Good Salary -Good Management -Good Work place culture -Supportive Colleagues
Cons
Tough to work if you do not have fairly good communication skills
My days working with David Jones was busy, insightful and fun. I'm so Hppy to have had the chance to work with David Jones. I learnt how to use a camera, how to edit photos on a computer and time management under pressure. The hardest part of the job would have been the agitated and angry customers however I was able to explain to them and apologise for any inconvenience. The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with the team and talking to the customers.
Pros
1x free Santa photo
The expectation is very much that you will live and breathe the brand. The team is lovely to work with, but stretched incredibly thin. Extreme pressure is placed on employees to push customers to apply for the David Jones American Express cards.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Low remuneration
Always (mostly) enjoyed been at work.
Interacting with colleges, focusing on costumer service/ new product knowledge .always interesting .

Making sure of product replenishment, stock control.

Awareness on KPI s .

Maintaining a clean, healthy, secure work environment for staff/colleges as well as costumers.

Changing of supervisors/floor managers somehow challenging at times.
Pros
satisfied costumers, financial reinbursment.
Cons
daily challenges, difficult situations.
Every day at work is a brand new day and you will be able to learn new things and have new tasks and responsibilities. I've been able to learn how to manage employees, also meet daily targets.
Absolutely terrible place to work. Discrimination at its finest. All they care about is money and what YOU can do for them. No one cares about your family or personal life, they just want results. They drill down to every single sale/store result with a fine tooth comb and hold you responsible for everything.

Parking is also a nightmare. Arriving at 7:30am does not even guarantee you a car park. When asked if I could receive a car park in the building I was rejected and told that car parks are given based on your job title...DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!

Do not work here, please avoid and do not accept any job offer from them. Everyone is miserable and are trying to get out. I don’t know one person who enjoys working here.
Pros
Nothing. Not one good pro
Cons
David Jones work was a great experience as the team I was involved in worked relentlessly in providing great support to the store, the attitude was friendly and the team was nice and dedicated. Management was also helpful.
Pros
Meal Breaks
be careful if you want to join their Food Hall Team!
Very surprised that such a big company has such a bad working culture and body really care their job. Disgusting management and bad pay.But if you just wanna hand around and get ready for your retirement, not a bad place to choose:)
Great staff and environment however management, pressure and total neglect for staff wellbeing at times is unacceptable. manager was not willing to give casual staff a day off 3 weeks in advance. Manager is very hard to negotiate with.
Pros
Great staff, long lunches
Cons
terrible managment, terrible culture
There wasn't enough appreciation of the work and effort we put in as staff. Not having job security turned out to be a big issue and not being given enough hours during the week made it difficult to find another job, so really there was no back-up plan whilst working there.
Work place is fun to work but with limited career opportunity. Colleagues are friendly and management listens to staff. Sometimes work pressure is overwhelming as only limited number of staff are assigned.
a good place to work with out doubt the best expirience in work i have yet had. only one complaint is that the induction culture they want ingrained is lacking in some of the longer term staff you will work with
The only good thing about this company is the Co-workers and the customers. Management is slack. Especially when it comes to asking for help when its busy, extra help only ever shows up when it suits the managers and they dont have to pay to have extra people on. They never put enough staff on when you need it. Staff are always having problems with pay wether its late or missing. Most of the concession workers dont get SAN numbers so alot of customers dont get served. They mess up availabilities alot too. Put you on the exact times you say you can't work. Overall this company has alot of fixing to do with thier entire attitude and the way they "look after" their staff.
Pros
Staff, Customers.
Cons
Management, Pay, Availability.
Key Achievements:

• Providing highly effective staff supervision, training and rostering

• Meeting or exceeding sales targets and key performance indicators

• Ensuring a high level of work health and safety is available to all employees
Pros
Product Range
The store I worked at had okay managers but it was extremely difficult working in this store as we were constantly understaffed. When you call managers to get someone to help you, they don't even bother. Selling the card to customers is useless as we are not a bank and is unnecessary stress. It is extremely difficult to give customers 100% our attention as we are constantly understaffed and have no support from management. We cant satisfy the customers and the management.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, no support, cards
Training was always there number 1, never throw you in the deep end. All staff members were lovely and always helped you even if it was there job. The management is great.
Pros
Lovely staff members, all lunch breaks
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.