David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews

Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.
Pros
More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc
Cons
I like to see more David Jones ways.
I thoroughly enjoyed working there even though it was only a short contract but overall I enjoy the experience and invaluable skills I learn from the logistic centre It gave me a stepping stone where I can utilised what I know to further my skills experience and advanced my future into the unknown. Thank you so much for the experience gained. Much appreciate.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Good work environment and employees. Very good policies and procedures and fair practices. Good perks and compensation benefits. Great discount on products.
A great first job to learn retail standards as DJ"S brand is well known and highly esteemed .Experience the full variety of customer situations, from spending 20 mins with interested customer wanting your advice to high volume traffic during promotional periods.
High quality products

go to work in a suit!
Pros
enjoyable regular customers, great co-workers
Cons
dealing with customers with personal issues
This job was good over the busy Christmas period, however after this the amount of customers significantly dropped and most days were spent tidying and filling stock.
Pros
Nice people and culture
Cons
Tedious and not much scope for career advancement.
Very hard hours and a lot of lifting although paid leave and sick leave benefits were extremely good, getting paid in full for sick days and earning 4 weeks of paid leave per year.
The executives at David Jones were very professional and excellent to work for. They were very kind and helpful to fit in with my availability. Working on the ground floor as a conceirge was exciting being in the midst of promotions and seasonal specials.
Pros
staff discount
Enjoyable and great sales learning environment. In some departments managerial positions need reviewing. Culture of sales staff is very competitive.
David Jones Provided a lot of flexibility and benefits for staff members.
Most enjoyable were the Christmas parties and the friendships that were made.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Stock take
Working for this company is good but its not necessarily a career option for me as my postion does not allow much interaction.
While staff are friendly i find my position to be dull certain times of day and year.

However, If you love an office job it is perfect.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
Can be quiet and slow
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at David Jones?
As I enjoy excellent customer service and assisting customers,I thrive in this role and constantly achieve high sale targets. I work independently and stock a very large area in the mens department.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No incentives
really enjoyed working for david jones, by far one of the best experiences ive ever had in my life
Pros
10 to 20% discounts for employees
Cons
It was average working as a Christmas casual here. The pay wasn't the best and the management was rude. overall wouldn't recommend. Always short staffed also.
Pros
the shifts given
Cons
management
As a clearner,I had to mop the kitchen floors, change the bins, use different cleaning chemicals to clean the floor. The work was found to be really motivating. I learned to utilize time efficiently. my workplace has positive working enviornment . The only hardest part of job was to lift heavy bins alone from the work place to the under ground floor. however i enjoyed my job and did really good.
Pros
short workinghour
Cons
no one to talk
Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company.

Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job.

Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis.

Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place.

Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can.

Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card.

My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a
 - more...
Pros
10% staff discount, 20% in some areas
Cons
AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off
great company to work for !
great management

supportive workers

Nice customers

Nice place to work in, great staff deals

Happy to be a part of this company
Work inside David jones is horrible it’s one of the worst jobs I had no support.. dj management threat you constantly Djs staff believe that they have superior powers so they can treat you like rubbish and it’s ok and they are supported buy the management that bullies you constantly... so that was my experience working inside DJ...
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
A long list
I spent 4 years at david jones and learn a lot of things about humans and selling to them. There are many different personality types and i have encounted all of them. David jones has taught me the true meaning of customer service, and how to sell to all different type of personalities.
Pros
great people, great work environment, good lunch room
Cons
other staff not doing there job properly which makes your job a bit harder
Great first job learnt a lot about fashion and retail industry. although got a bit boring and the other staff member were always miserable. Needs a funner vibe
Pros
Discount
Cons
Boring
I made many new friends at David Jones, enhanced my customer service skills and flair for fashion! There is great work-life balance and my managers were very understanding of my study commitments.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell cards
The staff are all polite as are the customers, of course there is a standard to uphold but the customers aren't as difficult to deal with as other retail shoppers in other shops. The reputation of David Jones is a high one, and all the policies and regulations are closely monitored. Staff perks are amazing with discounts and extra discounts on top of sale. Rosters are no issue depending on the store, and stock flow is ever-changing.
Pros
Staff discount, flexibility working different departments, food perks, staff area
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.