David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews in Melbourne VIC

Melbourne VIC16 reviews
Had good memories there. Fast-paced but fun. People who work there are friendly with each other. The pay was good for a student like me at the time. Staff discounts. Can't complain.
Racist af
Rude

Disrespectful

Nit pickers

Competitive

TOO much gossiping

Unfair work load

You literally get paid chia seeds.

Managers I worked with were Emily and Sheila. Bloody bs ffs
Pros
Nada
Cons
Could go on forever!!!
A very poor management team. Everyone are based on relationship, and they cover each other. Treat their staff really unfairly and customer service is bad. Left due to the management.
Pros
Nothing really
Cons
Management corruption
Fun. Encouraging team members. Staff benefits. Positive environment. Work is fun and I always look forward for the next shift. Meeting different people gives you a lot of learning in a short time.
1. The work is challenging and that is exactly what makes the job more interesting.
2. Plenty of opportunities to learn on the job.

3. Collaborative value.
everyone's really lovely and easy to get along with including all the managers. It's a close knit atmosphere so everyone knows everything and everyone.
Bad culture from the top down, don’t bother it’s entering the biggest retail recession. Awfully treated from senior management in HO and GMS/CEO. Salaries cut from stores so far so that staff cannot keep up with customer demands and get abused by customers due to not enough staff coverage.
Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company.

Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job.

Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis.

Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place.

Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can.

Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card.

My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a
 - more...
Pros
10% staff discount, 20% in some areas
Cons
AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off
Great first job learnt a lot about fashion and retail industry. although got a bit boring and the other staff member were always miserable. Needs a funner vibe
Pros
Discount
Cons
Boring
A fun environment to work. Plenty of overtime and a great supportive team to work with. Not as hectic as working in the flagship store in Sydney, but as rewarding in the long run.
Pros
I could walk to work.
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at David Jones?
Was there for people to see that they were being observed during a busy shopping period .
Hopefully put off a few shop lifters.

Not there too long but it was an ok job.
Pros
as above
Cons
no cons
Adaptability: can perform a variety of duties, handles many situations with ease, is comfortable with change

People Skills: is very cooperative, works in harmony with others, and adds to a positive environment

Team Skills: encourages team members to participate in problem solving, utilizes the skills of each team member, enhances productivity
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Long hour
catch the train to city
enjoy day working and providing help and excellent service to customers to ensure their satisfaction and the companies mission to sell.

hardest part would be to sell a credit card as not many people are up to getting another card on the spot.

most enjoyable part is just being there as my co-workers were amazing and very nice to work with also gave me lots of advice.
AN amazing environment with fantastic people, good training and a fun atmosphere. Everyone was encoring and welcoming, it was a challenging but fulfilling role and I would one day love to work there again.
Punctuality most important. On the job learning includes sales angles and pitches, dispute resolution and effective time management. Working with experienced, knowledgeable colleagues, the hardest part of the job is working through the holidays or otherwise very busy times.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low rate of pay
I was able to utilise my excellent communication skills with staff, management and customers alike.

My extensive travel experience and knowledge provided me with a strong understanding and respect for different cultures. This enhanced my empathetic and patient nature towards others.

I thoroughly enjoyed working with people and following up requests/problems on behalf of customers.

I always enjoy a challenge and my organisational skills enabled me to carry out my duties efficiently and diligently.
Pros
Discount on items throughout store
Cons
Midnight and later finishing times at certain times of the year
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.