David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews in Sydney Central Business District NSW

Sydney Central Business District NSW8 reviews
Part-time worker was good as our shifts were guaranteed but when applying for annual leave, management rarely checks them which is troubling because in the end, they will blame it on you for not doing it "earlier" and tell you to find other employees to take your shift. Long hours and is tiring if you do a 9:30 to 7pm shift. Good pay once you're 20 though. Casuals only get one shift a week in the quieter months though. A lot of talking behind people's backs in the workplace and managers play favourites. This would be fine until they make it too obvious. They will give shifts to those they like and joke around with them during the shifts but will tell you off or order you around if you're not their "favourite". Super unprofessional. Also A LOT of upper management walking around the floors so be ready to dress professionally and be on your best behaviour. I felt like I was working at an office on certain days because it is a very professional workplace. Don't think they are like other retailers where you can slack off. I've only been working here for a little less than a year and the other girls with me want to leave already. We're just tired of the workplace. Same routine, typical rude customers, tiring and nothing new. Wish we had longer breaks since we work an all-day shift.
Not a great environment if you don't have a lot of confidence. People can be quite unwelcoming. Many different aspects though sometimes felt welcome. Quite a few opportunities.
Initially there was a near NO IT culture in David Jones. But the project changed all that. Now they have a sophisticated mobile reporting mechanics, a neat EDW and processes to capture and assimilate data in EDW
Overall a project which effected a 'cultural change' in David Jones.
Pros
Able to impart my skills and experiences - MDM, Data Cycle, Integration (Distributed databases) and of course bring in a consulative approach given my skills
Awful management, too many inexperienced fresh out of school assistant managers on power trips who bully and micro manage hard working staff into leaving.

Also doesn't matter how many KPIs you achieve on sales targets and customer capture, how many thousands of dollars of stock you can sell a day, and how good your customer service is...if you can't sell an AMEX card say goodbye to your job.
Pros
Great discount, great pay, workplace always clean and safe, lovely to work with nice brands, most of the staff is lovely too.
Cons
See review
2015-Current
As a Personal Assistant I provide support for business related activities and ensure that I am professional and courteous in all of my interactions whilst maintaining the highest level of confidentiality. In my role I interact with a broader team of executive assistants across the business nationally and I endeavour to foster close relationships that support me in undertaking my job effectively. I project manage the IT team of approximately 140 staff with day to day requirements within the business.
I loved working for David Jones. They provided extensive and proactive training and I was working in the area I wanted.
You get to meet so many different walks of life and you know your working for a company that follows rules and meets its expectations.
Pros
Invitations to particular parties, chance to meet Miranda Kerrs brother, chance to meet celebrities and insight on fashion and beauty plus staff discounts.
Cons
Not enough hours and a drop in sales.
Depending on what floor you work on, I believe the Managers and Supervisors make the difference on your work day, some people do stock and others just make sales and hog tills.......

They know which counters make money and which ones are an island..... Stuck in no mans land ? staying in your Zone ? I have never been in customer service where I stay in my Zone, I want my customer to have a full experience so I will stay until they are satisfied and ready to give me their email number or to sign up for a card and handover their money.

Dont give up, some colleagues work five hours and never touch a rail of stock or a trolley full of new products, we know who we are !!!!

Hang in there while looking for another job !!!!! I am !!!!!
Pros
days off
Cons
weekends and public holidays
I am currently working with the Online Team, a typical day is usually busy, productive and dealing with many different situations. My Co-workers and myself all get on well, we are here to support and help each other, regardless if you are new to the team or not. The hardest part is when maybe the system lets us down or works really slow. The enjoyable part of working for this company is achieving happy outcomes for our customers. As you can tell this is a job, I enjoy very much.
Pros
Working with great people.
Cons
Working late on cold wet nights, can be a drag getting come late.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.