David Jones Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Felt productive, great work colleagues
Professional sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Homewares15 October 2019
My place of work for 12 yrs of my life in retail. Had a great rapport with work mates over that time! Management mostly good!
The overall atmosphere was one of great work colleagues, mostly great customers, great department to work in (homewares)!!
Pros
Great workmates, nice customers
Cons
Sometimes not felt appreciated by management!
Great discount and brands to work with...But awful, awful management and training
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW24 June 2019
Awful management, too many inexperienced fresh out of school assistant managers on power trips who bully and micro manage hard working staff into leaving.

Also doesn't matter how many KPIs you achieve on sales targets and customer capture, how many thousands of dollars of stock you can sell a day, and how good your customer service is...if you can't sell an AMEX card say goodbye to your job.
Pros
Great discount, great pay, workplace always clean and safe, lovely to work with nice brands, most of the staff is lovely too.
Cons
See review
Good training but pressure on Selling Credit Cards
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Perth WA18 June 2019
The staff were really friendly and if you got involved there was a lot of training given to you based on what department you were in.
Staff parties were usually just in the food hall but nice that they invested money in the food.
Quite often understaffed particularly after 4pm so you are unable to go on your break in the last 3 hours of the day or have anyone cover you to go to the bathroom.
You have to sell David Jones cards and if you do not sell them you are put through multiple trainings until you are able to sell at least one a month so if you do not like pushing credit cards on people then this is not the place for you.
Was also impossible to move up in the business unless you were exceptional at selling cards, most managers/supervisors came from outside the business
Pros
Training, Staff Parties
Cons
Selling David Jones Cards, Understaffed, Job Advancement
Worst place to work at
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD28 November 2018
The store I worked at had okay managers but it was extremely difficult working in this store as we were constantly understaffed. When you call managers to get someone to help you, they don't even bother. Selling the card to customers is useless as we are not a bank and is unnecessary stress. It is extremely difficult to give customers 100% our attention as we are constantly understaffed and have no support from management. We cant satisfy the customers and the management.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, no support, cards
good for experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glen Waverley VIC14 October 2018
A great first job to learn retail standards as DJ"S brand is well known and highly esteemed .Experience the full variety of customer situations, from spending 20 mins with interested customer wanting your advice to high volume traffic during promotional periods.
High quality products
go to work in a suit!
Pros
enjoyable regular customers, great co-workers
Cons
dealing with customers with personal issues
good company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  NSW7 March 2018
great company to work for !
great management
supportive workers
Nice customers
Nice place to work in, great staff deals
Happy to be a part of this company
Great discounts!
Sales Assistant - Menswear (Former Employee) –  Ringwood VIC7 February 2018
I made many new friends at David Jones, enhanced my customer service skills and flair for fashion! There is great work-life balance and my managers were very understanding of my study commitments.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell cards
Wonderful place to work at
Casual Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Doncaster VIC31 January 2018
The staff are all polite as are the customers, of course there is a standard to uphold but the customers aren't as difficult to deal with as other retail shoppers in other shops. The reputation of David Jones is a high one, and all the policies and regulations are closely monitored. Staff perks are amazing with discounts and extra discounts on top of sale. Rosters are no issue depending on the store, and stock flow is ever-changing.
Pros
Staff discount, flexibility working different departments, food perks, staff area
Great environment
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Adelaide City Centre SA7 December 2017
The staff all work together and create a good atmosphere. Conveniently located a short walk from the Adelaide train station, and benefits and discounts are quite good. Training provided for staff is tailored depending on tasks and requirements .
Good workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Woden ACT1 July 2017
A pleasant place to work with supportive management and a good team environment. Bonuses available for those who achieved KPIs, and great staff discounts on products.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
High pressure sale environment to sell credit cards
Typical retail job with little benefits
Management was an issue in this workplace. Advancement in the company was near impossible. Not a positive workplace. Loved serving customers otherwise.
Pros
Great colleagues.
Cons
Not positive work environment
Hard work constantly on your feet
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hornsby NSW14 May 2017
Long hours, Working through lunch breaks but good work culture with everyone willing to help out in different departments. Positive is once work was finished it stayed at work.
Pros
Team events
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Miranda NSW17 April 2017
Working at David Jones provides you with a lot of opportunities to develop your interpersonal and professional skills for future employment. It is a positive work environment and very productive.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Karrinyup WA11 April 2017
I enjoy working at David Jones I have worked in all stores and am now at Karrinyup. The store needs refurbishment but the team and managers are all great to work with and I have a great team in menswear . Everyone in this store helps each other and we sometimes help in other departments . Overall the store feels like a family . Nice products to sell and lots of product training .
Pros
Great team and managers . Staff discount is great
Cons
Old store that needs repairs
Sad decline from greatness
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Carindale QLD6 March 2017
No staff, no one new hired for a very long time, lot of pressure on existing team members, very unhappy customers. Constant customer complaints for lack of service, usually only one or two team member only looking after an entire department.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
No support from management
Horrible sales manager, made everyone miserable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warringah Mall NSW28 February 2017
my sales manager always found a way to put me down and let me know how I wasn't good enough, I felt bullied. I tried to grow in the business but my manager was never on the floor and bullied staff. other staff members could see this. I moved to another big department store and it is the complete opposite. DONT WORK AT DAVID JONES. you can find a much better career.
Pros
other employees on the same level as me appreciated my work
Cons
managers didn't give a s**t about employees in the lower position.
Very bad environment to work with.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gold Coast QLD21 January 2017
The sales manager could be extremely rude and heartless.. other staff member were okay but do not trust anyone at workplace, especially your sales manager. There is no future to work with david jones and poor management.
Pros
Nothing at all but all you get is a yelled from your sales manager for no reason
Cons
Poor management and a horrible sales manager who thought that she is the owner od djs.
Rewarding and great experience
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southland10 January 2017
Every day was different and challenging A fast pace work place with many great rewards. You got to meet many different customers and made friends with staff and management
Pros
Well know department store
Cons
Understaffed
Challenge yourself
Casual Sales Assistant for Chirstmas (Former Employee) –  Sydney NSW4 January 2017
Due to the massive competitive nowadays, this is a challenge to show how well you can be among others.
It is a good place to put yourself competitive and learn a lot.
Pros
Training
Cons
Not permanent
Great company to grow with
Casual Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Claremont WA30 June 2016
I really enjoy my job at DJs. The section I work at is equipped with an amazing team. My manager is just the best I can imagine. She is always friendly, respects your private live outside of DJs and takes good care of the whole team. That also goes for all the other managers and the Store-Manager himself! The brands I get to work with are trendy and up-to-date, which makes it easy to sell the to the desired target group. Even tough everyone says they put pressure on you with the Amex and so on, I can not agree. If you do realise what benefits they have, it makes it easy to introduce them to the customer! Overall a very good company to grow with as an employee.
Pros
Good salary, good staff discounts, great team, great management!
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.