David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sales Assistant37 reviews
Well I was working there work in 2018 before Christmas holidays and after new year I work at men's shoe's and casual men's wear jeans and I did stock and set up and clean the stockroom and made sure the showroom was clean all the bench and the glass shells and shoe were polish everything like shoes was set up and polite with respect, manners etc did I like working there I did, the only thing is my pay got staff for a month nil. I don't know ithe Ceo.
Pros
More cleaning and polish shoes glass dust etc
Cons
I like to see more David Jones ways.
They don't value their employees, even the ones who have been there for over 10 years. They constantly push for better results, never acknowledging good work; you're never good enough. The management team is disorganised and unqualified, and pressure you to the point you don't want to come in to your shift.
Careful with changing management. Though it has been wonderful working with David Jones, there are a lot of things one should consider working in the food hall.
-Terrible company to work for. You are constantly pressured to sign customers up for credit cards DAILY.

-If you don't get at least 1 card per month your job will be constantly held over your head

-They do not put you on as permanent and only want you when it suits them but expect you to be free all the time

-Managers couldn't care less about your health and wellbeing

-Staff members are stuck up and miserable

-You get no hours (only over Christmas)
My place of work for 12 yrs of my life in retail. Had a great rapport with work mates over that time! Management mostly good!
The overall atmosphere was one of great work colleagues, mostly great customers, great department to work in (homewares)!!
Pros
Great workmates, nice customers
Cons
Sometimes not felt appreciated by management!
everyone's really lovely and easy to get along with including all the managers. It's a close knit atmosphere so everyone knows everything and everyone.
Awful management, too many inexperienced fresh out of school assistant managers on power trips who bully and micro manage hard working staff into leaving.

Also doesn't matter how many KPIs you achieve on sales targets and customer capture, how many thousands of dollars of stock you can sell a day, and how good your customer service is...if you can't sell an AMEX card say goodbye to your job.
Pros
Great discount, great pay, workplace always clean and safe, lovely to work with nice brands, most of the staff is lovely too.
Cons
See review
The staff were really friendly and if you got involved there was a lot of training given to you based on what department you were in.
Staff parties were usually just in the food hall but nice that they invested money in the food.

Quite often understaffed particularly after 4pm so you are unable to go on your break in the last 3 hours of the day or have anyone cover you to go to the bathroom.

You have to sell David Jones cards and if you do not sell them you are put through multiple trainings until you are able to sell at least one a month so if you do not like pushing credit cards on people then this is not the place for you.

Was also impossible to move up in the business unless you were exceptional at selling cards, most managers/supervisors came from outside the business
Pros
Training, Staff Parties
Cons
Selling David Jones Cards, Understaffed, Job Advancement
The store I worked at had okay managers but it was extremely difficult working in this store as we were constantly understaffed. When you call managers to get someone to help you, they don't even bother. Selling the card to customers is useless as we are not a bank and is unnecessary stress. It is extremely difficult to give customers 100% our attention as we are constantly understaffed and have no support from management. We cant satisfy the customers and the management.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
management, no support, cards
A great first job to learn retail standards as DJ"S brand is well known and highly esteemed .Experience the full variety of customer situations, from spending 20 mins with interested customer wanting your advice to high volume traffic during promotional periods.
High quality products

go to work in a suit!
Pros
enjoyable regular customers, great co-workers
Cons
dealing with customers with personal issues
great company to work for !
great management

supportive workers

Nice customers

Nice place to work in, great staff deals

Happy to be a part of this company
I made many new friends at David Jones, enhanced my customer service skills and flair for fashion! There is great work-life balance and my managers were very understanding of my study commitments.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pressure to sell cards
The staff are all polite as are the customers, of course there is a standard to uphold but the customers aren't as difficult to deal with as other retail shoppers in other shops. The reputation of David Jones is a high one, and all the policies and regulations are closely monitored. Staff perks are amazing with discounts and extra discounts on top of sale. Rosters are no issue depending on the store, and stock flow is ever-changing.
Pros
Staff discount, flexibility working different departments, food perks, staff area
The staff all work together and create a good atmosphere. Conveniently located a short walk from the Adelaide train station, and benefits and discounts are quite good. Training provided for staff is tailored depending on tasks and requirements .
A pleasant place to work with supportive management and a good team environment. Bonuses available for those who achieved KPIs, and great staff discounts on products.
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
High pressure sale environment to sell credit cards
Management was an issue in this workplace. Advancement in the company was near impossible. Not a positive workplace. Loved serving customers otherwise.
Pros
Great colleagues.
Cons
Not positive work environment
Long hours, Working through lunch breaks but good work culture with everyone willing to help out in different departments. Positive is once work was finished it stayed at work.
Pros
Team events
Cons
Working at David Jones provides you with a lot of opportunities to develop your interpersonal and professional skills for future employment. It is a positive work environment and very productive.
I enjoy working at David Jones I have worked in all stores and am now at Karrinyup. The store needs refurbishment but the team and managers are all great to work with and I have a great team in menswear . Everyone in this store helps each other and we sometimes help in other departments . Overall the store feels like a family . Nice products to sell and lots of product training .
Pros
Great team and managers . Staff discount is great
Cons
Old store that needs repairs
No staff, no one new hired for a very long time, lot of pressure on existing team members, very unhappy customers. Constant customer complaints for lack of service, usually only one or two team member only looking after an entire department.
Pros
Great discount
Cons
No support from management
my sales manager always found a way to put me down and let me know how I wasn't good enough, I felt bullied. I tried to grow in the business but my manager was never on the floor and bullied staff. other staff members could see this. I moved to another big department store and it is the complete opposite. DONT WORK AT DAVID JONES. you can find a much better career.
Pros
other employees on the same level as me appreciated my work
Cons
managers didn't give a s**t about employees in the lower position.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at David Jones. Our community is ready to answer.