David Jones Employee Reviews for Sales Professional

Excellent Working Environment and Culture
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Sydney NSW31 May 2019
Best work place culture. It's a fun place to work at with amazing colleague who always have your back. The amount of things you learn at work is a lot and very beneficial for enhancung your communication skills and boosting your confidence.
Pros
-Good Salary -Good Management -Good Work place culture -Supportive Colleagues
Cons
Tough to work if you do not have fairly good communication skills
Nice seasonal job
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Canberra ACT10 October 2018
This job was good over the busy Christmas period, however after this the amount of customers significantly dropped and most days were spent tidying and filling stock.
Pros
Nice people and culture
Cons
Tedious and not much scope for career advancement.
Far better to be a shopper than employee
Sales professional (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC3 April 2018
Chances for advancement are nearly nil unless you’re someone the other managers want to have lunch with. YES! That’s basically how advancement works, not through skill or ability, but by being someone who other managers think would make good lunch company.

Seem to always be willing to transfer someone else in from another department to fill a vacancy or worse, hire externally, rather than giving addition working hours to experienced staff who already know the job.

Be prepared to work under managers who have no idea what you do, or even how you do your job on a day to day basis.

Look forward to basic IT necessities not working, you’ll forget to get things ordered for customers because the computers will crash so many times in the process, you’ll eventually forget what you were using it for in the first place.

Have your own company undermine and undercut your job by advertising a deal on your own company’s website that is not available in store, be bombarded by customers visiting in store or calling on the phone (trying to keep you in a job) asking you to do the website deal when there is absolutely no way you can.

Be hired for a retail sales role and discover that the most important part of your job is actually selling financial services (credit cards and interest free offers), no manager will commend you on achieving the massive sales targets, but they’ll hound you until you sign up a poor shopper to a 22% $99 annual fee credit card.

My store had a resident regional manager, store manager, two sell related managers, an LPO manager, a regional LPO manager, a
  more... finance manager, a planning manager, an admin manager. Below them there were a logistics manager and 11 sales managers, with at least 23 assistant sales managers - all for about 300 staff in total.

Christmas party or other staff interaction outside work is basically non existent.
Pros
10% staff discount, 20% in some areas
Cons
AMEX card selling. Be prepared to only be assured of Christmas Day and Good Friday off
great team members and managers, great atmosphere
Sales Professional (Former Employee) –  Woden ACT13 November 2017
typical day involved focusing on any stock that was required to be done. during the hours of 11-3 customer service and sales was our main priority. after that, tidying and more stock work was again the focus. hardest party of the job was trying to sell the idea of signing up for store cards to customers as well as keeping on top of acquiring customer emails.
Pros
good break hours, great managers
Cons
trying to sign customers up for store cards
ok
Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Sydney Central Business District NSW29 March 2017
Depending on what floor you work on, I believe the Managers and Supervisors make the difference on your work day, some people do stock and others just make sales and hog tills.......

They know which counters make money and which ones are an island..... Stuck in no mans land ? staying in your Zone ? I have never been in customer service where I stay in my Zone, I want my customer to have a full experience so I will stay until they are satisfied and ready to give me their email number or to sign up for a card and handover their money.

Dont give up, some colleagues work five hours and never touch a rail of stock or a trolley full of new products, we know who we are !!!!

Hang in there while looking for another job !!!!! I am !!!!!
Pros
days off
Cons
weekends and public holidays
David Jones is a fast paced professional environment where attention to little detailed and great customer skills is highly regarded.
Professional Sales Staff, Elizabeth Street (Former Employee) –  Sydney City NSW10 January 2017
David Jones provides a professional environment where employees learn attention to detail, great customer service and teamwork skills. A typical day begins with stock being collected from the basement to stock on any products that may be low on stock, during the hours of 11am-2pm employees sole purpose is to provide ultimate customer service, where employees are purely focued on the customers, the rest of the day attention is turned to making the shop impeccable, attention to detail is highly regarded. The Manager's were constantly in check with the employee's allowing positive relationships to be obtained between Management and employees. Co-workers were all very nice to work with, good communication is key in a job to ensure everyone works well together in the environment and to get the job done.
Pros
20% off
David Jones intro
Sales Assistant/Professional Menswear (Current Employee) –  indooroopily9 October 2016
a typical day consists of tidying your section
chatting to customers and co workers
management are by the book so it keeps any personal issues out of the picture
co-workers all seemed to be equal
Pros
great culture
Cons
your just a number
Challenging and rewarding
Sales assistant and professional bra fitter (Current Employee) –  Adelaide Central Plaza10 August 2015
David Jones is generally a great place to work.
A typical day at work includes communicating with co-workers and upper management,as well as customers. Stock handling and working with a target budget in mind is also a few of the many things I do. Having the ability to juggle a few different things at a time is essential for this position. The hardest element of this job is the uncertainty casual workers face with gaining enough hours of work. David Jones does not have any minimum hours policy for their casual workers which means that very often, these people can find themselves out of work for a few months at a time. All of this depends on the season, how many other employers are contracted on part time or full time work and whether the target budget has been met. The most enjoyable element of this job is being able to meet and communicate so many interesting people who could be employers or customers. I anticipate the times where I am able to help a customer find exactly what they want. The satisfaction they get from purchasing their desired product is enough to make my day at work enjoyable. Most other employees are easy to get along with, and I feel I connect with them on a very personal level.
Pros
Great staff and department level managers/supervisors.
Cons
Casual hours are often unbalanced.
DJ's
Retail Sales Professional (Current Employee) –  Sydney24 November 2014
There is no other store like David Jones.
A nice place to work for.