David Jones
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

David Jones Employee Reviews for Sales Representative

Sales Representative9 reviews
Part-time worker was good as our shifts were guaranteed but when applying for annual leave, management rarely checks them which is troubling because in the end, they will blame it on you for not doing it "earlier" and tell you to find other employees to take your shift. Long hours and is tiring if you do a 9:30 to 7pm shift. Good pay once you're 20 though. Casuals only get one shift a week in the quieter months though. A lot of talking behind people's backs in the workplace and managers play favourites. This would be fine until they make it too obvious. They will give shifts to those they like and joke around with them during the shifts but will tell you off or order you around if you're not their "favourite". Super unprofessional. Also A LOT of upper management walking around the floors so be ready to dress professionally and be on your best behaviour. I felt like I was working at an office on certain days because it is a very professional workplace. Don't think they are like other retailers where you can slack off. I've only been working here for a little less than a year and the other girls with me want to leave already. We're just tired of the workplace. Same routine, typical rude customers, tiring and nothing new. Wish we had longer breaks since we work an all-day shift.
Initially I was not paid for the hours and hours I spent training. Some of that training was even spent on the floor! So, basically they tried to me as free labour. I repeatedly raised this issue with my manager because we were not allowed to contact payroll directly. It took her almost three months to forward the email on to payroll. Then the payroll employee she contacted went on leave and could not action it for another three months. Does only one person work in payroll in this huge organisation? Then you will find yourself axed when you finally force the issue! But hey, that was all just a coincidence, right? No, they took issue with the fact that your area was untidy when Visual Merchandising came to visit before opening one morning. No mention of the fact that you were only rostered on for five hours on the previous day. Two and a half of those were spent downstairs in the freezing cold handing out flyers, and the other half was spent trying to make sales targets. I was on my hands and knees in the babywear section trying to tidy it up when a woman approached me asking how to order a pram. I went into that section and lo and behold no staff were available. When one finally showed up she had no clue how to do it, so I called my manager for help. Did she come? no, and while I was busy with someone else that staff member told her to come back the next day. Somehow I got the blame for that as well!!
Very bad experience, incredibly inhuman treatment of by the regional manager. They expect you to always wear and buy a suit even though you are only employed for 25 hours a week, and on two months contract. No black snekears, only leather shoe and you cant sit down or walk around for 10 hour shift. Direct manager are more understanding but the regional manager treat you like garbage. She will confiscate your phone with your credit card in the phone sleeves for having your phone on the desk even though you explained that you were helping the customer looking at the online store earlier.
The expectation is very much that you will live and breathe the brand. The team is lovely to work with, but stretched incredibly thin. Extreme pressure is placed on employees to push customers to apply for the David Jones American Express cards.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Low remuneration
I spent 4 years at david jones and learn a lot of things about humans and selling to them. There are many different personality types and i have encounted all of them. David jones has taught me the true meaning of customer service, and how to sell to all different type of personalities.
Pros
great people, great work environment, good lunch room
Cons
other staff not doing there job properly which makes your job a bit harder
One of the best working experiences i've had, as retail is a passion for me, the staff is very professional and welcoming, i learnt a lot in the retail industry that will definitely help me in the future
Pros
had 2 of my friends working with me
Cons
getting to the location of work wasnt as easy
the most enjoyable part of my job is to interact with customers daily and giving them information according to their needs
bur more often than not customers insist on having their way,whether or not it complies with our company rules.

management is ok though sometimes we wished it could have been better
Pros
sometimes too much stock to unload
Cons
not enough hours given
Gave me the opportunity to enhance my exisiting customer service skills and sales skills. Fellow employees are more than friendly which made it easier to team collaborate.
Pros
Long breaks for casual worker
Enjoyed working with David Jones lots of great people I met along my journey. Management was great and very friendly. Met a lot of friends also no complaints
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at David Jones?