Department of Conservation
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Conservation Employee Reviews

New Zealand10 reviews
Great place to work, amazing beautifull spots too work at, helping maintain our beautifull area and country, we had a great team where we all supported each other!
Pros
Onsite lunch room
Typical day at work: log onto the computer and open emails open the safe set up the reception desk collect the mail and open sort and disperse mail answer email, phone and over counter queries assist with arranging meetings ordering stationary and uniforms hunting permits organise staff travel invoicing creating files for staff and human resources Management: Excellent support and training great work place culture and support. I really enjoyed the job but as we (my partner and our child) were relocating to the bay I couldn't stay on.
Pros
excellent people to work with
Cons
compliance and spreadsheets
Development of Quality Management Systems to ensure that the New Zealand environment remains in good condition for future generations and ensuring the propagation of indigenous plant species free from the risk of being overwhelmed by invasive plant species (weeds)
DOC has very friendly workplace environment and I learned lot of new things related to the project coordination which I was not experienced before. It was very challenging and exiting opportunity.
Awesome team, great company culture and feel that the work I do is appreciated. It is a very inspiring working environment with free coffee and tea and friendly people.
Pros
free refreshments
Meeting travelling people who would be tramping through our National Parks, Driving and working and being at some beautiful spots.
Pros
uniform, vehicle
Cons
only seasonal
I worked with a great group of people and I've learned so much from them. They were helpful and friendly and we had lots of good times. Management isn't the best in my opinion although there many good people in this position, the one that I know of wasn't able to manage people at the professional level required. Getting to know the work, because of all the facets to it was hard, but once learned it became fun.
Pros
Learn about and visit some of the most beautiful places on Earth
Searched and destroyed weeds, laid baits to track possum and getting paid to get fit
this was a very good exprenice for me because it was getting out and doing hands on work, the boos was very nice and help full in every way possible
Pros
working hands on and working out doors
Cons
non
A typical day at work involves checking emails and mail and responding to theses, processing loans and interloans, updating databases, shelving, team meetings once a week and workshops. - I learned team building skills and team spiritmanship. - Management is friendly and helpful. Co-workers are friendly, helpful and cooperative. - The hardest part of the job is when there are too many request from both library and records and everybody is busy and there is no one to assist with workload. the most enjoyable part is that there is always someone to help if you do not know how to do things
Pros
Free Coffee/milo for morning and afternoon tea, free lunches once in a while and good opportunities for professional development
Cons
Fixed term contracts and temps do not benefit from professional development