Department of Justice and Community Safety
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Department of Justice and Community Safety Employee Reviews

The job is team focused, stressful at times, stable, management is not always supportive, the culture is sometimes not positive, male dominated, shiftwork, good people to work with overall.
Pros
stable job
Cons
long hours, stressful
Although there were numerous bureaucratic processes relating to government systems with decisions made by state officials, project teams worked well together.
Pros
Continuous learning and "Know How" Forums open to all
Cons
Bureaucracy and delays in approvals
Take the small wins when you get them.

The job itself is very rewarding and seeing that you are making a change is great feeling.

It is a very fast paced environment, however, the team is great and very supportive.
While the intention to support youth within the justice precinct is in theory a wonderful opportunity, the reality is that it is highly dangerous and the caliber of staff are generally not highly educated or concerned with maintaining high levels of integrity.
If nepotism is your thing, give Corrections Victoria a ring. It is full of ego and legends in their own mind people. They think they are police and they are so far from the truth. Bullying is condoned and gross negligence is covered up.
I think working in this environment is very stressful and dangerous. Unpredictable young people's behaviors sometimes can cause an assault on other people as well as staff. Placing different your people with different issues and backgrounds is unsafe.
Shift work is essential, week end work is required. Yearly training essential. Lots of variety of work experience. Prisoners are easier to manage than staff. Management to not support staff effectively.
it is a productive and active workplace, very busy. we had a lot of clients, get to meet new people, help people, and also talk to people and give them advice
not now. I will provide an assessment in future. There has been a period of transformation occurring in the department. When things settle, I will provide a review.
Management nothing but picks it u get sick as a permanent employee and run out of sick... Stay away from this role. U will be casually employee at best.. If u are a bum. Licker 'you will get a head..
I worked at Corrections Victoria, Forensic Intervention Service and used to be called Specialised Offender Assessment and Treatment Service. The management there are bully and unfriendly. You wont have a say at work and they constantly make threat to put you under performance if you cannot make 100% KPI. Some seniors there have been there for so long and they lost their passion. When you ask them questions, they would just ignore you. Worst place to work.
Love coming in everyday to a supportive team environment. Amazing support from everyone. Clean amenities. Convenience of a cafe, kitchen and spacious work space. No pressure from Leaders, they are just as supportive as ever gone else. Love this job.
Shift worker
9 day fortnight working 80hrs

Two 12hr shifts and seven 8hr shifts

Sometimes can get 4-5 days off straight without touching leave.

Get 5 weeks of annual leave per year plus LIL for every public holiday.
Job development only happens if you know someone regardless of skills, experience or knowledge. Job culture is very poor at our location. Care factor is zero. Lots of very unhappy people.
Pros
Use to be the overtime
Cons
Way too many inexperienced staff, dangerous.
- Always flexible with working hours, working from home and when needing to take leave.

- I found HR supportive and the department very culturally inclusive which I loved.

- If you are on fixed term it is hard to secure an ongoing position without having to go through a panel interview, even if you are already working in the position
DJSC is a great place to work but it's in a state of flux and the vision is not clear. It's a work in progress and I expect to see a much better workplace by the end of 2019.
There's significant lack of resources in training and ensuring staff development outside of internal training mechanism. There's a lot of autonomy in higher VPS roles but also a lack of guidance or mentorship from executives or senior management.

Overall it's a great place to work if you land on a good project but that's not always guaranteed
Pros
flexible work environment, autonomy
Cons
lack of staff development
Bullying culture protected by HR, Senior Management and Leadership Executives. The department brags to care about their employees and their Mental Health but the fact is if you work here you'll end up suffering with mental health issue yourself.

You are not allowed to be yourself. Even your hello or good morning (which are basic professional traits) might end up offending someone.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Bullying and bad working culture
The salary offered could never make up for the lack of training, nepotism and downward envy from people who have been in positions they are not qualified for too long.

The turnover of staff should be seen as an indicator of performance of management, not the staff they supposedly look after (when they are not too busy at the tennis, on the boards of companies and "working from home").

If you want to sit around earning too much money to prove that you can take a two hour lunch or reduce the new recruits to tears by assigning tasks without support, this is the perfect job for you. If you want to actually do your job, up skill and work as a team, keep walking because despite policy and guidelines that say you will be doing these things you'll be too busy pulling knives out of your back (and front) to do your job.

Don't expect to be rewarded for experience because that is threatening to the stuffy arrogant seasoned bullies who will use it to make you look like a know it all or segregate you until you question your abilities and don't expect your executive management to have any qualifications appropriate for the job they get paid for or have any issues dealt with by HR (have a look at how many lawyers work for HR, that'll tell you how much money they spend protecting the vile culture that is as accepted as the "casual racism" and high turnover).

Apart from that, it's a beautiful place to work if you ignore the previous statements...
Pros
Three hours of lunch if you are invited.
Cons
Bullying protected, racism, ignorance and incompetent management leading to injury.
good organization with career opportunities to improve and expand on Organizational skills. Their are many forms of Human Contact within this organization and gives the operator to challenge and be challenged,

A great form of Employment to become and experience the Human side of managing.
Pros
life's exsperiances
Cons
getting familiar with WITH A CLIENT.
I would have to admit, with only ever working at the Department of Justice and Regulation as my first ever role in the public sector, it is not what I was expecting (in a good way)!

The work we do is complex, can be dealing with some confronting yet realistic issues in our community, but for my own personal motivations the positive impact my role makes on the community far outweighs receiving monthly bonuses and overspent budgets on breakfasts and drinks in the private sector.

Negatives, we do have some old kitchen appliances, no free fruit, TV, bar fridge, and... we still use Lotus Notes. We do however, have great ergonomic chairs fitted individually by our OH&S team, new anti-glare screens (two if required) coupled by a funny, relaxed team with a wealth of expertise who give you the autonomy you need (in my experience) to deliver new, innovative and different ideas to keep the department evolving and vibrant.
Pros
Cons
old kitchen appliances, no free fruit, Tv, bar fridge, and... we still use Lotus Notes
very supportive environment and learned a lot of on the job skills
good culture and very supportive people '

great induction package and car parking for staff
Pros
flexible work
Cons
high stress
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Justice and Community Safety. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9