Department of Justice and Community Safety

Public Servant (Former Employee) –  Ravenhall6 September 2019
Shift worker
9 day fortnight working 80hrs
Two 12hr shifts and seven 8hr shifts
Sometimes can get 4-5 days off straight without touching leave.
Get 5 weeks of annual leave per year plus LIL for every public holiday.
No transparency
Senior Prison officer (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC13 July 2019
Job development only happens if you know someone regardless of skills, experience or knowledge. Job culture is very poor at our location. Care factor is zero. Lots of very unhappy people.
Pros
Use to be the overtime
Cons
Way too many inexperienced staff, dangerous.
Bullying Culture
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC7 November 2018
Bullying culture protected by HR, Senior Management and Leadership Executives. The department brags to care about their employees and their Mental Health but the fact is if you work here you'll end up suffering with mental health issue yourself.

You are not allowed to be yourself. Even your hello or good morning (which are basic professional traits) might end up offending someone.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Bullying and bad working culture
Culture of bullying protected by HR
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 September 2018
The salary offered could never make up for the lack of training, nepotism and downward envy from people who have been in positions they are not qualified for too long.

The turnover of staff should be seen as an indicator of performance of management, not the staff they supposedly look after (when they are not too busy at the tennis, on the boards of companies and "working from home").

If you want to sit around earning too much money to prove that you can take a two hour lunch or reduce the new recruits to tears by assigning tasks without support, this is the perfect job for you. If you want to actually do your job, up skill and work as a team, keep walking because despite policy and guidelines that say you will be doing these things you'll be too busy pulling knives out of your back (and front) to do your job.

Don't expect to be rewarded for experience because that is threatening to the stuffy arrogant seasoned bullies who will use it to make you look like a know it all or segregate you until you question your abilities and don't expect your executive management to have any qualifications appropriate for the job they get paid for or have any issues dealt with by HR (have a look at how many lawyers work for HR, that'll tell you how much money they spend protecting the vile culture that is as accepted as the "casual racism" and high turnover).

Apart from that, it's a beautiful place to work if you ignore the previous statements...
Pros
Three hours of lunch if you are invited.
Cons
Bullying protected, racism, ignorance and incompetent management leading to injury.
Passionate, relaxed yet high performing place to work
Employment Maketing Adviser (Current Employee) –  Top floor of 121 Exhibition St31 July 2018
I would have to admit, with only ever working at the Department of Justice and Regulation as my first ever role in the public sector, it is not what I was expecting (in a good way)!

The work we do is complex, can be dealing with some confronting yet realistic issues in our community, but for my own personal motivations the positive impact my role makes on the community far outweighs receiving monthly bonuses and overspent budgets on breakfasts and drinks in the private sector.

Negatives, we do have some old kitchen appliances, no free fruit, TV, bar fridge, and... we still use Lotus Notes. We do however, have great ergonomic chairs fitted individually by our OH&S team, new anti-glare screens (two if required) coupled by a funny, relaxed team with a wealth of expertise who give you the autonomy you need (in my experience) to deliver new, innovative and different ideas to keep the department evolving and vibrant.
Pros
Cons
old kitchen appliances, no free fruit, Tv, bar fridge, and... we still use Lotus Notes
department of justice
Regional Youth Support Officer (Former Employee) –  geelong3 July 2018
very supportive environment and learned a lot of on the job skills
good culture and very supportive people '
great induction package and car parking for staff
Pros
flexible work
Cons
high stress
Training and Support with career development
Manager (Current Employee) –  Broadmeadows VIC26 March 2018
Overall a good employer with opportunities for work/life balance. Some improvement needed in the quality of staff recruited for base grade roles as this impacts on community safety
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
n/a
Secure employment...if permanent
Business Support Manager (Current Employee) –  Melbourne VIC19 February 2018
Great job with the right support.
Unfortunately, some areas are top heavy and some of the upper management tend to be a little less transparent in their actions than one would expect of a person of their station.
Difficult work environment within a maximum security correctional facility
Justice Officer (VPS Grade 2) (Former Employee) –  Lara VIC21 June 2017
Have spent previous two and a half years working in the Stores & Records wing of the Barwon Prison being a maximum security correctional facility. My position as a VPS2 employee offers little in the way of professional development and advancement. The work I performed in this role was onerous, labour intensive and not appropriately rewarded in respect of salary and conditions
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Long hours with little opportunity of professional development & advancement
Tough working conditions
Casual Youth Justice Worker (Current Employee) –  Parkville VIC13 June 2017
Long 12 hour shifts with only an hour lunch break, you could possibly work 8 hours before getting your lunch break.
Very little room for growth and personal development.
Poor work culture with lots of employees off on stress leave or with work related injuries.
Pros
penalties for working weekends
Cons
long hours poor pay and bad management
do not work there
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Carlton VIC2 January 2017
Use to be a good place as had a great PMO team, but the managers who put the team in place all left and there is now no competent people running the PMO. Its not a happy environment anymore.

The business also distrust their IT people due to historical issues from previous failed projects. Its a constant battle.
Pros
great carlton location
Cons
management, difficult stakeholders to all projects
Fast paced environment
EMV - Executive Assistant to Commissioner (Current Employee) –  Melbourne City Centre VIC22 November 2016
Very fast paced environment, you are never bored and the work is high level and never dull. The culture is great and very inspiriing
Best Job I have ever had
Team Leader Records and Property (Current Employee) –  Deer Park VIC10 February 2016
Very hard to leave such a great working environment.
I met great some lovely people, and the benefits and flexibility were great.
High-stress, busy, but friendly and warm environment.
Community Corrections Officer (Current Employee) –  Frankston, VIC5 October 2015
Working as a Community Corrections Officer has it's ups and downs.
I enjoy the client facing aspect of the role, and my favourite part about this role is the difference I have been able to make for people who are in the wrong path of life when they are given their orders. I enjoy watching the change in the clients and seeing the development with their situations, lives, and the progression of their orders.
The most difficult part of the role would be handling clients who do not believe they are meant to be on an order and protest any attempts to assist them.
The people I work with are wonderful and friendly, despite the high levels of stress that comes with a role such as this. The entire office makes it easy to learn and feel comfortable to ask any questions.
A typical day would involve scheduling appointments for client supervision and reporting, a lot of e-mailing correspondence with various business units and health care professionals, meeting client needs where possible and seeing clients for various reasons, among other tasks.
Pros
Making a positive impact on difficult situations for a variety of people.
Cons
Highly stressful role.
Good Team atmosphere
Community Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Wangaratta, VIC8 June 2015
- Requires more manning and pay.

The staff present at the location I worked was positive and upbeat and got on with an impossible caseload with what they had to use.
Pros
Location to family home, day shift only.
Cons
The huge caseloads and walkin cliental

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Department of Justice and Community Safety. Our community is ready to answer.