Dollar Tree

Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Showing all 23,263 reviews

Enjoyed the Work, but not the Pay

I liked working at the Dollar Store in Sterling Park Va. The customers were friendly, my manager was nice and the cash register was very easy to use. Why I left was because the hours and money were awful and there wasn’t that much of an opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Easy work, nice manager and coworkers, friendly customers

Cons

Below average pay, lack of hours, benefits

Good Company

The company itself is pretty good its just the pay that isn't ideal due to a lack of reliable income. Overall the qualifications and expectations just about anyone can fit into however it's a matter of how reliable you are as a worker

Pros

Guaranteed break time, reliable employers

Cons

Short breaks, questionable customers, unreliable income

Productive and caring work environment

We all get along .coworkers will take time to help if needed and also managers.we all laugh and joke around just overall a great vibe to be around .families will come in and be treated as if we all are family

Pros

They bought snacks for the whole team and we all worked as a family

Cons

Mandatory breaks we shouldn’t have to take a break if we don’t wanna

What is the best part of working at the company?People were nice, easy money and flexible schedules, good benefitsWhat is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not enough start off pay for what you do.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Very good. People.i worked with are very kind.What is a typical day like for you at the company?Shifts were just 5 hours a piece and that's just enough for myself.

Ups & Downs

It’s fun and time goes by fast. There’s always going to be rude customers so be prepared. Overall, a good place to work at when doing a part-time job or a side job.

Staffing issues

Not a difficult job, and enjoyed our regular customers. But the staffing was a nightmare due to low hourly wage. The hours you needed to personally cover ruined any work/life balance.

productive and fun workplace

I liked working here. The pay was excellent, and the room for growth was plenty. Most people only stayed working there for a few weeks at a time, but the ones the job "clicked" with, ended up being their career starting points in warehousing.

What is the best part of working at the company?Relaxed atmosphere.What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Bottom of the barrel pay rates.What is the work environment and culture like at the company?Generally, there's a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Sometimes stressful situations develop when some managers—ASMs, Store Managers, District Managers—do only the bare minimum to get by, leaving the work for others.What is a typical day like for you at the company?I spent most of my time processing freight, assigning stocking to other employees, and stocking shelves. Occasionally I watched the cash register when fellow employees needed their breaks or lunches or when business picked up.

A decent place if you need extra cash

Dollar tree was an okay place to work. I worked two locations: Richmond, VA and Bowie, MD. I say okay and not great because both locations had managers that were either inappropriate or just straight rude. Be prepared to deal with managers that are in their late 40s-60s who are very upset that they run a Dollar Tree for a living. Other than that, it’s light work.

It is a good starter job

It is a great starter job to build retail experience. But don't do it for the pay. The management can be spotty, but overall it is a decent company: if you are on retirement, it's your 1st job, or you're in college.

Pros

Fun memories

Cons

Bad pay

Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Dollar Tree?

New and love it

So excited to be apart of something great. The interview was amazing nothing negative was said to me. Very transparent. Love their feedback. Very flexible. Great salary.

What is the best part of working at the company?Manager treated me and other employees like trash. Would not recommend. What is the most stressful part about working at the company?Not being trained and wasn't giving help when I asked the manager what to do. What is a typical day like for you at the company?I was the only one working up front. The manager was in the office doing other things.

okay place to work

depending on where you work, you might only get 10 hours to work and no one can survive off of just 10 hours at $9/hr. get prepared to fight for hours.

it's a good place to start working based on the managers you have

friendly place to work ...based on managers and assistant managers you have ...cause they change usually rapidly,if you have a good kind manager ,it's a good place to start having experience in retail market

Job was terrible

Pay was terrible for the amount of work expected. They do not care about employees at all. New employees come in all the time to replace the ones that constantly quit

Fun place to work

Busy and upbeat place to work. Everyone gets along very well. A good place to work if you are a crafter or someone who likes to search out good deals.

Great first job but dont stay to long

If you're stocking it's pretty good The pay is low but but they're asking isn't much.If you're cashiering it's really stressful. You're constantly covering people's shifts that call out. There's not enough hours to give to cashiers and not enough freighters to get stock out.If you show your consistent at showing up then you'll be given more hours than someone who calls it all the time.It's really good for your first job. It doesn't pay enough to be living on your own, even if you're an assistant manager.

Pros

Very flexible with calling in for hourly associates

Cons

The company expects way too much and doesn't provide enough

Great Job with manageable pay

The work is easy, mainly cashiering but you do also stock and clean up the store. The management is amazing and the employees are just as amazing. The pay isn't horrible for the work but could do with more hours.

It a okay job

We are very understaff and the lines are mostly always to the back of the store and the management is fine but it is always someone quitting and but it really boost my cashiering skill

Fun

Great place to shop and work. Loved seeing the new products come in and place them on the shelf. Christmas time is the best with all the new ornaments

Low stress job

I have great customers. Always thanking me for my smile and positive outlook along with my conversation with the customers and their children. There are a ton of regular customers with kids and I like making the parents and kids happy by remembering them.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

• Dollar Tree
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?