Dollar Tree
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Dollar Tree Employee Reviews

3.2Work–Life Balance

Showing all 21,654 reviews

Enjoyed the Work, but not the Pay

I liked working at the Dollar Store in Sterling Park Va. The customers were friendly, my manager was nice and the cash register was very easy to use. Why I left was because the hours and money were awful and there wasn’t that much of an opportunity for advancement.

Pros

Easy work, nice manager and coworkers, friendly customers

Cons

Below average pay, lack of hours, benefits

An okay place to work

It’s not the worst job and it’s not the best. I liked the monotony of it at times, and preferred stocking or doing gobacks over working the register. The worst parts were having a backed up line, someone buying tons of stuff including glass that had to be wrapped while lines were long, and people needing balloons blown up while the lines were long.

Fair part-time job,perfect for first time workers

when i started at dollar tree,it was my first time working. It was pretty easy to get a grove going to how to work. The coworkers are easy to get along with,and manager is very nice

Pros

Easy going perfect for part-time pretty laid back work enviroment

Cons

after the holidays, our hours got really cut short

Terrible company

Terrible management Rude and disrespectful managers Doesn’t like helping if you need help Can’t trust anybody in the company Doesn’t pay enough for what they expect you to do

Simple job with simple tasks

it’s dollar tree. like most jobs it depends on who you work with that really makes the job. my management kind of sucks and i hear around the company that’s usually the case. store managers make all the lower managers do their job while they sit in the office. it’s not bad and pretty mellow for a retail job but i don’t like working with customers anymore. especially after the prices went up and our paychecks didn’t. not good hours. barely anything during off season and they call you in/work you like a dog excessively if you actually do your job. if you’re reliable they WILL rely on you. you may need the money but put your mental health first. job became too exhausting with the negative work energy and inconsistent schedule.

Pros

mainly cashiering, recovery and stocking. tolerable if you make friends

Cons

they leave you alone a lot while it’s busy, bad scheduling, negative work environment unless with cool people

Easy place to work, but too much running around

The location i worked at was very to get hired at, and the work was easy too. The managers and co workers were nice. The problem with the job is being overworked with little pay, and the location. I did not like the location i worked at. As a sales associate, you have to to cashier and stocking. Depending on the shift you work will determine how much you stock. I worked from 1:30-4:30pm and that was the busiest shift. I barely had time to do anything else. The morning and night shift were the better shifts to work.

Pros

Easy work, short work hours

Cons

Short breaks, little pay

Mal ambiente

No me agrado el trabajar hay demasiado estrés laboral y poco personal

Dollar store. Good job to have for experience but, can be stressful

If you want a job that can help you get experience in a fair amount of things it’s good. Pay was kinda bad. And could be very stressful. But, it’s definitely a good job to have to get experience for sure.

If you have the patience, sure.

Ever since I joined this place I have been emotionally drained. The customers are rude knowing you are the only cashier at the time, and the managers will sit there and watch you clear out an entire line that reaches the back of the store.

Good Company great culture

Dollar tree is a decent company , was able to get plenty of overtime . Company could offer more room for advancement . Overall had a pleasant experience

Cons

Over time and flexibility

It’s very easy but the pay is not good. Also, not enough hours

Easy Job, you basically do the same thing everyday. They only give part time which is like 4-5 hours. Get paid bi- weekly. I would stay if the pay was higher.

Pros

Easy

Cons

Short breaks, not enough hours

There is no leadership, team work, and there is favourtism there.

There's a lot of stress in this job working with customers, coworkers who don't help, and old tills that hardly work.Because there's no team work and leadership in this store it makes it a difficult place to work.

Pros

I can't think of any!

Cons

The whole store let alone company is a con.

Typical retail job run by corporate higher ups... that have no idea what's going on

Started out a great job, but ended up being a sad disappointment 😞 I enjoy working around people and have done so all my life in various jobs, but I can say this one has topped the cake. And it had everything to do with management. Its not an open door policy there as they claim, unless you don't mind everyone knowing your business afterwards. And its definitely a Do as I say, not as I do, type of place. I enjoy my customers very very much...and a few of us "left over" employees all enjoy working together. But the rest is like working for a RomperRoom management. If you're not in their clique OR if you upset one of them, you'll be given no hours or the very minimum. (4 hrs) for the week

Pros

only pros I can say is that it was close to home, and at the time the hours were good, and most of the time they would work with you if you needed time off

Cons

Schedule always changed even after it was posted, hours fluctuated and mostly given to those that are closest to the manager 1st, Very Clique"y", constantly criticized, talked about, very family "run" I say this because almost everyone working there is related to one another, don't expect any praise on a job well done, you'll only hear what you're doing wrong and how and why

El peor trabajo q he tenido ,no lo recomiendo.

Me robaron horas de trabajo ,mi tiempo ,y sacrificio ,mi trabajo era medio tiempo y trabajaba tiempo completo, lo comico es q me pagaban medio tiempo 260 o 300 dolares maximo en una quincena. CUANDO DEVERIA SER 300 A LA SEMANA ,Haaaa y muy importante si hicistes mas de las horas q tenias q hacer entraban al cistema y te quitaban las horas q habias hecho de mas terminabas trabajando mas por poco $ .

Exactly what I wanted and needed for a career

Definitely a company to make a "career" out of. You get the results that you generate. It is hard, yet rewarding. Friendly staff, management and customers. You get to see all sorts of new and cool products!

Pros

Pride in what you accomplish. Great management and staff

Cons

No cons for me

Even if the pay was good I'd never go back unless they got a new head manager

The job is ok at best. Vary easy when it comes down to it. Always seems to be understaffed in the worst places. Its a good place to start if you need to get some cashier experience.

Pros

The job is easy

Cons

its easy work but you often end up doing other peoples job. 10 minute breaks, you can only get a 30 minute lunch break if you work up to or over 6 hours

Decent part-time job in a small store

Working at Dollar Tree is great way to start working. I was in a good store and my manager and co workers were helpful. The hours are very and they will work with you around your school schedule.

Pros

Easy to work in a small store

Cons

Sometimes you get bad customers who complain. No room for growth unless you want to be a manager.

Depending on store location and management ,this is a great company to work for.

I have had a great experience working for dollar tree. I have recieved several promotions so far. My store has awesome customers and a great team of employees to run the store.

Good coworkers and responsive managers.

It's a great place to work, especially if you are just starting out. The job is not difficult and the people working there are friendly and willing to help.

Great first time job for young people.

-A typical day at work isn't to stressful, although you might have to wrap forty glasses up while other people wait.-I learned some people skills and how to use a register. -I love my managers and assist. Managers. -Hardest part of the job entitled customers. -Pay close attention to the money you put in the register, and stand your ground when needed. Had an elderly person steal ten dollars from me by insisting I was handed a twenty and then screaming about it.

Pros

Nice managers. Don't expect the weekend off ever again though.

Cons

Recovering stock after someone trashes an isle is annoying. Low pay. Not enough hours.

Opportunity to grow

A very fun culture where everyone tries to get along. Management was very understanding of my issues and tried to work with me. Flexible scheduling and routine days. The hardest part was the price change where customers got upset. The best part was the growth I gained.

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Dollar Tree. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5