DoubleTree by Hilton
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

DoubleTree by Hilton Employee Reviews in Southampton

Everyone I actually worked with were brilliant, hard workers but it seemed that management couldn't cope with running a hotel AND restaurant. Often over-worked and understaffed. Not the best pay for the amount of work we had to do.
Pros
Free food after shift ends
Cons
Often long hours
Bullied by my manager, they didn’t care about you as person or your well-being and the hotel guests were a nightmare. The hotel would bit off more than it could chew and had more complaints than praises also.
Issues range from payroll staff (offsite) making mistakes, all non-management level staff have minimum wage, no matter what their position which causes discourse and a lack of incentive to perform. Constantly firefighting ridiculous issues and complaints that should never arise. Staff turnover is very high so constantly training staff or relying on agency staff.
As a night team member I was never included in any team building activities felt like the forgotten department that everyone came to to fix there issues. Salary was deducted for no reason and overtime wasn't paid even for working Christmas & new years, worked every weekend while department heads and GM had every weekend off. Even after leaving I'm still waiting for my final pay but have been ignored every step of the way. Be prepared to loose your life and never see your children.
Don’t let the GM trick you into thinking that this double tree Hilton Southampton is good, because guess what. ITS NOT. The staff turnover is horrific because of how you are treated, you are just a number and the GM will not value you at all, he will use you until you are exhausted. He makes out everything’s so great but hadn’t actually seen anything’s get replaced? Don’t be deceived by the job description! All you read is a lie! Only apply if you wanted to be treated poorly. Horrendous hotel with horrendous management at all costs for your mental and physical well being, DONT WORK HERE! GM only cares about himself and actually takes money of you descretly so you will be working and not be getting paid properly!
Cons
Avoid this hotel if you value your physical and mental wellbeing. The main issues stem from management, or more specifically, the GM. I cannot comprehend how this indidual remains in his position of power. Every department in the hotel suffers from a lack of staff, training and funding. It is no surprise that the HoD in almost every respective area has left the company over the past 6 months - the turnover rate in hotels is understandable, but every employee seems to present the same reasons for leaving... *cough* GM *cough* The staff work hours to suit the business, and are required to use holiday when requested (i.e. Mid-Jan/Feb). Funnily enough, the GM reserves his holiday to use during all of Xmas and new year (I mean, he does work the hardest, right?). One member of f+b decided he would work ridiculous hours to support the hotel, and was offered (by two HoD) free stays overnight, inbetween shifts. Payday arrives, £138 is removed from his wages for the room charge - I wonder who did this? Providing consistent, reliable hard work will land you nowhere, as most staff end up working with responsibilities far too great for what they are credited for. Also, everything that is promised will never be implemented. You're attempting to work to the brand standard, without the necessary tools and equipment. Problems may be raised and a promises are made to silence you - solutions involve spending money, which the annual £1m+ profit apparently cannot handle! This results in an evident substandard level of service, which can't be avoided, and is overall embarrassing for the - more...
Pros
Experience
Cons
Hours, Gm, Health and safety standards, Staff food +99 more
Absolutely to not to go place .... understaffed , workload is just unbearable, no support from management team constant rush and yelling.Staff rotation is just out of the range - most of departments lacking with basic training, fluency in English or any experience in fields of hospitality.You will be ask to work without breaks , your holiday requests are always under fire. Your pay is never correct , your late shifts will leave you walk back home as no shuttle service contribution is provided by company. Awful, unpredictable and dirty hotel. I feel so sorry to anyone who ever stayed ( guest) or confirmed to work in this hotel. Each internal audit failed for the last 3 years in row. Fire safety or as a matter of fact any polices assigned is constantly neglected. This is in my opinion The worst place to work I have ever had opportunity to work at.
Cons
The gm thinks he is a little hitler , no training to the staff and expects them to know what they are doing , most don’t speak a word of English , it’s run like a joke
Pros
Non
Cons
Long hour
They expect from new head housekeeper running the department without any treaning. Everybody talking bad about GM. People didn't get paid correctly...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long hours, alone for 135 rooms, no treaning, no enough people's for work, stress, pressure
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at DoubleTree by Hilton?