DoubleTree by Hilton
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

DoubleTree by Hilton Employee Reviews in Bloomington, MN

It was a nice place to work, but they gave me too much to do most nights and not enough room to explore my interests: gift shop maintenance and audit process writing. The pay and benefits were nice for my job. I got periodic overtime.
We were a very busy place. It was a union hotel so it came with its own extra procedures. It was a great experience for my career .The building was very old and needed a lot of renovation.
Pros
very busy place.
Cons
Not enough employees
Management was micromanaging to say the least, their rate of pay was just not enough for me to make a living. Stressful work conditions, felt like you were being watched by the minute.
High stress Lack of a work/life balance Upper management Exec team dysfunctional at best I love hospitality but the work atmosphere was less than idea for a happy life.
Huge old kitchen facility filled with broken equipment.. Extreme swings - one day you cook for 60 and the next is 600+. You get overtime and the next week you file for reduced hours unemployment. They do not layoff. They cannot effectively manage make or buy. They feel we are all overpaid because of the union benefits. This is an example of lazy managers who engage in a type of communism where the folks with the most skills and desire make up for derelicts on Facebook all day long. They are starting over since Interstate.. I don't recommend working here because the tenured staff disdain any type of improvement. Despite your talents the dishwashers are your boss. They broke my heart.
Pros
Union benefits
Cons
Impossible expectations
Depending on the day of the week a typical work day comes with lots of phone calls about their bills being charged wrong or over charged. Reconfirming reservation for the day. I enjoy the people i work with. The hardest part of working for such big conventional hotel is management, front desk is always short staffed. Manages are usually pretty busy so it makes it hard guest that want an answer from someone with a tittle.
Pros
free lunch, Discount for Hilton property world wide
Cons
management company.
The place and people are great. Its a team building experience. It gives you a lot of experience and makes you much more confident in what you can handle. They work around people. Ant create a great space
Pros
free lunch
Cons
huge building, old hotel
I loved working here, there was always something to do , i got to meet people from all around the world, all walks of life. Management was great, staff was great.
Very large hotel and convention space. Needs a little more updating but overall a great place to work. Great job culture as well.
Its a new experience with every customer you get. Co-workers are nice and fun.
I worked at this property when it was the Sheraton Bloomington. The management was great an really cared about their employees. The hotel was bought by a new management company and became the Double Tree. I was there when the new management took over and they were not as nice and the benefits were terrible.
A. Starts @ 8 pm, ends @ 4:30 am love when there's multiple events non- stop work. B.Each night I'm prepared something new, and always open for suggestions, and leaned to listen when it's busy. C.Management is doing the best they can under their circumstances D. My co-workers are hard working individuals, been employed for years, my department co-workers been there 15-35 yrs,myself 4. E. Seeing something done unfairly, dishonest, and not accordingly to the rules & guidelines. F. Knowing that at the end of the day, I've done my very best & was productive as possible.
The typical week at work involves scheduling, creating/re-creating food & beverage menus. Implementing Excel spreadsheets to monitor stocking products, keeping inventory and evaluating the sales success of each menu item. Pre-shifts with service staff includes food & beverage training, including wine & beer knowledge, along with reviewing standards for professional and personable service. The hardest part of the job is motivating all staff, in high-volume, to keep positive attitudes when they may have made mistakes or having difficulty keeping up. The most enjoyable part of the job is continuing to perfect professional service that wow's business travelers. Making them feel like they are at a home away from home. Serving people is truly a gift in itself!
Pros
Free cafeteria, free Hilton educational classes
Cons
Short breaks, varying schedules for management pending on volume & conventions