DoubleTree by Hilton
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

DoubleTree by Hilton Employee Reviews in Norfolk, VA

accesses the needs of the hotel for the day. how to maintain a steady food cost. Great friendships but at times extremely long hours. Work place is enjoyable.
Pros
great work family, seeing the success and growth of the department, learning how to build upon my skils for futher advancement.
Cons
sometimes put in close to and over 80hrs. a week, Often no time for my own life for a low salary.
Never work there the whole building has mold an it is falling apart. All the rooms smell from either pets, an they allow pets all threw the hotel or just from being old.
I learned to clean by company standards and O.S.H.A guidelines. I also learned to be quick and manage time. I learned how to be a excellent cleaner and to comply with guest.
My experience in the Hotel business is the life and different cultures I come across at times some good and some bad there are different situations you handle everyday with different attitudes as well but over all you can get through it
Pay is 8.50 starting and don't work too many hours. Don't really get benefits from company except discounts to get hotels...a lot of labor into cleaning rooms and laundry. Sweat a lot. Don't get many breaks. Not really worth working so hard for such low pay.
Pros
Money
Cons
Short breaks, pay for lunches, no benefits.
Management and facility unorganized..low pay,building is old and needs to be updated.Most managers are unreliable disrespectful and don't know how to talk to their employees. I've seen alot of good employees leave because of disrespect from managers.
Pros
You can get a discount on hotel rooms
Cons
The DoubleTree doesn't provide great healthcare
Good working environment, great management staff and associates. Some difficulty funding for property enhancement but managed well. We also had fun even when you were hard at work.
Pros
Great associates.
Cons
Benefit costs
A normal day of work consisted of helping guest check in and out of the hotel. Most of the time business was slow unless it was the weekend but overall I enjoyed the position.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
Pay grade
Typically as a houseman you are to strip vacant rooms as well as rooms that check out. I learned how to do these things, as well as take out trash and dump linen in laundry, as well as vacuuming hallways, cleaning vending areas, putting stuff on shelves. The place is fairly managed, and usually you can find answers from supervisors, who are generally friendly. The culture does, however, not appeal to me all that much, since most of the activity is in the laundry room or other places that could use some better air quality. The hardest part aside from those things would have to be being patient with housekeepers when they are finishing up, as we cannot actually leave until they are all done. The most enjoyable part is finding stuff in the rooms that has been left behind, such as non-opened water bottles and such.
Pros
Free items sometimes left behind, discounts on restaurant items.
Cons
Long hours depending on work day, lack of air conditioning
this was a good job for me, the doubletree had a lot for me to do because the stayed busy, my manger gave me the ropes to what housekeeping was all about. she gave me a tour of the hotel before being then one of my co workers taught me how to clean the rooms. this hotel was a beautiful seen and the people/customers made this job even better , they gave tips if you did a good job and also some even left chocolate for me .
Pros
tips, and pay
Cons
alot of cleaning, and stayed busy
Front desk agent- I enjoy meeting and communicating with people as well as assisting guests as much as I can. on typical day I check in and check out guests. I deal with credit card transactions and cash handling on a daily bases. Because, the Doubletree is a airport hotel we have contracts with airline companies; authorizations with the airlines in assisting their employees with booking of the rooms. Very little supervision is required at the front desk. I enjoy my job to the fullest its very rewarding when one can put a smile on a guest face is priceless! :)
It was a struggle daily. There were way too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Plus if you did anything good you were never applauded but if you messed up you were given too many warnings and sometimes warnings can get to the point where you think you will never get fired.
Pros
when overtime was given it was given in LARGE amount
Cons
no consequences for anything
its a good company to work for unfortunately its about an hour away from my home would like something closer. I am the night audit supervisor. I manage the schedule and employees to make sure they know what they need to do and that they are doing it to Hiltons standards.
cleaning rooms daily change linen make up beds dust vacuum clean toilets and tubs sweep and mop 20 to 30 rooms a day
Pros
30 mins lunch break
Cons
15 mins break
A typical day at the restaurant would start with me coming in and setting up my bar counting my register and making sure all my prep is done. I learned a lot about dealing with different types of people. The management was great and I really liked my co-workers. The hardest part of the job was when we would be understaffed and end up with a full house of customers. The best part as going home with cash in my pockets every night from tips.