DoubleTree by Hilton
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

DoubleTree by Hilton Employee Reviews for Switchboard Operator

The loyal long term employees were very helpful. The building is old but has a charm . I miss working there but had to resign for more important obligations.
Pros
free lunches & parking
Cons
Gossip
I love working here. They love to take care of their employees. The job is kind of stressful but it’s bearable because of nice coworkers. I would work here again
It was a great working experience as there was many opportunities to prove myself. The staff and the management was fine to work with and it's a good place to work.
Pros
Opportunities
Cons
Nothing bad
This was the best job I ever had. Management was wonderful. There was never a problem adjusting schedule for appointments etc. I was able to get plenty of overtime. All the other employees were very helpful during my training and always friendly.
-You can defenitely grow in this industry it just depends on management. -System is easy to learn. -Hours are good -All hilton properites have beautiful lobbies and most are getting newly renovated.
Fun workplace, co-workers are nice, teamwork is a plus ! Fair benefits, paid vacation, free lunch, employee holiday parties. Fast paced environment although limited time or space for promotion. quarterly bonus were also given to employees.
Pros
Free lunch
at my time there was great I was promoted within 90 days, and gained more experience, to help me move to better things, great team and management would reccomend
Pros
promotion
Cons
Hotel was under new renovations, hotel was not experience or equipped to handle the jobs or environment! The managers was getting fires by corporate left and right and our GM made it clear he was not going to be there permanent so he acted as if he didn't care what was going on around his hotel.
In this small office it is dark and unprofessional. Management is like a popularity contest and they do not care about employees. I hated working here, they were horrible. Gossipy females with twisted agendas.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
A day at Double Tree you never no what going to happen like any job it could be a good wen you walk in or it could be a very busy day to busy for one person sometimes . The guest are great and my co worker I love them to death.
Very inviting and warm place to work. There is a strong sense of community that makes the time spent there less like a chore.
I have been employed with this company for 5 years. I enjoy working in PBX and with my co-workers. I have learned a few job procedures while I have been employed with the Doubletree. There is no advancement, and hours have been cut. I am looking to better myself, so I need to look for a new employment opportunity.
Pros
Paid Holidays
Cons
401K, Life insurance
I was a PBX operator I would answer all phone lines for the hotel I would Transfer customers to room/room service or transportation also the front desk to help them with their wants and needs
Pros
company paid for our lunches on ocasion
Cons
breaks wer not that long
Great employees Affordable benefits Good location for downtown Detroit
Pros
Great benefits
A typical day at work would consist of operating the hotel's switch board system to answer inquiries, address concerns, collaborate with other departments within hotels, set guest wake up calls, and transfer incoming and outgoing calls. On occasion there were situations such as a guest who fell ill or who was irate and became violent that required me to call for 911 assistance, elert security, and notify managers. When cases such as these would arise, I would notify all proper parties, send an email to my immediate supervisor as well as the Reservations Manager, log all information that pertained to the incident, and follow up with security regarding the end result. Working in the PBX/Operator room helped me learn how to descern when there are situations not visible but evident over the phone that needed immediate attention. This allowed me to become more alert and time sensitive to any situation. It has also helped me understand the importance of maintaining a calm attitude in a high stress, high demanding envirnment. The PBX/Operator department consisted of only nine individuals. Each of my co-workers were all reliable and would offer their assistance when needed. The hardest part of the job was not being able to physically assist irate guests with their needs when another department failed to do so. However, what I enjoyed most was speaking to people of different cultures and making their encounter over the phone with our department a pleasant one.
Pros
Becoming familiar with different cultures
Cons
High volume of calls when understaffed
Operate communication systems, such as telephone, switchboard, intercom, two-way radio, or public address.Answer incoming calls, greeting callers, providing information, transferring calls or taking messages as necessary.Route emergency calls appropriately.Relay or route written or verbal messages.Place telephone calls or arrange conference calls as instructed.Perform clerical duties, such as typing, proofreading, accepting orders, scheduling appointments, and sorting mail.Contact security staff members when necessary, using radio-telephones.Keep records of calls placed and charges incurred.Greet, register, and assign rooms to guests of hotels or motels.Verify customers' credit, and establish how the customer will pay for the accommodation.Contact housekeeping or maintenance staff when guests report problems.Make and confirm reservations.Issue room keys and escort instructions to bellhops.Keep records of room availability and guests' accounts, manually or using computers.Perform bookkeeping activities, such as balancing accounts and conducting nightly audits.Post charges, such those for rooms, food, liquor, or telephone calls, to ledgers manually or by using computers.Compute bills, collect payments, and make change for guestsRecord guest comments or complaints, referring customers to managers.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
always was on time
Satisfying to make other people comfortable. Sometimes as a hostess in the night club I could not make everyone happy as the fact that I took carding customers to heart and would not let even a steady customer in if they brought someone with them that did not have an ID, this is a firm no for me. So no I did not always make people happy but The Club was safe from loosing its license with me at the door. There were no people that I worked with that I ever had problems with such a warm and friendly work place.
Pros
dinners provided in the break room, comfotable work environment
Cons
that i ended up moving.
naswers the phone and check reservations are the typical work of the PBX operator and make wake-up calls. i learned a lot on how to deal with different people and how to handle issues.Management, they are nice and easy to get along but sometimes they don't listen to what the employees wants.
Pros
we have a free lunch and free snacks
Cons
shorts hours and salary is not enough
Hotel is poorly organized. Yes you have good days and bad but majority of my time at this hotel has showed me that this hotel is not held very professionally and lacks a lot of work policies. I have learned some very important things about the hotel work life and I love enjoy and love them for the things I have learned. Typical day at this hotel is very hectic the drivers were my biggest problem but sometimes my easiest and most helpful. the most enjoyable part of this job is my coworkers. I am a very social person and have created some great friendships with the ones I have worked with.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
no breaks, not enough drivers, poorly staffed.
Doubletree was an good place to work. The whole staff from the back office to all the business' in the hotel were very nice and helpful. I did not get that many hours because it was a down time for hotels at the time, so I had to get another job. If I could get a fulltime job there, that would be awesome.
Pros
free lunches, awesome cookies