Downer Group Employee Reviews

Well worth the experience working at Downer
Long reach mower (Former Employee) –  Wanganui, Manawatu-Wanganui29 November 2019
I enjoyed working at Downer but I was lead to believe that I was permanent full time , I dont know what happened but was played off, I was driving the long reach mower a job I enjoyed greatly, and was very disappointed when I was told that there was no more work for me, but in saying that working at Downer I would recommend to anybody
Always busy with faults
Team Leader Substations & Electrical (Former Employee) –  Masterton NZ18 November 2019
Very good work place if you are after making a bit more money than normal, however the company appreciates very much for the extra work, very safe place to work.
Would recommend working for downer
Team Leader Garden's (Current Employee) –  Levin, Manawatu-Wanganui16 October 2019
I really enjoyed working for downer as a company they look after there staff well. Have in house training which is benifit all. Great company culture I would definitely work for them again. Job security well my position was made redundant after loosing one of their contracts which they had to do. They had great support to help staff gain employment elsewhere which I was very impressed with
Had a hard time there at end
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato14 October 2019
Nice place to work. Management in some departments take time to understand . Enjoyed working with various people and groups. They are very good for helping you get licences and qualifications
Relaxed workplace, and plenty of overtime.
Truck Driver/ Operator (Current Employee) –  Albany, Auckland12 October 2019
Great team spirit and able to get the job done efficiently.
There is a need to tidy up the care and maintenance of vehicles, machinery and general equipment.
Excellent company
Lineman (Former Employee) –  Auckland, Auckland12 September 2019
Excellent company and people great focus on health and safety modern fleet of vehicles good work and life style balance lots of job opportunities for further advancement with in the company
not a good emoyer only care about money
despatcher (Former Employee) –  Mount Maunganui, Bay of Plenty23 July 2019
worked there 4 years had 82cents payrise only worked shifts no shift allowance managers getting richer workers poorer got a kid in from auckland downers who came to mount maunganui utilities and got shut of all the original hub staff so she could get her mates set on from auckland eastern manager wanted this too and now manager fired off and hub leader gone to road science to r
North Shore branch has one of the worst work culture I’ve ever came across!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  North Shore, Auckland30 May 2019
People are treated poorly... no leadership, no clear direction, no training providing or any career development. My manager was good with her spreadsheets, but had absolutely terrible people skills. She wasn’t a good leader and just a terrible manager. The whole team hates her and waiting when she will get another job somewhere else.
Pros
Great people
Cons
A very bad manager
Nouvelle expérience à l'étranger
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Nouvelle Zélande15 March 2019
-Contrôle de la circulation (informer,assister et sécuriser les automobilistes)
-Aménagement des infrastructures terrestres avant travaux sur chantier (Installation des panneaux, balises, cônes de signalisation)
-Travaux publics ( entretien, rénovation et construction du réseau routier)
Pros
Emploi à l'étranger
Cons
60 heures par semaine
good company
TELECOMMUNICATIONS TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  NZ22 January 2019
I do not like the way Indeed rearranges the Resume posted. It messes up everything. Can you guys not leave it as attached?
About Downer, it is a well-structured company
workplace
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, Waikato9 December 2018
Overall the workplace is a good place to learn from, but also the work colleagues are awesome and they have great work ethic. I really enjoyed my time there.
Able to grow me professionally and personally
Asset Information Engineer (Former Employee) –  NZ16 November 2018
Thankful to the organization for the wonderful working years of experience. I was able to grow me professionally and personally. All the hard work has been paid off.
Pros
Good working environment
Cons
Longer hours of work
Good work environment
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Christchurch, Canterbury10 August 2018
I was in a crew of 6 top blokes
Our team leader brilliant health and safety very good
The best part of the day was the debrief of the day over a cold beer
Pros
Good overtime
Cons
Long days
Supportive Workplace
Contract Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dunedin City, Otago30 April 2018
Large company that were willing to invest in staff development

diverse range of work and opportunities across the different sectors

there was a process for everything like many large organisations, that seem to take unnecessarily long
Pros
training
Cons
A lot expected of my roles resulting in long hours
Staffs are rude
Electrical Inspector (Former Employee) –  Auckland13 February 2018
Today there was road works carried on my street and no signs were visible but down the road was stopped by a ride work and when asked for the sign failed to show one.
When call to the head office with complaint of the staff been so rude the office staff was even worst.
Wow downer is losing its touch with people.
Qualitative testing and fun place
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland11 February 2018
I was working on project at NCTIR, it was a whole challenging project.it was first time I was working individual and was challenging at start to managing all client test request and submit reports. It was good experience to learn management skills. it was a good team and we have a fun time over a weekend.
Pros
Learning never stop
Fun place to work, organised
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  131 Kerrs Road Manukau10 February 2018
- 24 Hour service centre- good team work
- I have learned that of safety for fellow staff out in the field working sometimes in very poor condition very of vital importance.
- I had learned to use the GPS tracking of technicians vehicles for their safety
- completion of work tickets in timely manner paying attention to high priority jobs
- the workplace had good team of people and was fun to work with.
- often we celebrates fellow staff birthdays and /or farewells
- I loved the impromptu exercises we had at least once and twice a day where we all get up and do exercises, shake our bodies and laugh for about 5 minutes and then settle for work.
The hardest part was when the weather turn bad. Tickets for fault comes flying in on Spark exchanges, Vodafone's cell sites or Auckland councils properties etc.
Trying to work out the priorities on each jobs was very difficult especially if it happens on weekends.
Technicians Managers were helpful in organising his area of staff for deployment and things get fun again.
Pros
Christmqas gifts from company, fornightly shared lunches, farewell and birthdays celebrations
Cons
Sometimes staff shortages, unable to get tech to attend to job
See also later review
Quality Assurance Engineer (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland3 February 2018
The role was on a fixed term contract in the quality / project engineer role.

The contact was part 2 of a 2 part contract, installing steam pipes, from geothermal well heads to a new geothermal power station in the central north island.

Downer were, reportedly awarded the work in preference to the stage 1 contractor, in part to due to the clients dissatisfaction with the Stage 1 contractors documentation of their work.

Downer set up a well defined and resourced process for controlling quality and producing documentation for the works. My job was to deliver it.

The project had a number of challenges, including constructability issues and time pressures. The new steam pipes needed to be ready in time to turn the turbines in the new power station when they were ready to start earning the client money to repay their investment.

The project was successful for both my employer and the client and led to the offer of more permanent employment with Downer. The project convinced me of the benefits of a well defined process.
Pros
Great team spirit.
Cons
Long hours & time pressure.
A growing Infrastructure construction and maintenance company
Project Support Engineer (Current Employee) –  Auckland3 February 2018
Downer NZ has a number of divisions including Road Maintenance, Technology, Transportation, Road Science, and Infrastructure Projects. It has changed a lot in recent times making some important acquisitions in building and building services.

Downer operates in a number of ways, including term contracts, alliances, and tendered projects.

I work in the Infrastructure Projects division which has, over the past three years, evolved from regional teams working on local projects, to a one team philosophy, lead by two general managers split geographically - North Island based in Auckland and South Island based in Christchurch.

This change required site staff to become more flexible over location, with extended periods working away from home. For me this has brought both pros and cons such as travel and increased income but a reduction in work life balance and much time spent away from loved ones. Others view the opportunity to spend 12 months to 3 years working at different locations around the country, on larger infrastructure projects, some of National importance, as a major draw card for working in this division of the business.

The New Zealand Pike River Mining disaster, brought with it law changes that have forced all major Australasian companies to review the way they manage risk.

Downer NZ Infrastructure Projects is no exception and is looking to become more process driven, as reflected in it taking on ISO 9001:2015 accreditation this year and investing in a new governance team to develop it's Integrated Management System (IMS and improve it's Project Management
  more... Method(s).  less
Pros
Importance of the work
Cons
Work life balance
lovely experience
Traffic Controller (Former Employee) –  Auckland City, Auckland8 January 2018
loved every minute of working at downers. management is great and understanding. All employees were a pleasure to work with, lots of fun I recommend all new comers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Downer Group. Our community is ready to answer.