Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews
Downer Group Employee Review

If you're related or in the click you'll go far

9 June 2020
You have got no hope of succeeding in this company if you're not related or in the click.... Extremely bad behaviour is tolerated if you're one of the group. I witnessed intimidation and bullying by all levels from management down to the extent that the poor bloke went on sick leave then resigned, and he was a permanent employee. You've got absolutely NO hope if you are a casual........
10 August 2018
Same role
Labourer (Former Employee) - Christchurch, Canterbury
I was in a crew of 6 top blokes Our team leader brilliant health and safety very good The best part of the day was the debrief of the day over a cold beer
Pros
Good overtime
Cons
Long days
28 January 2015
Same role
Labourer (Former Employee) - Otorohanga, Waitomo
Typical day at work with downers started with a morning coffee and chat with workmates before heading our seperate ways to our work sites, i learnt a wide range of skills which i thought was bit hard and confusing at 1st but my workmates were there to explain the job at hand well and also helped me out when i had bit of trouble aswell as taught me how to operate the machinery involved with some jobs when i got qualified aswell as my license to operate the machinery on site. Mangement at the time was awesome and understanding with me instead of dropping me in the deep end and sending me out on jobs i knew nothing about instead they paired me up with 1 of the experienced guys and crew to help me out. The hardest part of the job was having to leave the awesome crew and workmates i was working with and management who taught me alot of the skills i picked up within the industry. The most enjoyable part of the job was turning up everyday chatting with workmates aswell as mangement, they made me excited bout getting up and going to work everyday because not only were my workmates a bunch of awesome, funny and easy going people they made you feel like you were apart of their family and made the depo and workplace feel like a safe place to work.
16 August 2020
Driver class 2 Mower operator. (Current Employee) - Tauranga, Bay of Plenty
Always under pressure to do the work and meet deadlines. A thankless job. Very few compliments for hard work done. Wages are minimal. Training is minimal. Career advancement is nil.
Pros
PPE Gear provided
Cons
Hard work for little rewards, low pay.