Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

Always under pressure to do the work and meet deadlines. A thankless job. Very few compliments for hard work done. Wages are minimal. Training is minimal. Career advancement is nil.
Pros
PPE Gear provided
Cons
Hard work for little rewards, low pay.
since I began to work for Downer learned a lot of skill, learned how use a variety of machines, that because happen after I got my tickets at Downer excavation,skide steer, roller, Chainsaw, etc, all this tickets enabled me to become multiskilled worker, as matter fact I am proud working for Downer
Bully team leaders. Never believe the lies about being bullied is not allowed ,they do it and let it happen. Team leaders will belittle you on site ,over the 2way and it's ok with management.
Pros
Cons
Team leaders are bullies.
Downer is a fantastic company to work for. They care for the workers and management listen to your contribution and always try to improve work environment. I rate them a 5 🌟 company to work for.
Good organisation that is going through changes and and is keen to be competitive in the marketplace as well as deliver to clients.

Good safety culture with regular interface with Senior Executives to review performance and initiatives.
Pros
Quick Access to decision makers.
Cons
Information flow sometimes slow and not complete.
It was a short term contract from HP to backfill a full time employee . Excellent corporate culture , good salary and Work life balance. Willing to work there again.
A typical day at work for me is experiencing new tasks and daily challenges.Working with qualified Tradesmen constantly teaches me new skills using power tools and refreshes my health and safety knowledge and the priority of my Duty of care daily when on site.Managements main priority is keeping employees safe with zero incidents and injuries and returning us all safely home to our families. Downer encourages a multicultural work environment.Adjusting to different shifts, especially night shift is the hardest for me. The most exciting part of the job for me is being able to work on a variety of mine sites and adapting to the surroundings.
Pros
Camp facilities
Cons
I am a Shutdown worker
Awesome company to work for
Good people great culture,

Management was helpful and welcoming

All equipment available and in good condition stores was fully equipped with tools that was needed for the job.
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Non i can think of
good working place. immediate boss however was not good to work under as he doesn't give any discretion. it will be advised that immediate managers should look at working proparly
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Downer Group?
Fast paced with well organized project management. Follow strict work safety guidelines and encourage employees to adapt to these guidelines. Opportunities for learning and growth.
You have got no hope of succeeding in this company if you're not related or in the click.... Extremely bad behaviour is tolerated if you're one of the group. I witnessed intimidation and bullying by all levels from management down to the extent that the poor bloke went on sick leave then resigned, and he was a permanent employee. You've got absolutely NO hope if you are a casual........
Working at Downer was definitely a learning experience if one is new to the industry and thrown into a situation where he/she is put in the deep end with minimal training and an understaffed team.

There is little to no room for error, but with a plant that often breaks down and with miscommunication between upper/middle management running rampant, you will often be scapegoated into blame.

Staff morale is incredibly low due to questionable pay-rate decisions, continual condescension from management, and a failing safety culture where injured staff are being coerced to attend work anyway.

Overall, I would only recommend this workplace if you do not have any family or social obligations, and are desperately seeking new work experience.
All aspects of Injury Management.
Relaxed working schedule, Flexible start Finish times to allow work life balance

Safety first. Supportive

Leaving

Work Colleagues- always ready to assist.
Was a good place to work, great opportunity to up skills if you put in the hard work, only problem was the turn over of management, know one knew how long they world last, and all had to many objectives.
Buen ambiente, excelentes compañeros, y jefes oportunidades de crecimiento
Great company to work for.
I have learned a lot from the people working at Downer, in the technical division.

I had to leave the company due to my work visa that expired.
Fast paced environment, challenging staff issues, communication was not the greatest and management were not easily available. They do have a good health and safety plan which is communicated well.
Pros
Work vehicle.
Cons
No recognition for long hours
great team ,100% polices and procedures always felt safe and well looked after.
always team toolbox start of day.

dress code full ppe gear always.

management guidance and encouragement .

delivering a top product.
Great people to work with and interesting projects however financial renumeration that is often promised is not often followed through.
I do like the company though and valued my time here.
very hard fast paced work but kept food on the table the management was great and showed you how its done very well, id recommend this to anyone that isn't afraid of hard work
I enjoyed my job and time with this company. It was good steady work. Go for it. They are a good company. A lot of great scenery to look at while you work too.