Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews

Always under pressure to do the work and meet deadlines. A thankless job. Very few compliments for hard work done. Wages are minimal. Training is minimal. Career advancement is nil.
Pros
PPE Gear provided
Cons
Hard work for little rewards, low pay.
Pre start, how the job is going, any questions or inquires and then given your job for the day. Was given the opportunity to try new things and to make sure that we all went home at the end of shift to our families. Everyone was great to be around and more than happy to give you advice and let you learn new things.
Pros
Free bbqs
Cons
Good experienced Supervisors, who know what they are doing, and get results being right with people. Any problems are addressed and people are listened to.
Very good work place if you are after making a bit more money than normal, however the company appreciates very much for the extra work, very safe place to work.
I thoroughly enjoy employment with Downer as the Management are great to deal with, answer any questions I have and any problems sorted out immediately. A good work place environment, fellow workers are also ready to do a good days work without any fuss or bother. Always doing a high standard of work and adhering to Safety rules keeping everyone safe.
Downer is a great place to work everyone is willing to help.after my first week i was part of a well functioning crew so happy for the opportunity Downer gave me.
very understanding at the start Indirect discrimination at the extreme level A lot of promises but no out come Lured into the trap of promotion and as per the company requirements I found out after 2 months there was never such thing team leader position and got pushed away from home which added up one extra hour of travel
The group has a complicated structure which gives rise to interesting and varied workload. The culture is political which provides opportunity to improve stakeholder engagement skills.
Good work culture , have not hammered us to much so work gets done in time required . If they push too much people leave . Usually good ones first as they have most options. So much work comming up in this sector ,they may need to create different options maybe allow flexability in which segment of the company personal can move too . Otherwise good people have to go to opposition which is dumb.
Pros
Good supervision
Cons
Poor camp logistics and food.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Downer Group?
- far from home but a good work environment with a lot of learning opportunities and chances to travel under good management and a strong bind between other companies
Pros
good hours and travel oppurtnities
Cons
far from home
I really enjoyed working for downer as a company they look after there staff well. Have in house training which is benifit all. Great company culture I would definitely work for them again. Job security well my position was made redundant after loosing one of their contracts which they had to do. They had great support to help staff gain employment elsewhere which I was very impressed with
Nice place to work. Management in some departments take time to understand . Enjoyed working with various people and groups. They are very good for helping you get licences and qualifications
Great team spirit and able to get the job done efficiently. There is a need to tidy up the care and maintenance of vehicles, machinery and general equipment.
Dynamic fast paced role typical of mining construction projects. Seeing the project evolve and coming to life is very rewarding. Has the usual challenges & time constraints of remote sites.
Like any company now. When the unions lost good footing the companies took advantage of this and took away wages and conditions. Now when you speak up your gone no strength with the people anymore.
They are very organized in tools and the supervisors are easy to work with.I worked few times in bhp port never had a problem in management.great worked environment.
my Work as water service man is to repair burst water main and service line. I’m really good with people I’m friendly and I work hard. Hardest part of work is when bosses keeps on changing shifts
Excellent company and people great focus on health and safety modern fleet of vehicles good work and life style balance lots of job opportunities for further advancement with in the company
Think twice before you decide to work for this company where you meet up with lots of rude colleagues as they prefer to speak their own language rather than English. It's a place where there is no time for morning greetings. There is limited communication between the workers and the company has poor management.
Company is very supportive to the workers. The management is looking after the workers. The communication between the workers and the management is well planned. It is so good to work this company because there is no decrimination they also avoid bullying, so the workers are working as one and has teamwork. Abuot the salary they give as upto date on weekly basis.
Pros
Byo
Cons
12 hrs daily mon-fri
Currently a Foreman in Central NZ. Top level management have lots of great ideas (too many) constantly pushing new things and taking bites too big to chew. This then gets spat on to the supervisors, who brush it off to the front lines. The foreman’s and leading hands get covered in all the rotting mess and then the whole management chain above them criticise them for looking sloppy. Targets being raised, budgets being cut. Upper management wasting time increasing job scopes with leaders being given job forms on the day of job and literally no pre organisation done by mid management. No plant, no material or tools. All foreman rushing to prepare each morning and stealing from each other. Team members leaving from all crews constantly leaving rag tag teams band aided together being mixed n matched every morning. Safety and QI tripled since start of financial year. Not in any real sense just triple time wasted in making office look good while jobs becoming more and more rushed, less safe and started doing reworks on other foreman’s site lately, before there work never failed. Pushed every angle through and above chain of command, nobody cares they just want targets and an office tug circle at end of year party. Bottom level workers are mostly really good guys n girls Recommend working here, assertively ask for every ticket you can get ASAP then leave like the all the smart and decent workers do
Pros
Pay for licenses and tickets
Cons
No planning from management, if you try in your evenings they’ll change your job on you in the morning