Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Perth WA

Most of the blokes were easy to get along with, except some of the supervision who had big ego's and little inexperience in diplomacy. Materials were sometimes slow in being sourced and brought to the job front and gear,(welding machines, mag drills, etc) were always in demand. The job was sometimes a bit slow but i guess that was not Downers fault as that was the way the client ran the project. All up not a bad mob to work for.
The contract changes every few years now the job is being handled by a company called Lend Lease. The job itself was very much a lot of fast responses to vehicle crashes and traffic management.
Terrible culture managers run by other peoples opinions,no common sense,bullying within co-workers,the worst job I have had in my life,no help from HR who are based in other states
Pros
Cons
Bad management
company promotes its self as a tier 1 and is well structured but unfortunately this not the case. many personnel are struggling with the recently introduced systems however there is not support to train personnel.
Great industry and wonderful suppliers. Never a dull moment with a new challenge and project with each customer enquiry or request. Fantastic corporate culture that is supportive and caring.
Had a great learning experience with Downers they offered me great opportunities to further my skills and knowledge within the mining industry. Provide all the necessary means for new comers onsite Just an overall great company to work for
Excellent employer with many facets to their service offering. Specialised in rail industry and mining services. The One Downer approach have been an integral part to wining large projects.
Pros
Many facets to employment opportunities
Cons
Lack of local operations for Downer Rail.
The company has many divisions but the section i worked within was very poorly run. The lack of smart leadership meant that the overall project and project team suffered.
Very Safety focused and well geared and organised and cooperative Management Leadership and Team Members.The job was very spread out and lots of distances by foot had to be covered.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Downer Group?
I loved working here! The management staff were wonderful to work with, if there was an issue they dealt with it appropriately. The training was sufficient and ongoing.
at times it was a great place to work. a few people i worked with are now my good friends, but mostly employees in the field felt unappreciated and like they were stuck. morale was general quite low.
Pros
plenty of over time
Cons
unstable rules and morals, no chance of progression
Very friendly and professional company who take great care in getting to know their staff and ensuring that all relevant training is needed. Would recommend
Long hours but worth it! - I learned to work well in a team environment - Management was fair - Diverse workplace culture which is a plus - Being away from home for long periods is the down side to this kind of work - Socializing and using the recreational facilities was on the up side to the job on the mine
Pros
Recreational facilities
Cons
being away from home for long periods
Learning all aspects of theElectrical Trade. Installing Lighting towers. Pulling cable and trench works. Operating and learning to use different types of mobile equipment.
Great place to work with an excellent team and environment. Positive team with support from all levels. Would not hesitate in working for Downer again.
Toolbox meeting in the morning about works for the day and crew assigned. Management was fantastic will dealing with different situations that occurred. Gain a lot of knowledge and skills in the electrical industry.
Pros
Fantastic crew
Cons
Excellent company to work for very professional and well organised setup. I worked as a maintenance and breakdown technician with this company
Morning prestart and discuss jobs and tasks for the day and assign them to the work crew on site. Commercial construction experience Good solid management and supervisory staff Good guys to work with. Made the job a lot easier. The hot days were really hard but working with a good bunch of guys really made the difference.
My everyday work would involve pre start meeting every morning to discuss relevant tasks throughout the day that would have to be carried out or completed. Im a fast learner and always driven to learn something new. I can well in a team environment and I'm a very easy person to get along with. I do thrive on working alone as well, as in some jobs/tasks, too many cooks can spoil the broth. The hardest part of the job is expecting nothing ever to be "perfect" but to thrive and make the best out any situation and do it the best I possibly can. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to develop amazing relationships you do with co-workers and being able to bounce ideas off each other is a key in this industry.
Pros
Support myself and my family
Cons
Hot weather
Good Company to work for enjoyed my time there. The company treated there employees very well. Good stream of work. Happy
a typical day @ work began with psi meetings/back to site etc safety is important to listen to all instructions from supervisors @ psi meetings an taking over from operators any changes to pit/signage etc being part of the team was very important looking out for each other hardest part of job is getting into routine once u have that mastered life onsite tends to settle so you can focus on the task at hand the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting people from different walks of life
Pros
community atsmosphere
Cons
typical split shift/routine