Downer Group
Receive weekly updates, new jobs, and reviews

Downer Group Employee Reviews in Sydney NSW

Typical rail and construction sites. willing to train and induct workers in areas the downer group are working in. Management are good the only management are the people on site. consistent with standards with the in electrical field. Work with the sites sometimes requires other skills and can be good to with equipment required. Not much mucking around with work all workers are keen to help and aslong as your working the work keeps rolling in.
Pros
good team leaders
Cons
can b hard to get to at time.
Think twice before you decide to work for this company where you meet up with lots of rude colleagues as they prefer to speak their own language rather than English. It's a place where there is no time for morning greetings. There is limited communication between the workers and the company has poor management.
Safety Orientated and take pride in ensuring that construction workers get home safely. They need to increase diversity and inclusion as this is an area that lets them down.
workplace culture at downer was the best I have ever worked.Management is friendly and always helpful. Always ready to upskill their employees for their better future.
While a lot of companies have already experimented with outsourcing to offshore contractors, realised it doesn't work, and brought the roles back into local offices - Downer is only just beginning this experiment and there is very little job security. The office in North Ryde is basically the same as any other North Ryde/Macquarie Park office, the pay is around average, sothere is not much incentive that separates it from the many many other corporate jobs in the area. Accept that it is particularly slow, offers very little in the way of growth (both salary wise and personal development), and offers zero perks. I would say it's good for someone looking for short time employment, but even then it's nothing special
Pros
Flexibility (though not all departments are flexible)
Cons
Unsecure; no development; slow moving; no perks/incentives
: continues work for 6 day's with overtime : improvement of my knowledge to work with and to share my : knowledge to my co worker : always updated for what is going on and what was happening : good environment : is to be a part of it to finished the job safe
Pros
free ute as a transportation
Cons
long hours with overtime
When I worked for Downer, I had a great team and a pro-active manager with a driven attitude. I wanted to stay there for longer, however my visa expired.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
Distance to travel
Overall a good responsible company to work for from a contract point of view. A typical day at work would be a meeting with the team I worked with to update where the project or tender was ahead or behind schedule and put measures in place to meet schedule. Then head down and do what I was contracted to do. The work was enjoyable as most staff were prepared to help when necessary. The company had a good safety, environmental, and quality culture.
Pros
Always felt comfortable with staff and management.
Cons
No treal cons. My contracts with Downer were usually short duration so difficult to make comment.
New Train with long term project encouraging for long term career goal. Due to lack of vision from management ends up big failure. Frequent change in mid management level make everyone life measurable.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Downer Group?
Opportunities were good with Downer. They work on divirse contracts and projects accross Australia. Good employee benifits and market level salaries. Good Management Systems.
• International Project, Design & Risk Management experience • Ability to delivery large multi-disciplinary projects successfully • Project Management under NEC Contracts • Excellent Leadership skills • Organisational adaptability
Bad culture. Management has an attitude of working people into the ground until they leave. Lack of vision. Not a collaborative workplace at all. Avoid if you dont like working for authoritarians.
Pros
Used to pay well
Cons
Long hours, indecisive management, weak management, high turnover of staff
It was a rather good company to work with. Lots of challenges working across all states of Australia. A Calculative culture, with pockets above and below. Safety is important from the corporate office
Average workplace. Helpful atmosphere. Poor Training and IT support. Co-workers are helpful and supportive As this was a contract job and we are from different company and running different project so management was not sure about our work.
Really enjoyed working there as a contractor. Great atmosphere. Learned a lot on the job and felt my input was valued by my manager and my team.
One of the best companies i have worked for. Co workers really eager to help in any way they can. Hardest part of the job is BBQ every month (joking).
Cons
My first job in Australia. The company underwent a paradigm shift in the business model and now it is rollingstock asset management company. So the experience is quite diversified and rewarding.
Mechanical design New challenge every day friendly work environment
Pros
New experience
Cons
manufacture